MLB 2008

A dubious feat, fitting the Dodgers' weak offense. The Dodgers have outstanding pitching, but they just don't have enough bats. A very frustrating team to watch, as they're not often blown out but just lose for lack of run support. Injuries have been a problem, and it got worse today. Not that he's a big bat, but Juan Pierre just limped off the field a short while ago after suffering a knee injury on his 35th successful stolen base of the season.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought you guys would be all over this:

Angels no-hit Dodgers, and lose!

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...tsBaseball/home

Fifth time in major league history.

But its not an official no-hitter because the Dodgers didn't bat in the ninth. so its more of a curiosity than a real feat.

Dan, Elias be damned. I'm surprised you buy into that. When the game ends and one team doesn't have any hits, it's a no hitter, "official" or otherwise!

Dan

Have you ever destroyed a TV / a wall while watching the Bosox play?

Shit, what Sox fan hasn't?

Francoma doesn't even get to me anymore... friggin' Lugo takes all the pressure off him. This guy redefines what it means to suck royally. I guess we're trying to reverse the karma of Pumpsie Green!

This just in: Bullpen needs help. I predict Coco goes for a RP before the deadline.

Giants take two out of three from the A's.

Saturday with Lincecum on the mound- 1-0

Today with Sanchez pitching- 11-1

You know, the A's took out a full page ad in the San Francisco Chronicle bragging how they have dominated this year's version of the Battle of the Bay. Saying it isn't much of a battle. I wish they'd do that stupid crap more often :lol:

Why? Because the Giants just waved bye-bye with their knuckles.

Blam!

How do you like us now, A's fans?

Edited by GoodSpeak

We now know that Jeter is the most overrated player in baseball, as voted by his peers. But I'm curious about a few other things:

Which catcher has the best chatter behind the plate?

And what do the first baseman and base runner talk about while they're standing over there at first?

Which park has the best food?

Which park has the worst bullpen areas (I noticed at Wrigley the other day they were thin little strips. Also heard on a broadcast that the architects forgot about bullpens when designing the park in San Francisco, so they're off to the sides also.)

What are those seats atop the Green Monster like for viewing a game?

Why are they still using phones that look like they were designed in the 1950s to communicate with the bullpen?

I've notice that when pitchers throw to first to hold the runner, the catcher will, just prior to the throw, make a little hop to shift himself over to the first-base side of the plate. It's almost a bang-bang kind of thing. Is this one of the signs to throw to first?

Dan

Have you ever destroyed a TV / a wall while watching the Bosox play?

Only once; and I think I had a damn good reason. It happened immediately after Posada hit the double off of Pedro that tied the score in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS. With the sole of my foot (I was wearing sneakers), I kicked the plaster that was underneath the bar/island section of our kitchen (it was an apartment). After the second or third kick, it separated out a bit from the stud. When we left, my wife had to apply some filler material and re-paint it.

What are those seats atop the Green Monster like for viewing a game?

My wife and I had to make a trek to Boston in 2005 to see the World Championship banner fly, and the seats for the second game we saw were atop the Monster.

They are f-ing awesome!

The fact that you have a counter in front of you and bar stool seats with backs make them easily the most comfortable in the park - remember that they never switched out seats that were designed for turn of the century heights and physiques. But as for the view, its perfect. Binoculars may help to really see if its a ball or a strike (I used the zoo lens on my 35mm camera) but its a great way to see a game. The only problem of course is that you have the blind spot of anything hit to the wall, as well as a blind spot for portions of centerfield.

The only thing that made our trip less than a complete pleasure was not realizing how cold it could still get in mid-June in Boston. My wife spent more time in the line for Legal Seafood chowder than watching the games.

Do you guys ever talk about anything other than that Eastern Baseball shit?

I mean, really...is that all there is in your baseball lives? Eastern Baseball and that's it?

There is more to life than the fucking Yankees and BoSox, Boyz.

Trust me on this one. OK? <_<:rolleyes:

I mean, really...is that all there is in your baseball lives? Eastern Baseball and that's it?

We also talk about midwestern baseball, specifically the Cubs.

We might care about Western baseball when there is a team in the NL West when there is more than one team over .500.

We might care about Western baseball when there is a team in the NL West when there is more than one team over .500.

Oh! That was cold... true, but cold. :excited:

I'd like to talk about the Dodgers... but, really... why? San Diego was just outscored by a tee-ball team... San Fran - Barroid* is rather... eh... bland? I mean, one of the flying Molina brothers was batting cleanup last I saw... Seattle... let's not be mean, we'll just leave them out... I hate Scocia, so I refuse to discuss his team (though I have two of his pitchers on my fantasy squad)... Oaktown? Nah. Really, what do you want to discuss? Why don't we just wait till October when the Sox wipe the smirk off Scocia's face... again. :rsmile:

We could talk West Coast basket... oh, wait... nevermind.

Well, I like to watch the Angels and A's, whenever I can. Not much to watch in the NL West though, is there? The D-Backs started out the season pretty strong, but are 3-7 in their last 10. And while they've dominated the West, they have losing records against the Central and the East.

The NL Central is great. Cubs are a blast, and they're heading to St. Louis in early July, so that'll be worth catching. And the old Brew Crew are playing well, too. Even Houston has team that can do some damage (to both the Rays and Sox, and the Rangers, too). So I like that NL Central a lot.

The NL East is a mess, with not one team over .500 in the last 10 games. The Phillies are 2-8 over their last 10, and lead the freakin' division. :crazy:

And the Marlins did not look like a cohesive team at all during the Rays series. Going through the motions, it almost seemed like.

I see.

So winners are all you guys are about then, eh?

Which NL Division provided two treams to the playoff the last two years, eh? Who was the runner-up in last year's WS? And who knocked off the arrogant Yankees in a WS?

That would be the NL West.

Tell you what, I'll be glad to remind you all of that when your guys suck....you know, like not winning a World Series in over a million years.

Bank on it.

Oh! That was cold... true, but cold. :excited:

I'd like to talk about the Dodgers... but, really... why? San Diego was just outscored by a tee-ball team... San Fran - Barroid* is rather... eh... bland? I mean, one of the flying Molina brothers was batting cleanup last I saw... Seattle... let's not be mean, we'll just leave them out... I hate Scocia, so I refuse to discuss his team (though I have two of his pitchers on my fantasy squad)... Oaktown? Nah. Really, what do you want to discuss? Why don't we just wait till October when the Sox wipe the smirk off Scocia's face... again. :rsmile:

We could talk West Coast basket... oh, wait... nevermind.

Righty-O.

Colorado was in the WS last year and the NL/AL West has provided quality playoff teams in the ALCS and NLCS for the last several seasons.

How soon we forget how AZ kicked the smug Yankees' butts in the 2001 WS. Your precious Boston couldn't do it until after the D'Backs did.

Eastern arrogance knows no bounds, apparently.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Well, I like to watch the Angels and A's, whenever I can. Not much to watch in the NL West though, is there? The D-Backs started out the season pretty strong, but are 3-7 in their last 10. And while they've dominated the West, they have losing records against the Central and the East.

The NL Central is great. Cubs are a blast, and they're heading to St. Louis in early July, so that'll be worth catching. And the old Brew Crew are playing well, too. Even Houston has team that can do some damage (to both the Rays and Sox, and the Rangers, too). So I like that NL Central a lot.

The NL East is a mess, with not one team over .500 in the last 10 games. The Phillies are 2-8 over their last 10, and lead the freakin' division. :crazy:

And the Marlins did not look like a cohesive team at all during the Rays series. Going through the motions, it almost seemed like.

And that would be this year, yes?

Do you guys stop talking Eastern baseball when your teams suck?

So let me get this straight - you are clinging to past glories (something that happened SEVEN years ago + a fluke run to a World Series sweep) as reasons why easterners should give a crap about the NL West???

Tell you what - no one is stopping YOU from talking about "western" baseball - so have at it.

And we'll continue to talk about our concerns.

I thought you guys would be all over this:

Angels no-hit Dodgers, and lose!

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...tsBaseball/home

Fifth time in major league history.

But its not an official no-hitter because the Dodgers didn't bat in the ninth. so its more of a curiosity than a real feat.

Dan, Elias be damned. I'm surprised you buy into that. When the game ends and one team doesn't have any hits, it's a no hitter, "official" or otherwise!

There was a 28 year old minor league journeyman who threw a rain-shortened no-hitter against the O's at Fenway on the last day of the 2006 season. Should he really get credit for a no-hitter?

How's this for non-Eastern baseball talk:

Hey guys, the Tigers and the Twins made major moves in the last three weeks or so, the Twins with a ten game win streak and the Tigers with a very strong month that has seen them fall to a season-worst 12 games under .500 (iirc) to standing above. 500 today.

Should their fans be concerned that this came in interleague play? Wait a sec, let me check the schedule ... Yup, the previously woeful Tigers went 10-2 against the NL West and six of the Twinkies ten successive wins came against San Diego and Arizona (there ya go, Goodie - Western Baseball talk).

Interesting quirk of the schedule that after getting healthy against the NL, and predominantly the NL West, these two hot teams play each other starting tonight in Minnesota. Good time for a reality check now that they are finished with the AAAA league.

Personally, I think that while Yankee fans may think of themselves as within striking distance of the East, the more realistic concern should be the wild card, and specifically the possibility that the Rays/Red Sox, Twins and yes, the Tigers, could be stiff competition for that spot. No team has started 0-7 and won but with the Tigers at .500 and climbing, they have a definite shot.

I'll never rule out the Yankees -- if only because it allows me to focus my hatred. Interleague sucks and should go away. I know it's great to see teams play each other that don't usually get to do so, but that's been in place for over a century -- it's called the World Series.

Don't get me wrong, Goodspeak, I love baseball in general, even the pathetic state that is the West this year. However, it's fun to watch you have a tantrum just because people are passionate about their own teams. Funny, should I expect you to chat about the Sox? Probably not.

I like the Cubs, and appreciate the rivalry between southside and northside, but if I have to spend one more Sunday night watching Ozzie Guillen stare at the camera, I think I'm going to take a hostage.

Now, back to the really good stuff -- I love that Tampa Bay is finally showing its promise. I just hope it keeps up. I'm tired of the Spankees and Red Sox every year, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sacrifice the hometown team in the name of variety. So here's the Spanks going the way that that terrible mustache of Jason Giambi's ought to. Next two series for the Sox ought to be some of the most exciting baseball we've seen in ages, and I'm really counting on some good ball -- maybe even a Donnie Brook!

And I promise, I will do my best to talk about the West now that interleague is behind us and the West can get back to losing against the East in their own league.pokenest.gif

Edited by Thom Keith

FWIW, the Rangers have been hovering right at .500 for almost a month now, and have yet to win more than two games in a row in that span. The upside is that they haven't fallen below .500 in a long time; the downside, of course, is that they haven't gotten much higher than .500. At some point, someone down here (probably a Rangers front-office type) will be saying that the Rangers have actually improved over last season.

Okay, technically. I guess it could be (and has been) far worse. But .500 ain't gonna get you anywhere, unless you're in the NL Worst...... er, West. First place held down by a team with a .500 record? How pathetic is that?

FWIW, the Rangers have been hovering right at .500 for almost a month now, and have yet to win more than two games in a row in that span. The upside is that they haven't fallen below .500 in a long time; the downside, of course, is that they haven't gotten much higher than .500. At some point, someone down here (probably a Rangers front-office type) will be saying that the Rangers have actually improved over last season.

Okay, technically. I guess it could be (and has been) far worse. But .500 ain't gonna get you anywhere, unless you're in the NL Worst...... er, West. First place held down by a team with a .500 record? How pathetic is that?

Al, I'm going to assume you see more of them than I get to. Is Saltalamacchia ever going to make the next step, or did the Braves really pull one off?

And that would be this year, yes?

Do you guys stop talking Eastern baseball when your teams suck?

We talked about the Red Sox for 86 years , during which we never won the World Series and we had some suckey teams.

Thats what we do here , follow the SOX

I think it would be hard to argue that the AL East hasn't been consistently the best division in baseball for some time. Right now four of the five teams in the division are over .500, and the Rays have the best record in baseball. The last-place team in the AL East has a record that would put them in second place in the NL West barely two games back.

Since realignment in 1994, Arizona, Anaheim and St. Louis are the only teams west of the Mississippi to have won the World Series. The AL has an 8-5 lead over the NL during that period, and 6 of the 8 WS wins for the AL during that period were by teams in the AL East.

If you add in that 3 of the 5 NL wins during that period were by teams in the NL East, you have the AL East and NL East producing 9 of the 13 WS champions since realignment.

And of those four WS wins outside of the AL and NL East, two were by Midwestern teams (White Sox and Cards), and one by Arizona. That leaves Anaheim. The single team from the West Coast to win a World Series title since realignment.

EDIT: Having said all that, I love watching the Angels and A's. And of course when the Dodgers and Giants tangle.

Edited by papsrus