Just arrived: Tatum Art

Ken Dryden

Storyville just sent me a 10 CD box of live Art Tatum: Tatum Art. It evidently consists of the series of nine individual CDs issued earlier, plus 21 previously unavailable tracks and a bonus DVD with the stuff from The Fabulous Dorseys, the film clip of "Tiny's Exercise" and his solo of "Yesterdays" from the Spike Jones Show, minus Spike and the City Slickers, of course.

same as with the Ellington and Webster boxes?

No, I think that all of the material issued in the 9 CD series is present in the 10 CD box. But it does have those pain-in-the-ass carboard sleeves

instead of jewel boxes to hold the CDs. One other oddity, the DVD only plays on my computer, not in my DVD players. I guess this was to avoid having

to format it to work in both Europe and the U.S.

I am checking my 9 Tatum CDs before selling them, just to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any Tatum... so I think I'm going to snag this one... great price over at CDU... $72 for 11CD's!!!!

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7766619

I have the Webster... it was pretty good except the last 2 discs...(incomplete takes and big band)...

How's the sound on this set????

Hey, this sounds interesting... I don't know about those previous 9 Tatum CDs, but as I haven't caught up with any of Storyville's Tatum releases yet, except for the Transcriptions 2CD set, this sounds good! I'm lagging behind though, having only just gotten their Ben Webster set...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Had a 50€ coupon from amazon.de and finally ordered it (though amazon.fr has it almost 10€ cheaper... but it will cost me less than 10€ plus some taxes, so it's quite a deal! :excited:

I might have asked this before, but are the Standards Transcriptions (from the 2CD release) included in this box or not?

Had a 50€ coupon from amazon.de and finally ordered it (though amazon.fr has it almost 10€ cheaper... but it will cost me less than 10€ plus some taxes, so it's quite a deal! :excited:

I might have asked this before, but are the Standards Transcriptions (from the 2CD release) included in this box or not?

They aren't, just the 9 individual volumes of airchecks, many of which have appeared elsewhere, though there are a few rarities mixed in. I am surprised they omitted one of the few Tatum television appearances which is available on YouTube, which I think is "Humoresque."