Louis Armstrong - Fleischmann's Yeast Show & Louis' Home-R

captainwrong

Just saw this come across eMusic (sans booklet) and iTunes (with booklet, but more expensive.) I guess this is a Jazz Heritage Society exclusive? Looks interesting though. I really dug the home tapes I heard at the Armstrong home in Queens. Anyone have this one? The samples sound pretty hot on the Fleischmann's side.

eMusic link with samples.

Edited by Captain Wrong

I wrote a small dissertation about the Fleischmann's set on my Armstrong blog:

http://dippermouth.blogspot.com/2008/07/hi...broadcasts.html

Don't pay attention to the end, where I lament the fact that the set was so difficult to find. It took some time, but Michael Cogswell finally convinced the Jazz Heritage Society to let it out of their tight grips and actually offer it to members of the general public. I believe the Jazz Store website is the only non-JHS website offering the package, which is worth the price for Dan Morgenstern's typically authoritative notes (though he makes two small errors I correct in my blog). This is historic stuff, my friends, going a long way towards removing the Luis Russell band from the critical purgatory they've been stuck in regarding their work with Armstrong for over 70 years. Buy it!

Ricky Riccardi

dippermouth.blogspot.com

Don't pay attention to the end, where I lament the fact that the set was so difficult to find. It took some time, but Michael Cogswell finally convinced the Jazz Heritage Society to let it out of their tight grips and actually offer it to members of the general public. I believe the Jazz Store website is the only non-JHS website offering the package, which is worth the price for Dan Morgenstern's typically authoritative notes (though he makes two small errors I correct in my blog). This is historic stuff, my friends, going a long way towards removing the Luis Russell band from the critical purgatory they've been stuck in regarding their work with Armstrong for over 70 years. Buy it!

Ricky Riccardi

dippermouth.blogspot.com

Heh, I actually found this entry and it was what convinced me to snag it from eMusic. (I'm Rob G.)

Listened to the first disc of this last night. Really enjoyable music. I wish there was a way to get the liner notes from eMusic, but what it cost me there vs. ordering the physical CDs softened that blow a lot.

Edited by Captain Wrong

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a chance to hear this recording. Pretty astonishing! It certainly raises serious questions about the commonly held view that Armstrong dumbed down his sound in the latter 30s. He and the band perform here with a loose abandon and level of energy that matches, and maybe even exceeds, Pops' recordings with larger bands from the late 20s and early 30s.

Although Armstrong made some fine recordings for Decca during this time, these broadcasts can't help but make you think of lost opportunities.

I downloaded it from emusic, and wonder if there is a precise discographical reference for who is playing in this particular Luis Russell orchestra. I assume that it is similar to the personnel that recorded for Decca at this time, but would like to know for sure.

Edited by John L

Thanks for the link Jazzbo..I was able to order a copy through them.

I also found a source for Vol 10 of the Armstrong Cotton Club CD..The Cotton Club 1939-43.

You can order a copy through the whole saler Ricko mentioned in his informative post on the Armstrong Ambassador CDs.

The only issue is that they accept cash or a bank transfer only.

Eh, why not?

The remainder of the Ambassador sets are easily found on Amazon.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Finally found a popularly priced copy of this on Amazon over the weekend. Never understood why it was so expensive or difficult to get when originally issued.

I was totally unaware of this release until a few hours ago, when I found it in a used CD store. This is major! I'm really excited by this one - it's nice to come across some new Satchmo material that's not just another All-Stars show with the usual playlist.

Ricky Riccardi

dippermouth.blogspot.com

Thanks for the blog post, Ricky. I quite agree with you about Louis w/Luis' band. Those broadcasts are a joy. And the album has an absolutely priceless track of latter-day Armstrong playing trumpet along with his 1923 recording of "Tears" w/Oliver.