Burn speeds for writing CD-Rs

A Lark Ascending

When you burn a CD-R you are offered a wide range of burn speeds. I've never really got my head round this.

In my mind the lower the speed, the more accurate the burn. But, audio technicalities are rarely that logical.

At present I use 1 x 10 on Winamp.

Any suggestions (please don't get too technical...it would zoom over my head!)?

FWIW, I just use the highest speed possible, and get good results 99.99% of the time.

Thanks.

That's what I'm trying to establish - should I just go for the quickest.

Never been able to establish a difference between different speeds, I just go for the quickest and it seems to work perfectly

As I understand it, modern CDRs are designed for high speed burning, so using too low speed will increase the risk of failure as the laser will cause "bleeding". Many PC burners nowadays have anything below 8x disabled. The practical upper speed limit would probably be the hard disk and RAM speed, rather than the actual burning of the CDR. I'd think that you could safely try 16x burning.

As I understand it, modern CDRs are designed for high speed burning, so using too low speed will increase the risk of failure as the laser will cause "bleeding". Many PC burners nowadays have anything below 8x disabled. The practical upper speed limit would probably be the hard disk and RAM speed, rather than the actual burning of the CDR. I'd think that you could safely try 16x burning.

It makes sense. Older CDRs suffered from 'errors' at high speed, modern ones are pretty comfortable with high speed.

I think some older CD players would have problems with fast burns. I've heard this anyway, but it's always third or forth hand.

I always go for as fast as the drive and media will burn. I was with a company that replicated discs for a while and that's how they did 'em and no one ever complained, if that tells you anything.

I burn my CD-Rs at 12x most times. I remember having read that speed effects quality. But at Wikipedia I just learned that it's not a matter of sound quality but of lifespan.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-R

At other forums I learned that it also depends on brand and model of the burning device. It might be best to visit the website of the manufacturer of your brand for more info.

Edited by hepcat1950