• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Check out this from a NYT column about how Red Sox fans view Manny:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/16/sports/b...html?ref=sports

¶Sharon Mendeleyev of Boston said: “Manny. He let his team members down. He’s supposed to be part of the team; he should be playing like a team member, for the other guys. He didn’t.”

¶Rob Williams, Boston: “I think they should have kept Manny. He’s a great teammate. Papi has suffered because Manny is not here batting in front of him.”

¶Igor Mendeleyev, Boston: “Ramírez did not play up to his full potential — perhaps he was holding back, and he wanted to be traded, perhaps even pretending to be injured. I’m disappointed. He gets paid extremely well to play at a major league level and he played below his potential.”

¶Ron Walker, Boston: “I thought it was sad, considering all Manny has done for this team. I thought it was not a very professional way for the Red Sox to send him out. The guy comes to camp ready, he comes on time. His numbers speak for themselves. Papi is suffering, the team camaraderie is suffering. At the end of the day, Manny needs the Red Sox and the Red Sox needed Manny.”

Could this clown only find pink hatters to interview? Manny batted in front of Papi? Manny showed up at camp on time? I think he did that exactly once, this year, when he thought if he worked hard to get in shape and showed up on time, they'd rip up the option years and sign him to a four year deal. And what the hell does it mean to say that "it was not a very professional way for the Red Sox to send him out"? How should they have done it? Tried optioning him to Pawtucket first? Manny was the ass who failed to conduct himself in a professional manner.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Whew ... what a night here in downtown Philly. You would have thought the Phils won the WS with all of the noise last night. I only got about 4 hours of sleep but hey I'm not complaining. :) This town will absolutely EXPLODE if they somehow manage to win it all.

Condolences to Noj and the rest of the Dodgers' fans. You guys have a good strong nucleus to build on and should be contending for years to come.

Well, the Sox have exposed one glaring weakness of the Rays. Obviously, they have no dominant closer. That display of relief pitching was pretty pathetic. Every hit the Sox got from the 7th on was legit, no bloopers or seeing eye hits. Good thing, the Rays are coming home, although that by no means is a guarantee they'll win one. This coming day off is not one they welcome, I suspect. Pressure!

Just think, Dan, Zen and so many of the Nation missed this! :excited:

Seriously. How many TV's in Red Sox Nation were turned off before the bottom of the 7th??

Ok , i will admit it ! I turned it off after one out in the 7th it looked OVER!

My friend calls me and tells me Papi hit a 3 run jack , so i turn it BACK ON and Witness the biggest comeback in

ALCS.

I actually passed up tickets for this game.....aarrrggghhh.

Oh. My. Fucking. God.

:g

Seriously. How many TV's in Red Sox Nation were turned off before the bottom of the 7th??

I can't believe it, Zen. You're the one insisting they had a chance, I said it was OV-AH, yet you give up in the seventh, and I watched the whole thing.

Well, the Sox have exposed one glaring weakness of the Rays. Obviously, they have no dominant closer. That display of relief pitching was pretty pathetic. Every hit the Sox got from the 7th on was legit, no bloopers or seeing eye hits. Good thing, the Rays are coming home, although that by no means is a guarantee they'll win one. This coming day off is not one they welcome, I suspect. Pressure!

Well, we'll just have to see if this has put the pressure on the Rays, and whether this has truly lifted the depression hovering around the Sox. One thing is for sure, that comeback was at least as unexpected and shocking as Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS. I mean, we had gone the equivalent of 3 full games without hitting a lick. And I must point out, while I did not necessarily have any premonitions, I did choose to put on my

CURSE OF THE BIG PAPI

t-shirt for this game.

Game 6 comes down to pitching, and whether or not the Sox bats are back. If they are back, and they pummel Shields, there's a chance, albeit not a large one, that they could even survive another blowup by Beckett. If Shields pitches as he did in Game 1 and Beckett pitches as he did in Game 2, nothing will save them. But if Beckett somehow works around his physical limitations (maybe working backwards and throwing the fastball only after its set up with curves and changes?) and the bats keep it up, then they've got a real shot, and I would see Game 7 as actually a favorable matchup because Garza is a bit of a head case and I don't expect Lester to suck two times in a row.

And one more thing:

In 2003, after the Red Sox won Game 6 in New York to force that fateful Game 7, the Red Sox were so presumptuous as to go ahead and paint the World Series logo in the grass at Fenway. And we all know how that turned out.

Well, I read on the Boston Globe website that at Tampa area Publix stores, you can buy a Rays World Series baseball.

So the question is, have the Rays jumped the gun and angered the baseball Gods? We'll find out.

Mine was, but it had nothing to do with the score. It was a combination of my 5:35AM start time and what was waiting in the interim between the sheets! :excited:

I haven't seen the 9th inning of a playoff game during the week this season. MLB needs to remove its collective head from its ass. Why are they so worried about west coast prime time viewers? This is an east coast series! I know MLB does not own the networks, but they sign the contracts. Asses.

That was indeed one of the great games I've ever seen and I've been watching baseball for almost 50 years. Of course, I wasn't around in 1929 for the only comeback that was better: the Cubs-As game.

I had fallen asleep and woke up in the 6th inning when it was 5-0 and figured it was definitely over when it was 7-0. When it was 7-4, I said "too little, too late" but thought, well, let's score two at least in the 8th and tie it in the ninth. When it was 7-6, I thought "damn, those two runs they gave up in the 7th is really going to cost them." Otherwise, they would have been up 6-5. Incredible ending obviously.

Incredible at bats by Coco Crisp and Youkilis. What can you say? Just a fantastic ending. I'm not sure it would go down as a great game, particularly if you're a Rays fan, but a great ending. I guess that does, in fact, make it a great game. One for the ages.

Why not start Lester in the sixth game. He'll be going on normal rest. He should be better than Monday and he's more reliable than Beckett. Let's face it unless you can win game 6, saving him for game 7 doesn't mean much. If they do get to game 7, then start Beckett but on a very short leash, with "all hands on deck" as they say in the trade.

Edited by Brad

My friend calls me and tells me Papi hit a 3 run jack , so i turn it BACK ON and Witness the biggest comeback in

ALCS.

I actually passed up tickets for this game.....aarrrggghhh.

Good thing. You probably would have left the game early, too. Just imagine how those people feel?

Couple of observations (from someone who actually did watch pretty much the whole game): The Rays made the mistake of thinking (like everyone else) that the game was over. And they started playing that way.

* Upton takes a bad angle on a ball to deep center and it glances off his glove. He should have had it.

* Longoria's bad throw that would have ended the inning. He makes that throw 99 times out of 100.

* Gross had a better shot at catching the game-winning double than I think he thought. He was certainly close enough to make a better play on it than he did.

* Even though they got a couple of runs off Papelbon, they also left some ducks on the pond there, playing like the game was in the bag and this was all icing on the cake.

* And Maddon should have yanked Balfour as soon as he sniffed trouble. Not like he hadn't seen that implosion before.

If they play like that again Saturday and (if necessary) Sunday, the Sox should win the series. I just don't see Maddon allowing that to happen again.

Anyways, great ,great comeback for the BoSox. Enjoy it. :party:

The computer was shut off but the TV remained on. Helluva finish! I had a feeling it was over when Longoria made that error. Youk on second, no outs..... only a matter of time. Still, Drew's hit even sent shivers down the spine of this life-long Red Sox hater. :g Seriously, I may hate a team, but I LOVE a good ending, and that one was one of the best!

Youk was on second with two outs, Al. Pedroia grounded out and Papi struck out. So they were an out away from sending it into the tenth, where they would have had to get another inning out of Masterson. After that it was Javy Lopez, Mike Timlin and Paul Byrd. I told my wife that they had to get this thing done quickly because the bullpen couldn't possibly keep them down for long.

Paps, you are right about Upton, the proper path to the ball allows him to catch it. I don't think Gross had a chance though, the ball was stung, and directly over his head. Baldelli might have had the legs to make up the ground.

Brad, when you have to win twice, what's the point of moving your best pitcher to the first game? To win, Beckett and Lester have to come up big. Let's see if Beckett tries a new approach to make his diminished stuff work. The only problem is that he can be a stupid, stubborn son of a bitch so he probably won't make any changes.