ESCAPE FROM MAINE - where to go?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're right - I know too much -

well, spoke to the wife last night and the winner seems to be the Boston area (Cambridge, Sommerville, Newton, who the hell kows where) - got at least three years before we can go, anyway, though I had a brief talk with Bob Blumenthal last night - looks like I'm gonna start looking into insurance companies down there as well as academica (Harvard is currently using Devilin Tune in a course; small chance, howevcer, of me ending up there unless I knock up a Radcliffe girl) -

Edited by AllenLowe

...looks like I'm gonna start looking into insurance companies down there as well as academica (Harvard is currently using Devilin Tune in a course; small chance, howevcer, of me ending up there unless I knock up a Radcliffe girl) -

Life insurance companies?

I bet Mrs. Lowe don't play that...

(Harvard is currently using Devilin Tune in a course; small chance, howevcer, of me ending up there unless I knock up a Radcliffe girl) -

There are no more Radcliffe girls (at least no current students).

Philly's a great alternative to Boston. Lots of wonderful neighborhoods in the city and suburbs, culture, history, etc., but generally MUCH cheaper than Boston. Also, easy and quick access to NYC and DC.

And if you're looking for a teaching gig, Philly has over 90 colleges/universities and over 300,000 students (assuming they'd let you near them).

If you wanna know more, we should talk (too much to type here).

In the meantime, take a look at this:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/traveler...510/philly.html

no offense Tom - present company excluded -

I just have found the Portland arts infrastructure to be incompetent at best, and corrupt at worst; one particular arts agency has wasted over $100,000 on literally nothing, and has nothing left to show; the city now won't give any money because there's none to give - the audiences aren't much better; the young kids think of themselves as hipsters but are clueless about anything prior to 1990 and the post-40 generation never leaves the house, while all the time complaining of a lack of grownup entertainment; give it to 'em and they don't show up. The younger musicians are extremely unprofessional, don't show up for rehearsals AND gigs; I've been blacklisted at the two prime arts venues in Portland for daring to give my opinion as to what goes on and for sugggesting they raise their artistic standards. I've had a major festival idea I was discussing with a local venue taken elsewhere (they told me they weren't interested and than produced it with someone else).

a lot of this is, I am told, just Maine, which is weirdly provincial and insular. But I no longer feel, after producing a significant body of work, that I have to prove myself to 20 year olds who have never heard of Julius Hemphill, David Murray, Roswell Rudd or Don Byron - it's just become too much work -

Edited by AllenLowe

Maine doesn't exactly have a reputation as a cultural mecca (neither does South Texas). I'm guessing that's not the reason you ended up there in the first place though, and also that you probably knew Maine was "like that" when you went there originally (?).

If being in a musically happening place where gigs and artists were plentiful was a priority for me, I sure wouldn't be where I am. Names like Julius Hemphill and Don Byron mean probably nothing to 99.99% of the people in my community. But I'm here for different, personal reasons. I recognized I'd be sacrificing the ability to enjoy alot of live music when I came back here in 2003.

I wasn't expecting paradise - just some basic knowledge and cultural awareness, let us say, by people who should know better than they do - it's not just me but a constant littany of complaints by some very talented residents. About 3 years ago I was sitting in with someone at a local space, and afterwards someone came over to me and said "did you know there's another guy named Allen Lowe who plays the saxophone?" He was surprised to find out that I WAS that other guy, and asked me what I was doing here - as I had begun to ask myself.

Portland prides itself on it's local cultural scene, and its "support" for artists (likes to mention the Creative Economy) and it was discussions about such things that helped finalize my decision to move here - I surmised that I could find just one small place to work, which would have been fine, but that place does not exist - I come from a sense that in order to work in the arts one needs to know what is going on, ones needs knowledge of the cutting edge, of who lives where and who performs what - it's something of a professional obligation (in the same vein of musicians who need, in my opinion, to know about what is going on in their particualr line of work) - if you want to book dance, you learn about dance - same with music, theater, etc etc - I've been somewhat shocked by what I've seen here (like talking to a local accordion player who imagined he was very far into 'new music,' and having him say to me, "Guy who?")

it's just gotten too weird and I've already squandered away too much time -

Edited by AllenLowe

But I no longer feel, after producing a significant body of work, that I have to prove myself to 20 year olds who have never heard of Julius Hemphill, David Murray, Roswell Rudd or Don Byron - it's just become too much work -

You'd find a much more knowledgeable and enthusiastic audience for that kind of music in Philly. Just check out this thread:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=23111

it would be great to have you move south, closer to boston.

Of all the places I've lived, Boston is easily my favorite. It's expensive as HELL, though. If I could afford it, I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Same here. I regret moving to this shithole.

it would be great to have you move south, closer to boston.

Of all the places I've lived, Boston is easily my favorite. It's expensive as HELL, though. If I could afford it, I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Same here. I regret moving to this shithole.

Are you serious? I mean, it's not like SF doesn't have its faults (annoying public transit, less than perfect jazz scene, no real summer, hippies) but I'd rather live here than 99% of America.

the young kids think of themselves as hipsters but are clueless about anything prior to 1990 and the post-40 generation never leaves the house, while all the time complaining of a lack of grownup entertainment; give it to 'em and they don't show up.

Wow, you mean there's someplace else like Dallas?

Small world, eh?