Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper"

AfricaBrass

Truly a funny sketch.

Another favorite of mine is not from SNL but from Conan O'Brien's show. He was talking about reality shows and had a fake show called something like "Ultimate Survivor". The premise was simple: put the members of 80s super group Survivor in a house together and watch what happens.

It was hilarious. The first scene is some dude in a leather jacket cooking on the stove and his bandmate behind him drinking a beer. The guy drinking says:

"Hey man, remember 'Eye of the Tiger?'"

"Yeah man. That was awesome."

"Yeah. That was sweet."

In the next scene two guys are in a bedroom and one of them is looking in a mirror. The guy looking in the mirror says:

"Hey man, you know what shirt this is?"

"Yeah! Isn't that the one you wore for the video to "Eye of the Tiger"?"

"Yeah man! That was sweet."

"Yeah. That was awesome."

End of skit.

So stupid it's funny.

:g

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Boy does that picture of Will Farrell ring a bell. That SNL skit is one of my all-time favorites too. After I saw it the last time I went out in the garage and dug out my LP copy of Agents of Destruction so I could listen to the song again. Boy was I disappointed when I realized the cow bell was barely audible. Put me squarely down in the MORE COW BELL camp on this one.

Up over and out.

Boy does that picture of Will Farrell ring a bell. That SNL skit is one of my all-time favorites too. After I saw it the last time I went out in the garage and dug out my LP copy of Agents of Destruction so I could listen to the song again. Boy was I disappointed when I realized the cow bell was barely audible. Put me squarely down in the MORE COW BELL camp on this one.

Up over and out.

:lol:

I hear the cowbell (in my head) everytime I hear that song. :P

After this discussion last fall, I went out and bought the Will Ferrell SNL best-of. The whole thing is a scream, particularly the spoof on Jeopardy with Sean Connery and Burt Reynolds (played by Norm McDonald). The extras are pretty damn good too, esp a clip from Conan where Ferrell goes on as Robert Goulet and never breaks character.

Speaking of SNL, for some reason I had a vision this am of the "commercial" for Steve Martin Penis Cream. "It's the only penis cream that features a picture of MY penis on it." The close-up of the jar contains a warning that says "Not penis cream". What a hoot!!!

Eric

• 2 months later...
Guest Chaney

Just saw some pictures of the members of BOC as they appear now and, suddenly feeling VERY old, I thought I'd share the love...

Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser

N1.jpg

cultsign4.gif

DRchair.jpg

Eric Bloom

boc008.jpg

cultsign4.gif

EBboard.jpg

Allen Lanier

boc010.jpg

cultsign4.gif

lanier.jpg

• 4 months later...

I know this is a really stupid question.

One of my favorite Saturday Night Live sketches is the one in which Christopher Walken is a record producer. He's producing the BOC song, Don't Fear the Reaper. His main contribution to the production is the addition of cowbell to it.

Well, whenever I hear that song on the radio, etc... I always hear the cowbell in my head. It just doesn't seem right without it. Has this happened to any of you, or is it just my own psychosis?

:P

To get back to the original post in this thread, adding cowbell was a common trick back in the 70s to add "groove" to a tune. The idea is that you have the cowbell playing quarter notes and then mix it underneath everything, so it's barely audible. It's almost subconscious, but it makes everything gel together better.

In other words, listen for some serious cowbell on the next Organissimo record!

I know this is a really stupid question.

One of my favorite Saturday Night Live sketches is the one in which Christopher Walken is a record producer. He's producing the BOC song, Don't Fear the Reaper. His main contribution to the production is the addition of cowbell to it.

Well, whenever I hear that song on the radio, etc... I always hear the cowbell in my head. It just doesn't seem right without it. Has this happened to any of you, or is it just my own psychosis?

:P

To get back to the original post in this thread, adding cowbell was a common trick back in the 70s to add "groove" to a tune. The idea is that you have the cowbell playing quarter notes and then mix it underneath everything, so it's barely audible. It's almost subconscious, but it makes everything gel together better.

In other words, listen for some serious cowbell on the next Organissimo record!

NICE!!!

I hope to see some VibraSlap also. That's another great 70's effect. :P:lol: