Some good news - getting married

Ed S

Thanks so much to all of you for the good wishes, thoughts and congratulations. The wedding celebration was really nice and I've had a very busy week. I'm in the process of moving my new wife into my house. Mid-week, I got my two boys for a few days. Everyone getting used to everyone else should prove interesting. :cool:

Ed, I've avoided this thread up till now because of my own personal experiences of late (recently left "depressed" for a good long stay at "angry" in my own breakup experience...), but I sure wish you good luck. I'm happy for you, and you certainly deserve the happiness this will bring. Maybe some day...

Ed, I've avoided this thread up till now because of my own personal experiences of late (recently left "depressed" for a good long stay at "angry" in my own breakup experience...), but I sure wish you good luck. I'm happy for you, and you certainly deserve the happiness this will bring. Maybe some day...

Been through both, Mark. If you ever want to exchange PMs or talk live, let me know.

I don't like being widowed/not being married.

Damn...did I miss something Lon?

Yes, I haven't trumpeted it here and I really don't want to type a lot about this but I lost Helen October 8 last year due to host vs graft disease complications (decimated lungs) from her unmatched donor bone marrow transplant.

It was really really dark for a while but has gotten much better since May.

That's great news Ed!

Hope to follow in your footsteps one day! I don't like being widowed/not being married.

Having been through it, Lon, I know it's a process - and a very unpredictable and often convoluted one at that. The human mind and emotions are a wonderful thing - and just as often a confusing and befuddling thing. You'll know when you're ready and who the right person is.

I went out with a bunch of women after my break-up. Probably around 20. I'm not ashamed to admit I was a match.com participant. Sometimes it was one date, sometimes several - but in retrospect - and thankfully - none that were more than a night out for dinner or entertainment. At first, it was just to prove to myself that I could do it - that is meet another woman and have a good time with her, open my emotions and let down my guard to some degree. Eventually it got more serious as I felt I was ready but at the same time I was meeting women who seemed to be in the "shopping around" phase. The problem was/is, there's a whole bunch of people who were/are in the same boat I was and nothing seemed to be clicking - maybe because they were just testing the water as well or more likely because the chemistry wasn't there. I got frustrated and decided to take some time off and just be with myself and my boys (when I have them) and just chill and do some crap around the house.

It was on Halloween in 2005 and I was out in some bar in one of the Buffalo area's "hot spots", trying to meet someone and at the same time feeling depressed and wondering what the fuck I was doing with my life when I decided to take that aforementioned break. I had gone out that night to meet someone from match.com who had totally misrepresented herself and after that disaster was over -ended up going to another bar with the hope of meeting someone - and left feeling like it was time to relax and re-strategize. It was literally the same night that I had decided to go into hibernation when I got home to a voicemail from the guy who cuts my hair who told me about a woman who he thought would be great for me - and vice versa. Turns out that the woman was his sister. So I felt like - hey, what's one more??? And besides - he cuts my hair and hey..... and we've talked a lot about women..... and I know him.... and it's his sister.....

I met her about a week later and it was instant chemistry. Our 2nd date was a Robert Cray concert and coincidentally, we went to see Robert Cray the night before we married. I guess the moral of the story is - you never know how or why or when. It is so cliche - but the right person will come along and when that happens, you will know.

That's great news Ed!

Hope to follow in your footsteps one day! I don't like being widowed/not being married.

Having been through it, Lon, I know it's a process - and a very unpredictable and often convoluted one at that. The human mind and emotions are a wonderful thing - and just as often a confusing and befuddling thing. You'll know when you're ready and who the right person is.

I went out with a bunch of women after my break-up. Probably around 20. I'm not ashamed to admit I was a match.com participant. Sometimes it was one date, sometimes several - but in retrospect - and thankfully - none that were more than a night out for dinner or entertainment. At first, it was just to prove to myself that I could do it - that is meet another woman and have a good time with her, open my emotions and let down my guard to some degree. Eventually it got more serious as I felt I was ready but at the same time I was meeting women who seemed to be in the "shopping around" phase. The problem was/is, there's a whole bunch of people who were/are in the same boat I was and nothing seemed to be clicking - maybe because they were just testing the water as well or more likely because the chemistry wasn't there. I got frustrated and decided to take some time off and just be with myself and my boys (when I have them) and just chill and do some crap around the house.

It was on Halloween in 2005 and I was out in some bar in one of the Buffalo area's "hot spots", trying to meet someone and at the same time feeling depressed and wondering what the fuck I was doing with my life when I decided to take that aforementioned break. I had gone out that night to meet someone from match.com who had totally misrepresented herself and after that disaster was over -ended up going to another bar with the hope of meeting someone - and left feeling like it was time to relax and re-strategize. It was literally the same night that I had decided to go into hibernation when I got home to a voicemail from the guy who cuts my hair who told me about a woman who he thought would be great for me - and vice versa. Turns out that the woman was his sister. So I felt like - hey, what's one more??? And besides - he cuts my hair and hey..... and we've talked a lot about women..... and I know him.... and it's his sister.....

I met her about a week later and it was instant chemistry. Our 2nd date was a Robert Cray concert and coincidentally, we went to see Robert Cray the night before we married. I guess the moral of the story is - you never know how or why or when. It is so cliche - but the right person will come along and when that happens, you will know.

Your story inspires me, Ed. I too have been doing the online thing to no avail. Most women on there seem to be just shopping around for the perfect, flawless guy. I'm 32 and my time is running out, but I always try to be eternally optimistic.

Edited by trane_fanatic

Your story inspires me, Ed. I too have been doing the online thing to no avail. Most women on there seem to be just shopping around for the perfect, flawless guy. I'm 32 and my time is running out, but I always try to be eternally optimistic.

That cracks me up! "My time is running out." I got married at 35, that was absolutely the RIGHT time for me, and I had eighteen years of growth and comfort. And now. . . I'm looking at getting married again in the future, because I loved being married, and I am certain that it's just as "RIGHT" in this near future as it was then.

You have plenty of time my friend!

I had one "internet" (match.com) date in May. It was VERY interesting. And when I told one of my friends for the longest time about it it upset her. . . she said basically "Why aren't you going out with ME?" And as a result I'm terribly happy at the moment!

Edited by jazzbo