Kind of Blue reissue

Aggie87

Can someone who bought this set comment on its sound quality, and the extras they throw in-poster, book, etc.?

I'm curious as what people think of the price vs value?

Are the "extras" that special to justify purchasing the box set for those of us who already have the CD/SACD? :rolleyes:

THANKS!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

they do include the "missing" session with Billie Holiday, but she's not in very good voice - the only interesting thing is the appearance of Jo Jones on an out-take of Freddie the Freeloader -

the book is ok but naked pics of Miles are just not my thing - also could have done without the copy of his 1957 tax return -

they do include the "missing" session with Billie Holiday, but she's not in very good voice - the only interesting thing is the appearance of Jo Jones on an out-take of Freddie the Freeloader -

the book is ok but naked pics of Miles are just not my thing - also could have done without the copy of his 1957 tax return -

Would you mind posting a copy of the tax return? I'd love to see it but the cost of the box set just might be the the straw the breaks the back of my marriage. Please exclude the pics of Miles, unless he's in the act with Cecilie Tyson. On 2nd thought the wife probably wouldn't approve of the pics either. Ah well.

Can someone who bought this set comment on its sound quality, and the extras they throw in-poster, book, etc.?

I'm curious as what people think of the price vs value?

Are the "extras" that special to justify purchasing the box set for those of us who already have the CD/SACD? :rolleyes:

THANKS!

This set is, of course, a blatant exploitation of music obsessives like us (me). It is also a test of our mental health. DO NOT BUY THIS SET!!!!! Resist that little voice in your head.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, you knew it was coming...

From Musictap:

"The expected prize comes on January 13 from Legacy and Columbia. It is then that they will release a 2CD Legacy Edition of Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. Kind of Blue is perhaps one of the greatest Blues/Jazz album ever released. It has certainly received a lot of attention in 2008 (Sept) with the release of the Super Deluxe Collector’s Box setup (LP,CD,etc). In celebration of the album’s 50th Anniversary, and for the sake of those folks who did not pick up the higher-priced release in 2008, this reissue may do just the trick. This package contains the same two CDs found in the Collector’s Box as well as a booklet that contains all of the photos found in that set and the Francis Davis essay.

Kind of Blue was originally released in 1959 (Aug) not knowing it would become the revered classic it became. Disc One will contain the original album in its re-mastered form and will add an alternate take of “Flamenco Sketches,” the false start rarity from “Freddie the Freeloader,” and in-studio dialogue pieces from the original sessions. Disc Two contains various tunes that were released around the time of the Sessions including a selection from the first session of The Miles Davis Sextet (Coltrane, Adderley, Evans, Chambers, Cobb, and of course, Miles Davis himself), all in all, more than a half hour’s worth of material. There is also a Live track, “So What,” from 1960."

Well, you knew it was coming...

From Musictap:

"The expected prize comes on January 13 from Legacy and Columbia. It is then that they will release a 2CD Legacy Edition of Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. Kind of Blue is perhaps one of the greatest Blues/Jazz album ever released. It has certainly received a lot of attention in 2008 (Sept) with the release of the Super Deluxe Collector’s Box setup (LP,CD,etc). In celebration of the album’s 50th Anniversary, and for the sake of those folks who did not pick up the higher-priced release in 2008, this reissue may do just the trick. This package contains the same two CDs found in the Collector’s Box as well as a booklet that contains all of the photos found in that set and the Francis Davis essay.

Kind of Blue was originally released in 1959 (Aug) not knowing it would become the revered classic it became. Disc One will contain the original album in its re-mastered form and will add an alternate take of “Flamenco Sketches,” the false start rarity from “Freddie the Freeloader,” and in-studio dialogue pieces from the original sessions. Disc Two contains various tunes that were released around the time of the Sessions including a selection from the first session of The Miles Davis Sextet (Coltrane, Adderley, Evans, Chambers, Cobb, and of course, Miles Davis himself), all in all, more than a half hour’s worth of material. There is also a Live track, “So What,” from 1960."

This is all so lame... why don't they just put out the great Scheveningen 1960 concert as a bonus, instead of studio farts and the well-known (and much-loved in this house!) 1958 studio session? That was a big letdown about the Deluxe Edition of "Round About Midnight" already - why just the one tune and not incude the whole 1955 Newport session?

Probably has something to do with "cost."

I'm glad to see them doing this two cd version though. . . I continue to think the 100 dollar set is silly.

Yes, but I'm still not sure I won't pick it up on impulse some day... first I'd still be interested in hearing something about the... uhm extra-musical extras, mainly the book - anyone got this box by now, or is there indeed not one single board member who owns it?

I picked it up at FYE (normally horribly overpriced) for $62.00. I feel like I got a bargain considering that even True Blue is offering it for $99. On the other hand, I already own KOB on vinyl, CD, and Gold CD. So now I have a second vinyl copy and a third CD copy. Of course, my vinyl copy was a store demonstration copy in a former life, so this new version is nice to have being that it is brand new (and speed corrected). I don't know. I'm probably the king of all suckers, but I felt like I couldn't let it pass at that price...

• 2 months later...

Still can't get any comments about the sound quality and extra goodies in this set?

The sound (both on CD and on the vinyl) is not quite up to par with the 1997 remaster (CK 64935). Additional noise reduction to get rid of the somewhat annoying tape hiss has lead to an overall decrease of the higher frequencies, which is especially noticeable in the sound of Tony Williams' Jimmy Cobb's cymbals, which don't sound quite as crystal clear, in the sound of Bill Evans' piano, which now sounds less brilliant and slightly more muffled, and in Paul Chambers' bass, where you can no longer visualize his fingers plucking the strings; instead the bass now tends to boom somewhat indistinctly. Overall, the stereo spectrum seems to be slightly narrower and less clearly defined. This may not be as pronounced on speakers that are strong on treble, but it shows very clearly on mine, which have an extremely linear frequency response.

The book is beautiful, but the sound is a major disappointment.

Edited by hprill0

Sound is very good to my ears, I have a UK late 80s KOB, the late 90s reissue and now this set. The vinyl sounds wonderful, big sound stage lovely and clear. No Tony Williams here, to be sure. The Jazz Track session is much better than the 80s copy I have and adds extra takes.

Tony must have been 11 or 12 when the session was recorded. IIRC, the hardcover book mentions they used a safety master of KoB as the original is fragile. I noticed what you are saying about this mastering too hprill0, I enjoy having the official release of all the extra stuff tho. This is my 2nd copy of KoB

Edited by CJ Shearn