Mulligan Complete CJB

JohnS

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was already announced on the Mosaic site (scroll down):

***Note Regarding International Distribution.

In collaboration with The Verve Music Group, the Mulligan set is expected to be available at retail stores outside North America shortly after its initial September, 2003 release. These sets are part of the limited edition of 7,500.

Wow...so much for that "no trade barriers in the EU" bit we keep reading about in our American newspapers, eh?  ;)

There are none, except that when you purchase something on-line from another EU country, the seller has to charge the Value Added Tax percentage of the EU country the buyer's living in. So if I purchase something on-line from Germany, the German seller has to charge 19% VAT, the going rate in my country.

Edited by J.A.W.

General question: those sets distributed by Verve, are they also part of the 5000 or whatever limited edition, and also numbered, as if you got one from Mosaic directly?

I could get it from amazon.de for less than 52 euros (swiss don't have to pay one of thoes EU taxes), but those bastards from would certainly have me pay some 15 euros duty (swiss should NOT import anything from anywhere outside switzerland, I suppose; we are rather supposed to pay our ridiculous CD-prices, nice price meaning around 17$, full price meaning 22-25$ !!!!)

ubu

General question: those sets distributed by Verve, are they also part of the 5000 or whatever limited edition, and also numbered, as if you got one from Mosaic directly?

They are part of the limited release of 7500 sets.

I have purchased several Mosaic sets through authorized retail outlets in the states - Ellington Reprise, Four Freshmen, Christy/Lee. They are always numbered.

They are part of the limited release of 7500 sets.

I have purchased several Mosaic sets through authorized retail outlets in the states - Ellington Reprise, Four Freshmen, Christy/Lee. They are always numbered.

Thanks, Ed! I did think so, but it's always better to ask before you buy...

I think this one is the first that might be seen in stores this side of the water. The Ellington and the others you mentioned have not been sold here.

ubu

Are these being sold as Mosaic's but through Verve, or are they being represented as Verve releases? I understand they will look like Mosaics, and I did read the website comment.

I suspect that it might be part of the agreement in obtaining verve material that they be distributed in combination with verve outside the USA.

Who cares anyway? If this is a way to open up the verve catalogue that's O.K with me. If Mosaic decided to sell only through retailers that would be fine too, unless it compromised their approach to reissues.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's the complete edition with the alterations only in the numbering and sticker on the back of the box. The manufacturing plant may also be different.

Cheers,

Reinier

PS as I've written elsewhere the set is cheaper if ordered directly from Mosaic and that supports them. If bought in Europe Mosaic get's nothing.

Mosaic Box Sets are insanely expensive at some on-line retailers which usually sell at reasonable prices.

A few examples with controtempojazz.com

-Mildred Bailey (10CD)

Mosaic site: 160 USD

controtempojazz.com: 279 €

-Bunny Berigan (7CD)

Mosaic site: 119 USD

controtempojazz.com: 195 €

-Donal Byrd/Pepper Adams (4CD)

Mosaic site: 64 USD

controtempojazz.com: 111 €

This means controtempojazz.com is charging almost 28€ per CD when Mosaic is selling them at 16/17 USD!!!

And the Mosaic Selects are sold at controtempojazz.com for 62,47€ (21€ per CD), when Mosaic´s prices are 39USD (13€ per CD).

This is not a taxes matter. We´re talkig about huge margins with this stuff!!!

This means controtempojazz.com is charging almost 28€ per CD when Mosaic is selling them at 16/17 USD!!!

This shows us what the margins are... a CD's worth is some 5 or 6$ or even less...

I mean, I do not care to pay a little bit more for a mosaic or some independent label release, but hey, for instance Universal discs sell for 33 CHF here, which is around 21 Euros or some 24 or 25$ currently... And you won't see any release (except for the LPR series, which are nice price releases here, and cost 23-25 CHF) from Universal for any better price!

ubu

PS as I've written elsewhere the set is cheaper if ordered directly from Mosaic and that supports them.

Reinier,

Amazon Germany's price for the set is €59.99 (including German tax), or $69 at today's exchange rate (€1 = $1.15 / $1 = €0.87), plus shipping, which is quite moderate if you're in Europe and even free if you're in Germany, Austria, Switzerland or Luxembourg; Mosaic's price is $68 plus shipping, which is sky high if you're in Europe (at least air mail shipping is).

Edited by J.A.W.

I think this one is the first that might be seen in stores this side of the water. The Ellington and the others you mentioned have not been sold here.

The only Mosaic I ever saw in a German retail store was a copy of the Nat King Cole set in a Wiesbaden shop. It sat there for two years, even after it was sold out at Mosaic, 'cause he charged the Mosaic price plus taxes etc. plus a little profit. But when they had a clearance sale due to lack of storage space, offering it at 30% less, it went fast ...

Mosaic Box Sets are insanely expensive at some on-line retailers which usually sell at reasonable prices.

As I understand it every retailer has to buy Mosaic sets at the same prices as you and I will get them, no reseller prices, which is only fair and consequent. So the high prices (like with the Cole set I just mentioned) are Mosaic's price plus VAT, taxes, postage, and a little margin. It was always cheaper if I ordered them directly from Mosaic, even before I had a credit card. Had to get a check drawn on a US bank, which wasn't cheap, but not as much as these retailers wanted.