Gene Shaw's "Break Through" Reissued

garthsj

First let me confess that I have never been able to understand or master the search function on this list, so forgive me if this information has been provided recently.

The good news is that Dusty Groove (The Bastards!) have reissued this wonderful album on their own label (It was formerly on Argo LPS-707) ... It is a gem from a legendary musician who made far too few recordings ..

Garth.

I wonder how Dusty Groove goes about selecting (and then getting licensing rights to) certain recordings. The titles under their "label" are certainly diverse. (I wonder if they're open to suggestions?)

Good questions. They seem to be picking obscure recordings across all genres. So far 3 Brazilian (2 by Jorge Ben, who is the only repeated artist so far) and a number of soul recordings. Break Through may be the closest to straight-ahead jazz that they have done so far (Funky Skull and the Bill Cosby thing are basically fusion and the Dorothy Ashby is pretty trippy). They would probably be open to another Gene Shaw release if this one sells at all. I did pick up a copy but haven't listened to it yet.

Come to think of it, I wonder if anybody from the staff of DGA has ever posted here. It seems like they get a lot of business from this board.

Now if only they eliminated caffeine from their copywriter's diet — maybe we'd be spared some of the grueling superlatives and the they-probably-haven't-actually-listened-to-the-recording generalizations. Oh, who am I kidding ... most of the recordings offered there "have a wonderful off-kilter approach to rhythm that isn't present in their earlier recordings. They hit those angular notes that keep us digging through the crates to find undiscovered gems. With titles that include [list five to six titles at random]."

Now if only they eliminated caffeine from their copywriter's diet — maybe we'd be spared some of the grueling superlatives and the they-probably-haven't-actually-listened-to-the-recording generalizations. Oh, who am I kidding ... most of the recordings offered there "have a wonderful off-kilter approach to rhythm that isn't present in their earlier recordings. They hit those angular notes that keep us digging through the crates to find undiscovered gems. With titles that include [list five to six titles at random]."

Seems like the time to bring back the "Dustry Groove Madlibs" thread but this funky search engine won't let me find it. :excited:

• 4 weeks later...