RVGs of Beatles Albums

JSngry

I was talking to my good friend Dr. Harold J. Numbers last night, and he suggested this. It's an intiguing notion.

Hey, it's all EMI, right? And we've seen numerous examples of hip-hoppers redoing Rudy's work (to say nothing of Rudy redoing his and Lion's OWN work), so why not?

If the Beatles idea is too radical for you, how about some other items from the EMI pop catalog - The Beach Boys, The Band, Matt Munro, Gene Vincent, The Hollywood Strings, Helen Reddy, etc.

Post your wish lists here.

Interesting idea. Not too radical to consider at all, however, I'm not sure the RVG sound is well-suited to the Beatles...a more expansive sound (at least on the later stuff) would fit the bill better IMHO. Maybe Rudy could do some of the earlier titles. Their catalog is certainly WAY overdue for a state of the art remastering, preferrably hybrid SACDs.

RVG MIGHT just fit the bill with the Beach Boys though, particularly some mono mixes.

A Hard Day's Night, Rubber Soul, and Revolver, if a lot of time and care were put into it. One thing an acquaintance of mine said that stuck with me, apropos Beatle imports, the Japanese know how to press them but not how to master them. (He was talking about LPs of course.)

I'd also be curious as to what Rudy (or someone like him) would do with The Beatles (the "White Album") and an early one, like With the Beatles. Then there's the whole issue of singles....

I don't know if I'd want RVG to do the Beatles' remastering since he didn't gain his fame from recording rock bands.

But speaking of the Beatles catalog, I would love to see the whole catalog reissued, maybe with bonus tracks like Sony Legacy did with the Byrds. Nice booklets with pictues, notes. They could take some bonus tracks from the Anthology series, or even have some versions sans-vocals, etc... They really deserve a top-notch reissue program. I'd even love 2cd Deluxe Editions containing stereo and mono mixes. :wub:

One thing I'd love to see would be two-fer reissues of the Beatles early albums in their US Capital versions. I still prefer the playlist of the US Rubber Soul to the original British version. It just doesn't seem the same whan the album doesn't start with "I've Just Seen a Face".

I curious about that new Let It Be.....Naked cd that's coming out in a few months. I'm not thrilled by the Let It Be....Naked title, it seems kind of goofy. I've got a bootleg of the original Get Back album. It would have been cool if they'd have released a album as they had originally intended in 1969.

Wow; that's weird. At least to me! I'm so used to the British versions (got them in '75) by now that hearing the U.S. versions again would annoy me as much as the British ones annoy you. ;) But what the heck, surely with the Beatles, there's room for both versions, right?

I grew up collecting Beatles records. I guess I'd love to have copies of the US versions because I listened to those records so often that I got used to the track order. Heck, there's a little part of me that misses the reverb that Capital added.

But, I would never say the American versions are better than the British versions. The British versions were what the Beatles intended in the first place. I grew up listening to American and British versions side by side. My wish would be that the deluxe reissues I wrote about would be the British versions plus a series of twofer editions of the American versions (like Capital's Beach Boy twofers).

I do have to admit that the American version of Rubber Soul, with the tracks taken from the British Help album, is the only US version that I like better. It gives the album a more folkie feel.

I'm sorry guys, but this thread is really really geeky.

B)

You're right, Jim.

GEEK ALERT! GEEK ALERT!

:lol:

Back to the geekiness,

Jazzmoose, I'm in 100% agreement about Revolver. The US version is terrible. I felt the same way when I first got the British version. "I'm Only Sleeping" and "Doctor Robert" are two of my favorite tracks.

Rudy remastering The Beatles. Ya gotta be kidding. What a waste of his valuable time.

Lon, there is a nice remaster of "Tide" already. It has U.S. and Japanese versions, which are sonically the same. (There is just the one problem: this latest reissue left out a bass flute overdub by Joe Farrell on "Takatanga".)

New reissues of the Beatles are really not necessary.

I know the albums have already been done for Mosaic but I would love to hear a RVG remaster of the Jimmy Giuffre's two Capitol albums (Jimmy Giuffre/Tangents in Jazz) and hope he does as well with these as his Miles Davis Birth of the Cool job. THAT one was justification for the whole RVG series.

I still prefer the playlist of the US Rubber Soul to the original British version. It just doesn't seem the same whan the album doesn't start with "I've Just Seen a Face".

You hit the nail on the head----Rubber Soul is the only American Capitol re-working of a Beatles album that works aeshtheticly. I used to have a tape I made of the British version with "I've Just Seen A Face" and "It's Only Love" added to sides one and two, sort of a mondo-Rubber Soul. (How's that for geekiness?)

Taking those three Lennon songs off Revolver was just WRONG! Like lopping off a hand and a foot. "And Your Bird Can Sing" has one of my favorite Harrison guitar solos, and a killer bass-line to boot. Now, imagine if the Beatles had thrown the "Paperback Writer/Rain" single on there, done at the Revolver sessions after all, to make for a 16-song album? Youw! Without a doubt, certain singles should be listened to in tandem with certain albums. A thoughtful reissue program would put these singles at the end of the appropriate albums (there's certainly enough room on a CD).

I totally agree, Bruce! :tup

What I've done in recent years with the advent of CD-Rs has been to create Beatles' compilations of certain years (I know - ultimate geekiness). I've got a combo cd of Rubber Soul, Revolver, and the various singles of that vintage. It's great to hear songs like Rain along with songs from Revolver. Sometimes, I've thrown cool bootleg tracks in.

Now, imagine if the Beatles had thrown the "Paperback Writer/Rain" single on there, done at the Revolver sessions after all, to make for a 16-song album?

I didn't realize this, although now that I think about it, it's pretty obvious from the sound. Wow. If they had included those two on Revolver, I might not have even bothered with any other Beatles albums. That would have, without a doubt, clinched my vote for best Pop/Rock album of all time. And I don't normally make statements like that, believe me.