Budget Priced on Sony/Columbia

Big Wheel

...Homer, I don't have the Waller set but it looks as if it is exactly the same track listing as the recent three cd set "If You Got to Ask You Ain't Got it" which was also produced by Orrin Keepnews, and is in excellent excellent sound. My guess is they lifted the transfers from this set. . . .(Excellent booklet too, which you're not going to get with the budget set).

Not exactly. The cheaper version is missing one tune from "If you got to ask...". See here.

I agree re: booklet, but as a taster of the *music* in excellent sound, the cheaper version is surely unbeatable, IMHO.

F

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, one song missing.

I agree, for the price (9 bucks via amazon!) this is a great way to get the music, especially if it's the same mastering as the box set.

Though for an introduction to Fats, that box set's booklet is very impressive.

Okay, one song missing.

I agree, for the price (9 bucks via amazon!) this is a great way to get the music, especially if it's the same mastering as the box set.

Indeed. I've actually got it.

I guess the cheaper set can always be combined with the Fats Waller pages of the IJS site.

F

Okay, one song missing.

Indeed. I've actually got it.

I guess the cheaper set can always be combined with the Fats Waller pages of the IJS site.

F

Thanks for the link Fer. I've got the cheap version, it was only €5, can't go wrong really, can I?

Columbia/Sony has not released much of this material on cd. On first playing the sound is good. The tech credits read:

Reissue producer - Michael Brooks

78 rpm transfers - Matt Cavaluzzo, Harry Coster

Digital sound restoration - Harry Coster

Digital remastering - Maria Triana

I view this as a preview of the complete set promised by Mosaic. It will go in the car when the Mosaic shows up.

Funny, I've been playing this set in the car lately.

I can't speak for the origin of the transfers used for the Holiday and Ellington sets, however, the Fats Waller set is culled from the Orin Keepnews complete Waller RCA sets from the early 90's - note Keepews name as producer on the new Waller set.

They also just released 3-disc set titled "The Best of Glenn Miller," which is the same material used on the 3-disc set "Glenn Miller The Popular Recordings 1939-1942," which are 1989 transfers. The producer and remastering credits are the same on the 89 and 08 sets as are the transfers with almost no noise reduction and lots of crackle and pop.

Seems like SONY is releasing older transfers (at least on the two I've noted) for the European market, perhaps to compete with the Propers and JSPs boots.

Not bad - the Miller material sounds better without the heavy noise reduction - but not new transfers.

Homer, I don't have the Waller set but it looks as if it is exactly the same track listing as the recent three cd set "If You Got to Ask You Ain't Got it" which was also produced by Orrin Keepnews, and is in excellent excellent sound. My guess is they lifted the transfers from this set. . . .(Excellent booklet too, which you're not going to get with the budget set).

Jazzbo: I do believe you are correct and I am wrong - I completely forgot about the 3-disc Keepnews set from a couple of years back.

Well, looks like the original masters edition is going to go live in the office at work. Not the first time I ended up with the same CD twice.

I'm still curious where they culled the Ellington and Holiday transfers from?

I'm still curious where they culled the Ellington and Holiday transfers from?

The Holiday undoubtedly from the 2001 "complete" set - no real reason to do new transfers. I think the Ellingtons are new.

Similar to the Waller set, the Holiday set appears to be a streamlined version (i.e., no fancy booklet and packaging) of this set issued last year in the US:

http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Day-Master-Take...1283&sr=1-6

Edited by Ron S

• 5 months later...

I have had a chance to listen to the first disc and the sound is pretty much excellent, considering how old the recordings are. The notes are pretty basic, just an overview by Bruce Talbot, wish they had a listing of personnel. I'm sure the info. is on the web somewhere, maybe some enterprising board member will be able to post some details on who's actually in the band at this time.

Here is the info. from the notes on the re-mastering;

78 rpm Transfers:Matt Cavaluzzo, Harry Coster

Digital Sound Restoration: Harry Coster

Digital Remastering: Maria Triana

Also, Disc: 1 Track 6. Creole Love Call; Disc: 2 Track 1. Ebony Rhapsody (Rehearsal For "Murder At The Vanities") Track 2. Ebony Rhapsody - pt 2; Disc: 4 Track 21. Grievin'; are all previously unissued performances.

I was asked by SONY to write a short overview of the material, and I wrote assuming that they would be printing the personnel, as they had supplied me with all recording details including matrix and issue numbers in a neatly formatted state. Obviously the personnel details are readily available but it would have improved the listening experience if the details had been in the booklet.

Bruce

Recording dates would have been more useful than personnel since EKE often recorded the same tune for different labels. You're right that once you know which version we're hearing the personnel is fairly easy to find. BTW Your notes are a fine introduction to the '30s band.

Just curious if the recording dates/personnel info for this set was ever published anywhere?

I have had a chance to listen to the first disc and the sound is pretty much excellent, considering how old the recordings are. The notes are pretty basic, just an overview by Bruce Talbot, wish they had a listing of personnel. I'm sure the info. is on the web somewhere, maybe some enterprising board member will be able to post some details on who's actually in the band at this time.

Here is the info. from the notes on the re-mastering;

78 rpm Transfers:Matt Cavaluzzo, Harry Coster

Digital Sound Restoration: Harry Coster

Digital Remastering: Maria Triana

Also, Disc: 1 Track 6. Creole Love Call; Disc: 2 Track 1. Ebony Rhapsody (Rehearsal For "Murder At The Vanities") Track 2. Ebony Rhapsody - pt 2; Disc: 4 Track 21. Grievin'; are all previously unissued performances.

I was asked by SONY to write a short overview of the material, and I wrote assuming that they would be printing the personnel, as they had supplied me with all recording details including matrix and issue numbers in a neatly formatted state. Obviously the personnel details are readily available but it would have improved the listening experience if the details had been in the booklet.

Bruce

Recording dates would have been more useful than personnel since EKE often recorded the same tune for different labels. You're right that once you know which version we're hearing the personnel is fairly easy to find. BTW Your notes are a fine introduction to the '30s band.

Just curious if the recording dates/personnel info for this set was ever published anywhere?

I asked a similar question earlier on and was directed here, Ellington Sessions, it's a bit overwhelming though. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

• 3 months later...

Just ordered the Ellington - missed this thread before... I guess with a few previously unreleased RCA tunes, this might even stay in the collection once a big Mosaic will be around, too... I have the RCA box, but not yet the Small Group Mosaic... and quite a few Classics, too... most of those won't be needed any longer if Mosaic indeed releases a 30s Columbia big band box.

• 3 weeks later...

Be it noted that this Ellington set has now vanished - this happened in the last week or so and I am guessing it was to make room for the Mosaic. Who knows, maybe it will be back, but at this moment amazon sellers are listing it for over $100. Too good for the masses, it seems. :tdown

Edited by David Ayers

Be it noted that this Ellington set has now vanished - this happened in the last week or so and I am guessing it was to make room for the Mosaic. Who knows, maybe it will be back, but at this moment amazon sellers are listing it for over $100. Too good for the masses, it seems. :tdown

Yeah, I highly doubt that a small niche company like Mosaic has any influence on what Sony/BMG keeps in print and what not... I guess it's rather the influence of Org that has brought too many lurkers to snatch up the remaining Ellington sets around and now we missed it (me, too, but since the Mosaic is now definitely announced, I don't mind much).

Yeah, I highly doubt that a small niche company like Mosaic has any influence on what Sony/BMG keeps in print and what not... I guess it's rather the influence of Org that has brought too many lurkers to snatch up the remaining Ellington sets around and now we missed it (me, too, but since the Mosaic is now definitely announced, I don't mind much).

Well, it's not been announced definitely yet, that happens when it appears on their site, on the "upcoming sets" page. It's still not 100% certain the set will actually be released.

Edited by J.A.W.

• 2 weeks later...