Julian Priester - In Deep End Dance

relyles

This is one for all you trombone fans. This is a 2002 recording featuring Priester in a quartet with local Seattle musicians, Dawn Clement (p), Byron Vannoy (d) and Geoff Harper (bass). Priester's brief liner notes state that the music on the CD is designed to demonstrate the concept of oneness, that it is his "prayer that the music be perceived as a continuous suite for reflection" and it is his "desire for it to be listened to from beginning to end without interuption."

On my first listen today I was unable to listen to it uninterrupted, but my inital reaction to this disc is very positive. Priester has an appealing tone on the bone throughout and I took particular notice of the quality and variety of the compositions - five of which are by Priester. Nothing overly complex, or unapproachable about any of the music. Instead the compositions are somewhat thoughtful and developed sufficiently to hold the listener's interest throughout. Clement makes some notable contributions on piano.

Can't give a detailed review based on my one listen thus far, but I wanted to at least get the word out about this sleeper just in case you have not heard about. It is on the small Conduit Records label www.conduitrecords.com.

I am looking forward to the opportunity to sit down in the living room when the family is not home and giving this disc my undivided attention during an uninterrupted listen.

Edited by relyles

Thanks for this recommendation! Love Priester! Hell, 25 years since he made an album as a leader...

This will surely not turn up on this side of the water. That's the sort of record you just don't hear anything about were it not for places as this!

ubu

relyles, thanks for that recommendation! Priester was my favourite trombonist from the first note I heard him play!

His first record as a leader in 25 years? Not quite:

Julian Priester & Sam Rivers: Hints On Light and Shadow - Postcards 1017, 1997

Quartett: Julian Priester/Jay Clayton/Jerry Granelli/Gary Peacock: No Secrets New Albion 017, 1988

He was a co-leader on these. Both are recommended.

Thanks for this recommendation! Love Priester! Hell, 25 years since he made an album as a leader...

Love Priester too. Thanks for the recommendation Ronald, I've read about this one and thought it looked tasty. I guess I'll be taking the plunge now.

Didn't I read on the "old" board that some of these early ECM tapes had deteriorated?

Edited by JohnS

If Free For All (or any other trombonist) reads this, I like to know what he thinks about what I view as Prieter's seemingly remarkable technical advances when he started playing "freer" music, from his time in Herbie's sextet onward.

Seems to me that as a "hardbop" type player that he has some issues with the music, not always navigating the changes real fluently, but that when he started playing less "confining" music that he really blossomed into a really virtuoso player. It's almost like his "problems", technically speaking, were not so much a matter of his not having the greatest chops, but instead were a matter of not feely fully comfortable in that context, consciously or not. But I don't know.

My buddy Greg Waits played that duet thing w/Sam Rivers for me this past weekend, and I gotta tell you - that's some SERIOUS playing by all concerned!

• 5 years later...