Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper"

AfricaBrass

I know this is a really stupid question.

One of my favorite Saturday Night Live sketches is the one in which Christopher Walken is a record producer. He's producing the BOC song, Don't Fear the Reaper. His main contribution to the production is the addition of cowbell to it.

Well, whenever I hear that song on the radio, etc... I always hear the cowbell in my head. It just doesn't seem right without it. Has this happened to any of you, or is it just my own psychosis?

:P

Edited by AfricaBrass

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed that sketch, but sounds funny.

I always loved the Walken SNL character that was the "come up to my penthouse and look at my etchings" type, in the smoking jacket with the slimey moustache and affected pronounciation of the word "champagne." Damn funny stuff.

I always loved the Walken SNL character that was the "come up to my penthouse and look at my etchings" type, in the smoking jacket with the slimey moustache and affected pronounciation of the word "champagne." Damn funny stuff.

Ah.... you're talking about The Continental.

That's one of my favorite sketches too! Walken's my favorite SNL host.

:rsmile:

"I gotta have more cowbell, baby!"

The spoof was VH1's Behind the Music: Blue Oyster Cult.

Here we see Jimmy Fallon (on the drums), Chris Kattan, Will Ferrell, Chris Parnell, and Horatio Sanz portraying the band in a recording studio. Walken plays record producer Bruce Dickenson. This is how it began:

Announcer: After a series of staggering defeats, Blue Oyster Cult assembled in the recording studio in late 1976 for a session with famed producer Bruce Dickinson. And, luckily for us, the cameras were rolling.

Bruce Dickinson: Alright, guys, I think we're ready to lay this first track down. By the way, my name is Bruce Dickinson. Yes, the Bruce Dickinson. And I gotta tell you: fellas.. you have got what appears to be a dynamite sound!

Eric Bloom (Chris Parnell): Coming from you, Bruce, that means a lot.

Buck Dharma (Horatio Sanz): Yeah. I mean, you're Bruce Dickinson!

Alan (Chris Kattan): It's incredible!

Bobby (Jimmy Fallon): I can't believe Bruce Dickinson digs our sound!

Dickinson: Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records. [ the group laughs ] Alright, here we go. "Don't Fear the Reaper" - take one. [ exits into the control booth ]

[ the group begins the song. Bobby slaps the drums, Eric jams his guitar, and Gene bangs on a cowbell. ]

Eric: [ distracted by Gene banging the cowbell ] Okay! Wait! Wait! [ the group cuts off their instruments ] Bruce, could you come in here for a minute, please?

Dickinson: [ stepping out of the booth ] That was gonna be a great track. Guys, what's the deal?

Eric: Are you sure that was sounding okay?

Dickinson: I'll be honest.. fellas, it was sounding great. But.. I could've used a little more cowbell. So.. let's take it again.. and, Gene.

Gene Frenkle (Will Ferrell): Yeah?

Dickinson: Really explore the studio space this time. I mean, really.. explore the space. I like what I'm hearing.

-----------------------------

Ok, to make a long story short, Gene starts banging on the cowbell and dancing wildly about, even running into another bandmate. The music is stopped again and Eric comments that he finds Gene's cowbell playing distracting. So they try to cut another track and this time Eric and Gene start arguing over the cowbell. Gene defends himself by stating that if Bruce Dickenson wants more cowbell, he should get more cowbell. The funniest part of this speech is that Will Ferrell breaks character and starts laughing, wich in turn causes everyone else to do the same. Anyway, they cut another track and this time it works out beautifully.

The sketch was actually a clever allusion to the recording session for Bud Powell's 'Un Poco Loco'. Alfred Lion thought that Max Roach was using too much cowbell. That's why they did several takes of the tune. If you listen carefully, you'll notice that the cowbell on the Master take is a lot more muted.

Blue Note legend has it that Max and Alfred almost had a fistfight over this issue. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in Richard Cook's book.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

The sketch was actually a clever allusion to the recording session for Bud Powell's 'Un Poco Loco'. Alfred Lion thought that Max Roach was using too much cowbell. That's why they did several takes of the tune. If you listen carefully, you'll notice that the cowbell on the Master take is a lot more muted.

Blue Note legend has it that Max and Alfred almost had a fistfight over this issue. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in Richard Cook's book.

Bertrand.

I'd have to say, I don't think the sketch was a direct allusion to that particular incident. I think it is supposed to be lampooning the state of Hard Rock in the 70's and the whole Behind the Music phenomenon. If the Soft White Underbelly didn't epitomize Rock in the 70's I don't know who does! :)

The Mule Posted: Oct 20 2003, 07:34 PM   

Not sure which I like more, Chris Walken hosting SNL or Kevin Spacey on SNL doing an imitation of Chris Walken....

Spacey does a great Walken, but I'd give the "best imitation" nod to Jay Mohr for sure...un-freakin'-believable!

Edited by DrJ

The sketch was actually a clever allusion to the recording session for Bud Powell's 'Un Poco Loco'.  Alfred Lion thought that Max Roach was using too much cowbell.  That's why they did several takes of the tune.  If you listen carefully, you'll notice that the cowbell on the Master take is a lot more muted.

Blue Note legend has it that Max and Alfred almost had a fistfight over this issue.  I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in Richard Cook's book.

Bertrand.

laughing.gif

Bertrand.

Thanks Bertrand!

I've never heard that story. I'll have to listen to the various takes. Heck, I don't need any excuse to listen to Bud Powell.

:rsmile:

OOPS!

Revisiting this thread, I see that some people did not realize that I TOTALLY made up that story about the cowbell on 'Un Poco Loco'.

Sorry about the confusion!

Bertrand.

Oops on my part!

I feel like one of those old Bunny Bunny cartoons when a picture of a sucker appears over someone who's been gullible. :lol:

Heck, I always wanted to write an autobiography someday and call it "Gullible's Travels" :D

I can just see Buck Dharma chasing after James T. Cat, screaming "GET THAT FUCKING COWBELL OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!" :ph34r:

I want the video! :excited:

That would be a great video! :lol::lol::lol:

I bet those BOC guys really HATE this sketch. :P

I think we should organize a large group to go to a BOC concert and pull the cowbells out at the appropriate time. :P

Eric, I have a copy of the video in Windows Media Format at work. If you want a copy of it, I'll find a way to get it to you tomorrow.

yeah, does someone have a link the the video - the audio is a scream!

Eric

It's on the recently-released Best of Will Ferrell which should be at any self-respecting video store. I went ahead and bought it. First of all it's cheap. Secondly, it features his SNL tryout, a great blooper reel, and an unaired skit that's (now) another one of my faves. Funny stuff.....

Edited by Brandon Burke