Your Biggest BN Reissue Letdown

Soul Stream

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I just think about my BNs, the only one that really stands out in a negative way is John Patton's Understanding. I was expecting a typically groovy outing from Big John, but the sax player he's matched with on this date (Hugh Alexander) doesn't do anything for me (except irritate me) in this context.

I felt the same way when I first got this CD.

Now it's one of my favorites... go figure. :D

If I just think about my BNs, the only one that really stands out in a negative way is John Patton's Understanding.  I was expecting a typically groovy outing from Big John, but the sax player he's matched with on this date (Hugh Alexander) doesn't do anything for me (except irritate me) in this context.

I felt the same way when I first got this CD.

Now it's one of my favorites... go figure. :D

AfricaBrass,

That happens to me alot. I pick up a disc which at first I don't really like, and 6-8 months later I give it another try and bam, I think it is great. In fact, I don't think I will give a cd that I really dislike, even though there may be several. May have to eat my words, sooner rather than later! :wacko::wacko:

Lee Morgan's Sonic Boom. I was so pumped up to hear this, I expected to immediately become rich, famous, and irresistable to women upon hearing it. Well, it is that good, but I don't have any privacy, the taxes are killing me, and if I find one more strange woman in my bed I'm going to become a monk... ;)

I'll add votes for both Grant Green's Am I Blue and Donald Byrd's Slow Drag, which I just happened to purchase at the same time. I need to give both of those repeated listenings before completely making up my wind, but neither really *hit me* initially.

However, the other CD that was purchased at the same time was Passing Ships, which more than makes up for the minor letdown of the other two.

The title tune on Slow Drag, with it's "Yo Mama!" thing, just kills me!! And to think that this pre-dates the Snoop-D-O-double-Gizzle by almost thirty years!!

:bwallace:

AfricaBrass,

That happens to me alot. I pick up a disc which at first I don't really like, and 6-8 months later I give it another try and bam, I think it is great. In fact, I don't think I will give a cd that I really dislike, even though there may be several. May have to eat my words, sooner rather than later! :wacko::wacko:

I'm glad I'm not alone on this.

It's funny because I really HATED the Patton. I remember spouting off to a friend about how bad it was.

I have to admit, I try not to judge an album as quickly as I used to. It seems that some of the ones that are the hardest to get into, have the best payoff in the end.

It seems that some of the ones that are the hardest to get into, have the best payoff in the end.

Yes this is true. When it comes to genuine musical&emotional (as opposed to quick money) effort that is. I find it hard to get into Britney but very much doubt I will ever find her work the most rewarding.

It seems that some of the ones that are the hardest to get into, have the best payoff in the end.

Yes this is true. When it comes to genuine musical&emotional (as opposed to quick money) effort that is. I find it hard to get into Britney but very much doubt I will ever find her work the most rewarding.

Are you sure about that? :P

Are you sure about that? :P

hey, I was referring to her "work," not to her "works" :g