Frankie Newton Live?

Brownian Motion

cd universe -

Thanks Allen.

I listened to most of the samples, and confirmed my suspicion that this was not a live date surfacing 70 years later but merely a not-too-generous portion of Newton's studio dates from the 1930s, many of which have sub-par fidelity for the late 1930s. I don't quite understand the motivation of the fraudsters; it's not as if there's a huge international pool of Newton devotees to fleece.

cd universe -

Thanks Allen.

I listened to most of the samples, and confirmed my suspicion that this was not a live date surfacing 70 years later but merely a not-too-generous portion of Newton's studio dates from the 1930s, many of which have sub-par fidelity for the late 1930s. I don't quite understand the motivation of the fraudsters; it's not as if there's a huge international pool of Newton devotees to fleece.

Interesting question. Given the fact that, by now, anybody with an interest in Frankie Newton probably has most of the recordings, you probably have to come up with a new marketing twist to get some of them to re=purchase them. :crazy:

Given the fact that, by now, anybody with an interest in Frankie Newton probably has most of the recordings, you probably have to come up with a new marketing twist to get some of them to re=purchase them. :crazy:

Yeah, but given the fact that re-re-reissue repackagings of P.D. material on obscure CD labels are a well-known occurence today, wouldn't it be a bit silly to assume that the target group of this "new marketing twist" is collectively plagued by Alzheimer's disease and unable to remember at least most of the titles of the tunes? :crazy: Especially today when this kind of CD is not usually found in brick and mortar stores (where you are less likely to have access to your collection to check) but via the internet where you have all the time in the world to compare track listings, etc. with the records you already own?

Or to put it quite simply: Do those scammers really think anybody hip enough to buy Frankie Newton recordings is THAT gullible?

Ok, am I hip enough to post here? I have Newton's Chrono Classics disc - what else is there to look for?

there are in fact real live tracks by the frankie newton orchestra from cafe society from january/february 1939! three tracks are on the "document records docd-1003" "rare live cuts": i´m gonna lock my heart (with billie holiday!), on the sunny side of the street and honeysuckle rose. the remastering from this original privat acetates was done by the one and only r.t. davies in 1997.

keep boppin´

marcel

Ok, am I hip enough to post here? I have Newton's Chrono Classics disc - what else is there to look for?

there are in fact real live tracks by the frankie newton orchestra from cafe society from january/february 1939! three tracks are on the "document records docd-1003" "rare live cuts": i´m gonna lock my heart (with billie holiday!), on the sunny side of the street and honeysuckle rose. the remastering from this original privat acetates was done by the one and only r.t. davies in 1997.

keep boppin´

marcel

Is this readily available?

keep boppin´

marcel

Is this readily available?

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1021066

Frankie Newton can be seen taking a solo with a late version of the Mills Blue Rhythm Band here. Don Byas steals the show though.

It says Lucky Miillander Band. Is he just fronting it?

Lucky Millinder became the leader of the Mills Blue Rhythm Band in 1933 and its last records were even released as Lucky Millinder With Mills Blue Rhythm Band. The tune in the video is Ride, Red, Ride which was recorded by MBRB in 1935. Lord lists the video as being from 1938 and says "Personnel of the band at this session may be that of the Mills Blue Rhythm Band of the period which Millinder had led prior to taking over the Bill Doggett band in May, 1938.". Since the personnel is unknown I guess I can't say for sure, but it's worth noting that Lord lists another tune from the same film short, Jazz Martini, which was another MBRB tune, originally recorded in 1933.

Millinder's own successful band wasn't formed until the early 40s, btw.

and he was a Commie -

later moved to Boston to be a painter and died young -

I didn't realize that he moved to Boston to paint--Boston was not exactly a hotbed of artistic expression after WWII. Have you ever seen any of his paintings? I always wanted to ask Nat Hentoff about Newton's painting style, since Nat knew him. Nat never returned my call. <_<