Holy Shit! The largest record collection in the world for sale

Pretty steep price, but there is a lot of stuff there!

http://www.thegreatestmusiccollection.com/index.html

http://www.jazzhouston.com/forum/messages....6&key=17541

Update: While googling, I learned that the collection has indeed been purchased (for just over 3 million dollars).

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

From the second writeup:

Paul has decided to put the collection on sale for a mere $3 million when it was appraised at a whooping $50 million, yet no one has given a solid offer.

OK. What are the chances we can scrape together $3 mil? There are 2302 registered members. That breaks out to around $1,300 each. Not an unrealistic sum. Say only half the members wanted in. That's $2,600 each. High, but ... still chump change compared to the possible return on investment here.

We'd have to rent a warehouse and pay for shipping, etc., but the sale of non-jazz music alone would fund organissimo for a while and give every member who chipped in a very nice return on investment. Plus, we could arm wrestle for the jazz titles.

... I'm just sayin' ...

:excited: (rubbing hands with glee).

Edited by papsrus

Pretty steep price, but there is a lot of stuff there!

http://www.thegreatestmusiccollection.com/index.html

http://www.jazzhouston.com/forum/messages....6&key=17541

Update: While googling, I learned that the collection has indeed been purchased (for just over 3 million dollars).

When I Googled the owner's name today, the entries which popped up all stated that the ebay buyer turned out to be a fraud. Did you find different information?

Before the latest stock exchanges crisis, I was flirting with the idea of buying one of the largest jazz collection in Italy (vinyl) as an opportunity of changing job, I am pretty bored of my actual job, and as investment. I really thought hard about it. Fortunately the heirs of the previous owner decided otherwise. I guess I'd be pretty sick of moving and cataloging and packing and selling thousands of records.

Before the latest stock exchanges crisis, I was flirting with the idea of buying one of the largest jazz collection in Italy (vinyl) as an opportunity of changing job, I am pretty bored of my actual job, and as investment. I really thought hard about it. Fortunately the heirs of the previous owner decided otherwise. I guess I'd be pretty sick of moving and cataloging and packing and selling thousands of records.

Who was it that said: "Find something you enjoy doing and you'll never work a day in your life."

A bit of an overstatement, but ... the right idea.

Who was it that said: "Find something you enjoy doing and you'll never work a day in your life."

A bit of an overstatement, but ... the right idea.

I might blame fate: heirs' decision and stock exchanges crisis. Anyway so it goes :)

This kind of brings into perspective the ongoing thread about having to sell your collection. I'm seriously tempted to go through the registration process just so I can get some idea what's there. Unfortunately, it would probably take months to do justice to even a cursory "tour".

Up over and out.

Isn't this like the second or third time this collection has been up for sale and the buyer was a fraud?

He's been trying to sell this collection since 1993, originally at $50 million. It was almost sold twice, once to CD Now, who folded, and once to the Library of Congress, who couldn't meet his price (but were offering more than the $3 million he wants now) and he told to take a hike.

Long story short (and this story has been a weird obsession to me): this guy was a long time record dealer who did a lot of business in cutouts and remainders. By this point, every collector or institution that would have the means and desire to own this collection, which he insists on selling as a whole, has seen it. The price has dropped from $50 million to $3 million and it's still on the market.

Might mean nothing. But I'm really tempted to believe it means this is a lot closer to those 3 million crappy records clifford_thorton is talking about up there than some goldmine of treasures at a fire sale price.