ESCAPE FROM MAINE - where to go?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

believe me, it's still worse in Maine -

No offense taken, Allen. But NH is seriously, MUCH worse than Maine. Maine at least has folks like Ken Eisen, and the whole thing happening up in Blue Hill. NH is so parochial and corrupt within it's arts community, I think their idea of cultural film would be an Ozzie & Harriet marathon.

No offense taken, Allen. But NH is seriously, MUCH worse than Maine. Maine at least has folks like Ken Eisen, and the whole thing happening up in Blue Hill. NH is so parochial and corrupt within it's arts community, I think their idea of cultural film would be an Ozzie & Harriet marathon.

I've heard Guam is even worse than New Hampshire.

it would be great to have you move south, closer to boston.

Of all the places I've lived, Boston is easily my favorite. It's expensive as HELL, though. If I could afford it, I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Same here. I regret moving to this shithole.

Are you serious? I mean, it's not like SF doesn't have its faults (annoying public transit, less than perfect jazz scene, no real summer, hippies) but I'd rather live here than 99% of America.

Seriously tongue-in-cheek.

I agree with you on the 99% thing, but it's no Boston. No summer? No FALL; no real SEASONS period! Lack of bookstores, shitty PBS affiliate, lack of trees, lousy library system...jazz scene, did you say? What jazz scene? I could go on, but I don't have all day. (And yet, the real estate here still costs MORE than Boston...go figure.)

it would be great to have you move south, closer to boston.

Of all the places I've lived, Boston is easily my favorite. It's expensive as HELL, though. If I could afford it, I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Same here. I regret moving to this shithole.

Are you serious? I mean, it's not like SF doesn't have its faults (annoying public transit, less than perfect jazz scene, no real summer, hippies) but I'd rather live here than 99% of America.

Seriously tongue-in-cheek.

I agree with you on the 99% thing, but it's no Boston. No summer? No FALL; no real SEASONS period! Lack of bookstores, shitty PBS affiliate, lack of trees, lousy library system...jazz scene, did you say? What jazz scene? I could go on, but I don't have all day. (And yet, the real estate here still costs MORE than Boston...go figure.)

Lack of bookstores selling new books, maybe. The Mission is wall to wall with used books although I admit I haven't pored through them very thoroughly. City Lights stacks up pretty solidly against something like the Harvard Book Store. Public library systems in Boston and SF strike me as about the same...at least the branches I've visited, although maybe the main library in each makes the difference. I was spoiled from the university libraries anyway so any public library was a big step down.

I hear you on the lack of trees, though. It definitely is a bit weird that all the trees are basically concentrated in parks and "undeveloped" parcels of land on hillsides.

SF > Boston in terms of variety of good food. On a two-block stretch of 16th Street you get: 2 tapas restaurants, sushi, chinese, burgers, Breton-style crepes, 2 Indian-Pakistani joints, Vietnamese, Salvadoran, Thai, a taqueria, and a decent Italian restaurant. On the other hand, no pizza place with good and cheap slices exists anywhere in the city's 50 square miles...

Edited by Big Wheel

No offense taken, Allen. But NH is seriously, MUCH worse than Maine.

A friend of mine had a good line - "New Hampshire is the Alabama of the Northeast."

I've never been to Alabama and only been to New Hampshire once - wasn't impressed, to say the least - but it sounded like a good cheap shot to me.

Southern New Hampshire should be renamed Northern Massachusetts. A majority of its inhabitants are transplanted MA people. We all moved here for the affordable real estate. A majority of us work in Mass and pay our Mass income tax. Which reminds me, whatever happened to "no taxation without representation?

Now *Northern* New Hampshire is another thing! I think a property's value is increased by the number of cars you have up on cinder blocks. :D

yes, that and backwoods alcoholics -

Alright, goddamnit, that's *TWICE* now, Allen! :bwallace2:

how is *that* not offensive! :unsure:

:winky: :rsmile: :rsmile: :rsmile:

(it's okay, I'm kidding... now where'd I put my can of beer?)

Edited by Thom Keith

For a complete change:

http://www.kokogiak.com/strangetown/

Some cities with really cool names:

Bigfoot, Texas, USA

Blow Me Down, Newfoundland, Canada

Bonanza, Colorado, USA

Boring, Oregon, USA

Celebration, FL, USA

Chicken, Alaska, USA

Climax, Michigan, USA

Crackpot, England