Stan Getz: Vancouver Concert 1965

Cliff Englewood

This looks interesting, does anyone have this in any other form? tape, vinyl perhaps? There's some interesting looking extras on it as well. I know it's Gambit by the way so don't start.

Product Description

2008 release containing a rare 1964 Vancouver concert by the Stan Getz Quartet with Gary Burton for the first time ever on CD. As a bonus, we have added two more very rare performances, Getz’s quartet set at Newport ’61 (these are Scott LaFaro’s last recordings!) and two tracks taped at the Apollo Theatre with an orchestra led by Getz and featuring Zoot Sims and Gerry Mulligan. 12 tracks. Gambit.

516DTCF3aAL._SS500_.jpg

This looks interesting, does anyone have this in any other form? tape, vinyl perhaps? There's some interesting looking extras on it as well. I know it's Gambit by the way so don't start.

516DTCF3aAL._SS500_.jpg

The Vancouver concert (January 30, 1965 according to Astrup) was issued on vinyl - "The Canadian Concert of Stan Getz", Can-Am 1300. It sounds to have been dubbed from a somewhat noisy disk source, not a tape, although the sound quality is pretty good. I wonder if Gambit has been able to clean it up?

just found this: (apologies to 7/4): (from the NY Times):

Gene Cherico; Jazz Bassist,62

Published: August 17, 1994

Gene Cherico, a jazz bassist who played with Benny Goodman, George Shearing and Stan Getz and accompanied singers like Peggy Lee and Frank Sinatra, died on Friday at a Santa Monica convalescent home. He was 62.

The cause was non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, his former wife, Mary Lusk, told The Los Angeles Times.

Mr. Cherico began as a drummer and took up bass as therapy after an injury while he was in the Army in the early 1950's. He then studied at Berklee College of Music in Boston.

His first band was a trio that included Toshiko Akiyoshi on piano and Jake Hanna on drums. He retired 10 years ago after lymphoma was diagnosed, Ms. Lusk said.

He is survived by a daughter, Amy; a stepdaughter, Ann, and two brothers, Anthony and Gerald.

found some more informations on this release, including a full track list:

Stan Getz: Vancouver Concert 1965

i guess the music from the vancouver concert is very similar to the paris concert from 1966 ("jazz in paris: stan getz quartet in paris") ... or am i wrong? :unsure:

Thanks to user0815 and Tom Storer and Stereojack, no thanks to anyone else for trying to turn this into a Gene Cherico thread. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The track listing for this and the Paris concert look quite different, althought obviously a similar line up of instruments. I seem to remember the Vancouver gig being mentioned in the Getz biog. in glowing terms, a real highlight from this period. I don't own the book, only got it from the Library, so I can't check. I like the line up for the Newport gig, Haynes was perfect for Getz.

516DTCF3aAL._SS500_.jpg

The Vancouver concert (January 30, 1965 according to Astrup) was issued on vinyl - "The Canadian Concert of Stan Getz", Can-Am 1300. It sounds to have been dubbed from a somewhat noisy disk source, not a tape, although the sound quality is pretty good. I wonder if Gambit has been able to clean it up?

Well according to the link provided by user0815, there has been some "New & careful remastering.", whatever that means.

I guess I'll just have to buy the damn thing and find out.

Well I bought this on Sunday and gave it a spin. First impressions are that the Canadian stuff is actually the best sounding. It's actually a live radio broadcast, not a live concert in front of a audiance. Getz is very relaxed and in a good mood. He introduces each track and is quite funny a few times, especially after "Froggie Went A-Courtin'", where he kinda implies he's had some sort of relationship with Joe Hunt's Grandmother.

The Newport stuff is OK sound quality wise, you can only really hear Scott LaFaro when he solos, which is a pity considering he died within days of the gig. The other 2 tracks are poor, they kinda sound like you are listening to the radio from another room.

The Canadian Concert is definitely worth having though if you're a Getz nut, which I am fast becoming. I found a review of a previous release of it on AMG.

AMG Review.

Review by Dave Nathan

It was 1964 and Stan Getz was having a problem finding a pianist for his newly constituted quartet. Someone (reportedly Lou Levy) suggested that instead of a piano player, Getz hire young vibraphone player Gary Burton. It was a fortuitous choice as this pianoless quartet was one of Getz's more interesting and musically enterprising groups. The event this LP captures, the Brilliant Canadian Concert in Vancouver of 1965, was a prime example of Burton's work during his two-year sojourn with the quartet. His skill with the four mallet vibraphone technique reaches its zenith on "My Funny Valentine." Getz was at the peak of his form. He could make his saxophone sound tender and biting at the same time creating a sound that was instantly recognizable, which no sax player would ever duplicate. Also during this period, his tone was so light and airy that it often sounded as if he was on alto. One of the compelling features about this album is that Getz introduces each tune and on a couple of occasions showed his sardonic wit. In introducing Burton's "A Singing Song," Getz informs the audience that "instead of a 4/4 time signature, we will be using a 6/8 time signature, which means absolutely nothing." This must have driven jazz technocrats up the wall. Gene Cherico's bass and Joe Hunt's drums excel in rhythmic support with the bass player getting significant solo time on "Morning of the Carnival." The quartet's concert in Vancouver is in a series of five. The others featured Thelonious Monk, Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, and Dave Brubeck/Paul Desmond. And, like this event, all were of the highest caliber and were issued on LPs. What a magnificent boxed CD set this would make.