MLB 2008

Youk was on second with two outs, Al. Pedroia grounded out and Papi struck out.

Yup, that's right. Believe it or not, I was fighting sleep while watching (literally trying to keep my eyes open, it's been a loooooooong week) and even this excitement couldn't keep me completely coherent. Wow, two-out rally! That makes the ending that much more exciting! And like I said, show's you how much I was paying attention. :D

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brad, when you have to win twice, what's the point of moving your best pitcher to the first game? To win, Beckett and Lester have to come up big.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that that's exactly what the Red Sox did in '75 when they moved Tiant to 6 and pushed Bill Lee to 7. I remember this because Bill Lee still complains to this day. :) There were a few days of rain though which allowed the rescheduling.

I suppose if both starters still get adequate rest the thinking is that the better pitcher is more likely to take care of business in game 6 so in game 7 there will be more arms for the "everybody pitches" scenario. It didn't work so well in '75 however.

Edited by Quincy

The thing is what do you get with an "all hands on deck" scenario? Wakefield? Maybe Dice-K for a couple of innings instead of Byrd? Realistically the bats have to hit like the Rays have been hitting, or Beckett has to somehow, someway find his form. I really don't see it happening given what we know about his condition, but I will say this - I'd rather lose with him on the mound in Game 6 than get to Game 7 and have him get hammered then.

Because if they win Game 6, I will once again be "all in".

The thing is what do you get with an "all hands on deck" scenario? Wakefield? Maybe Dice-K for a couple of innings instead of Byrd? Realistically the bats have to hit like the Rays have been hitting, or Beckett has to somehow, someway find his form. I really don't see it happening given what we know about his condition, but I will say this - I'd rather lose with him on the mound in Game 6 than get to Game 7 and have him get hammered then.

Because if they win Game 6, I will once again be "all in".

I sort of agree but what's the point of saving Lester if you can't get to game 7. Moreover, I believe he would be on normal rest (although the post season tends to mess that up). You would need Beckett but I'd like to make sure they get to a game 7 first.

Good point about all hands on deck. Regardless of when Beckett goes, who is the first guy out of the pen if he lasts only a couple of innings?

They did a poll on WBZ-TV and 74% of people polled said they missed the comeback .

They just showed the Sox working out in Tampa , it was optional BUT the whole team showed up !!!!

Tampa did not work out today ........

You would have thought fans would have hung in until the bitter end. Glad I saw it. However, I do fess up to missing the 88 Kirk Gibson HR against the As. I woke up right after I hit it.

Anyone else suspect that the first order of business for Beckett will be to put one in the general direction of Upton, Pena or Longoria's ribs? In fact I wouldn't mind actually hitting one of them - get in their heads, plus with the history and the situation, they'll warn both benches. Shields was stupid enough before to plunk Coco in retaliation right away, if he "protects" his guys, we could get him out of the game that much faster.

Beyond that, those guys have been allowed to own the inner half of the plate and that has to stop. And remember, Pedro sent Matsui sprawling in Game 5, after another epic comeback to stave off elimination, and "Godzilla" didn't do anything the rest of the series.

And you know Beckett is the kind of guy who wouldn't hesitate.

And you know Beckett is the kind of guy who wouldn't hesitate.

Pretty sure Maddon would keep his guys focused. Mid-season's a different story, but I don't think they'd take the bait today. Should be a charged atmosphere tonight though. I'm working, but will be able to watch the game there, of course. I'm almost halfway hoping we have some sort of classic tonight that breaks Boston's way in the 9th and the series goes to a fever-pitch Game 7. ... :rfralmost halfway hoping.

Edited by papsrus

In fact I wouldn't mind actually hitting one of them - get in their heads, plus with the history and the situation, they'll warn both benches. Shields was stupid enough before to plunk Coco in retaliation right away, if he "protects" his guys, we could get him out of the game that much faster.

Or we could man-up and beat them by playing better baseball, beating their best with our best.

WTF ... TBS technical difficulties!? No fuckin' feed??? Are you kidding me?

And how fucked up can the feed be if they aren't even staying in the studio, maybe narrate or say something about what's going on? And get this - that "TBS Hot Corner"? There's a feed on mlb.com. Four camera angles. How can that go over the Net but they can't broadcast? This sounds like one fucked up situation that won't get resolved anytime soon.

And just like that, a motherfucking home run by Upton.

That was weird! I was checking out TNT, TBS, everywhere. Couldn't figure out how the game had been rainout out indoors! I never saw a crawl whenever I flipped by TBS...

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - TBS had technical difficulties and wasn't able to televise the start of Game 6 of the American League championship series between Boston and Tampa Bay on Saturday night.

TBS was experiencing router failure in Atlanta, which caused transmission problems, Rays spokesman Dave Haller said.

TBS spokesman Jeff Pomeroy didn't immediately return a telephone call from The Associated Press seeking comment.

In place of the game, TBS televised an episode of "The Steve Harvey Show." A crawl on the screen ran repeatedly, saying: "We are experiencing technical difficulties."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2008...tory?id=3650780

well, that was officially the first and definitely last episode of the Steve Harvey show that I will suffer through. I already thought TBS was incompetent before tonight's screwup with FrankTV, but to inexplicably lose the opening inning is outrageous.

well, that was officially the first and definitely last episode of the Steve Harvey show that I will suffer through. I already thought TBS was incompetent before tonight's screwup with FrankTV, but to inexplicably lose the opening inning is outrageous.

It'll be the highest-rated Steve Harvey show ever, too! :crazy:

Game 7

What pleases me is that now we see the true level of competition between these two teams. Had the Rays finished us off in Game 5, the impression given that the Rays are young and strong and quick and the Red Sox are old and slow and injured and that it really isn't much of a comparison would have pissed me off for a very long time.

Now we find out

If Lester really hit a wall or just had a bad game. I'm betting on the latter and think that he'll give us seven and possibly eight innings of very good baseball. The fact that the Rays were just a game over .500 against lefties and the team OPS was lowest against them gives me added hope.

If the Rays really can be the ultimate resilient team. Everything was lined up for them, but Shields proved that he's received his nickname very prematurely. The bats were quieted by a guy who is still hurt but got it done, and a rebounding bullpen. Garza has pitched well, but how will he react to the pressure? He's been a hot head in the past. Will Sonnanstine come in if Garza gets in trouble? Or Edwin Jackson to give them innings? The depth in their rotation could be an advantage if the Red Sox put up a crooked number, but it won't be a great advantage if Lester pitches like he's capable.

One thing is for sure - the Rays were supposed to be relaxed going in because they still had the advantage. Now its the Sox who can feel a little more relaxed as they've been here, done that (or as the sign said at Fenway, Been Here Won That) and the Rays have to be feeling the pressure.

Very tidy game. What I liked about the Red Sox is that every time the Rays scored, the Red Sox responded. It's plausible what Maddon was saying: that after game 5, they put it out of their mind. However, when they all went their separate ways last night, I'm sure some had to be thinking: Man, we were this close. Maddon says everything is a learning experience but it's a tough way to learn. I've got a feeling that tonight will be a blowout one way or the other. Hopefully, it's the Red Sox doing the blowing. I wouldn't bet against them at this point. Although past history is never a predictor of the future, when you're up against it like the Rays are, it has to get them thinking a little bit.

Hopefully, it's the Red Sox doing the blowing.

This sets me up to comment on the record setting number of double entendres from Buck Martinez. Now, it helps that I was watching with 2 of the most sophomoric minds on the planet, but when he talked about how Varitek, "Straps it on every night," we missed about a half inning laughing. That notwithstanding, I really like his insights and commentary.

So, the over under on Martinez' Dierdorffesque double entendres this evening? I'm going to say it's about 13, and I'll take the over.

Now, it helps that I was watching with 2 of the most sophomoric minds on the planet, but when he talked about how Varitek, "Straps it on every night," we missed about a half inning laughing.

Ever since that Matt Stairs quote it seems like I'm hearing more comments like this by announcers. :lol:

The batter vs. pitcher numbers (which were small samples anyway) have been tossed out the window. Youk was 0 for 17 vs. Shields before the playoffs but has hit his ass hard in the playoffs. (Er...sorry.) There are other examples. Tough to hang too much on such tiny numbers.

But one thing I'll be interested to see though is if Tampa moves Bartlett up in the order. He gets on vs. LHP and even has some punch and seems to be a better pick than Iwamura. For a team that is so quant-oriented it seems like a move to make.

Aki is still leading off and Bartlett is still number nine. Cora in for Lowery. If Tek and Cora manage 3 hits between them, there's a chance we'll be in good shape. We may survive an oh for, but I'd think we'd do well if those two do hit.

I would leave Lowery in , thats a mistake he has better range than Cora . Maybe Cora does better against Garza?