like someone in love

pacoriera

In addition to the Coltrane and Garland versions on my iPod, I have the following:

Stan Getz/Kenny Barron People Time

Stan Getz East of the Sun

Lee Konitz Mosaic Tristano, Konitz, Marsh Set

Harold Land Promised Land

Hampton Hawes Four!

Elmo Hope Elmo Hope Trio

Duke Pearson Profile

The Drummonds (w/ Renee Rosnes) When You Wish Upon a Star

Cecil Taylor Hard Drivin' Jazz

Art Farmer Modern Art

Art Blakey/Jazz Messengers Like Someone In Love

After a quick dip into the various versions....the ones that stick-out are the Hawes, the Hope, the Farmer, and the Blakey.

In addition to the Coltrane and Garland versions on my iPod, I have the following:

Stan Getz/Kenny Barron People Time

Stan Getz East of the Sun

Lee Konitz Mosaic Tristano, Konitz, Marsh Set

Harold Land Promised Land

Hampton Hawes Four!

Elmo Hope Elmo Hope Trio

Duke Pearson Profile

The Drummonds (w/ Renee Rosnes) When You Wish Upon a Star

Cecil Taylor Hard Drivin' Jazz

Art Farmer Modern Art

Art Blakey/Jazz Messengers Like Someone In Love

After a quick dip into the various versions....the ones that stick-out are the Hawes, the Hope, the Farmer, and the Blakey.

The version by Art Farmer and Benny Golson (and Bill Evans) on MODERN ART is my winner ... hands down!

Edited by garthsj

In addition to the versions mentioned, may I also recommend:

Piano Trios:

Herbie Hancock with Cleveland Eaton and Teddy Robinson, from Miles Davis in St. Louis (VGM). A live bootleg from when Herbie was with Donald Byrd.

Tommy Flanagan: Trio and Sextet (Onyx)

Ahmad Jamal: At the Blackhawk (Cadet)

Michael Weiss Trio: Milestones (SteepleChase) as a ballad in B major.

Also:

Ernie Henry: Seven Standards and a Blues (Riverside)

Sonny Rollins: Sonny Rollins Plays (Period)

thanx everybody... i was looking for a vocal version... i like the lyrics "gazing at stars, hearing guitars ...

Frank Sinatra sings the hell out of "Like Someone In Love" on "Songs for Young Lovers/Swing Easy." These were the first two Capitol sides from 1953/54 originally released on 10-inch LPs, then combined on a 12-inch LP (I think) and now on CD. Essentially stuff. Great version of "Violets for Your Furs," his first crack at "I Get a Kick Out of You" and lots more.

Instrumentally, in addition to those already mentioned, Kenny Dorham plays it beautifully on Art Blakey's "At the Cafe Bohemia, Vol. 2" (Blue Note) -- same arrangment that became Lee Morgan's feature on Blakey's "Like Someone in Love."

Edited by Mark Stryker

I think it's a tune that would lend itself perfectly to a punchy, medium-to-fast tempo arrangement by a hard bop quintet - the sort of thing the Hardman/McLean Messengers did with "Stella By Starlight" and "My Heart Stood Still". The versions mentioned above by the Dorham/Mobley/Silver Messengers and Farmer/Golson are gentler than the one I have in my head! Perhaps Harold Land did what I'm looking for, but I haven't heard Promised Land.

Edited by BillF

thanx everybody... i was looking for a vocal version... i like the lyrics "gazing at stars, hearing guitars ...

Frank Sinatra sings the hell out of "Like Someone In Love" on "Songs for Young Lovers/Swing Easy." These were the first two Capitol sides from 1953/54 originally released on 10-inch LPs, then combined on a 12-inch LP (I think) and now on CD. Essentially stuff. Great version of "Violets for Your Furs," his first crack at "I Get a Kick Out of You" and lots more.

I agree - my landlady's daughter had the 10" of "Songs for young lovers" in the early sixties and I've never heard another version of the song to beat Frank's. And the whole LP was great.

Actually, I should buy it, shouldn't I?

MG