Three hours on the Crouch

• Yesterday, I sat through the 3-hour Crouch interview on C-Span, and it was as amazing as it often was boring. Still, I wanted to hear what Stanley had to say and, of course, the interview being transmitted live, there was always the possibility of seeing him punch out the interviewer. :D

They took calls, but the callers rarely got an answer--instead, Stanley rambled down a different path, most of the time. He obviously does not take well to criticism, although he should have grown accustomed to it by now. He arrogantly refers to his critics as "minor men." When they read to him an excerpt from a lengthy, negative review of his novel, Don't the Moon Look Lonesome, he immediately tagged the reviewer (an accomplished author) as a "minor" person, and added that he was a man of small physical stature, too. It was gratuitous and dumb.

Inevitably, someone asked about Wynton. Crouch pointed out that there are people who hate him, but that they are "minor men." He said that jazz was considered all but dead when Wynton came on the scene, but that Wynton helped prove that to be untrue. He also called Wynton "the greatest trumpet player in the world," and when asked if that was greatest of all time, he wouldn't come out and say it, but mentioned that someone who had shared a stage with Gillespie and other greats thought Wynton was the best ever. Stanley also referred to Wynton as "an extraordinary composer," and that his success prompted many musicians to believe that they could be as successful, but they could not.

His enthusiasm for Albert Murray seems to have cooled off. Could it be that Murray is becoming a minor man?

Like I said, amazing. :D

How can one be a minor AND be a man, at least legally? I'm confused. Maybe he meant "miner" instead - they come in all ages!

Or maybe he was really saying "My Norman". Maybe it's the latest in hepcatjivetalk and the rest of us just aren't gone enough to dig his crazy lingo.

That darn Stanley - always saying stuff!

I got an email announcing that his Crouchness will soon be talking about Minton's Playhouse at the Museum of the City of NY. The promotional email said he "has written a biography of Charlie Parker that is due out next year." (2004!? - I will believe it when I see it - "due out," remember.)

http://www.jazzmuseuminharlem.org/news.html

Mike

• Re the Parker bio, they showed some footage of Stanley in his office. There were several file cabinets with drawers marked "Parker A-H," "Parker I-S, etc. He explained that this was the book he has been expected to write for 11 years (I think he said 11), and that it would be ready in 2 years, because so many of the people he interviewd have died. Hmmm Shades of Quincy T? :unsure:

Just curious: how come Chris's posts are always indented? Nothing wrong with it, just curious is all. As usual, I don't have anything relevant to contribute to the thread, although I think Chris should get some special award for voluntary self-infliction. Why didn't ya call him up and harass him on the air? The worst that could happen is you might've been referred to as a "minor man," thereby putting you in that upper echelon of other greats who've seen thru the smoke and mirrors that is Crouch.

I guess we can only hope that his novel will not be made into a film.

Then some sweet innocents might be subject to the Casting Crouch.

Tough crowd. I thought this would at least get a :tup but maybe the thought of a poor actress being propositioned by this man

SCrouch1.jpg

offset the amusement of the pun. ;)