jazz...."with strings"

Guest ariceffron

I've always been curious of this date, and if it was worth picking up.

c9810936224.jpg

McCoy Tyner - What the World Needs Now: The Music of Burt Bacharach

I really wanted to like this, as I admire Bacharach's songcraft, buy I totally agree with Bev: Mush. It's the only Tyner album I've ever gotten rid of....

Konitz, yes--but you guys missed the lovely Plays French Impressionist Music, with the Axis String Quartet, on Palmetto. It's superb.

I rather like Joe Lovano's Rush Hour. There are two or three dull Lovano/Silvano duos as interludes, but those are easily ignorable: the full-orchestra tracks are lovely.

Ah, yep, Nate, you beat me to it with those two suggestions, in addition to Chuck's recommendation of AN IMAGE (one of my faves). Might I also toss Bob Graettinger's work with Kenton into the mix?

B000005GZJ.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Not an obscure recording - though I wonder how many copies it sold, and how many have heard it. That might qualify it as obscure - but has Ornette's Skies of America been mentioned? Apologies if it has and I missed it.

Nope. That's one I meant to mention, Paul. Haven't listened to it in awhile, but it made a strong impression when I first encountered it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Does Duke Ellington's "Jazz Violin Session" count? :tup

Lon--what about THE SYMPHONIC ELLINGTON? That's one of my favorites, though not really obscure.

I'll second Nate's comments on the Konitz/Axel String Quartet record.

And Paul, one of the cellists on EASTERN MAN ALONE was David Baker. That record was done in Indpls. in 1967, and I plan on mentioning it in my Indiana jazz series.

I'm happy that Wild Bill Davison has been mentioned. I don't have any of the records Jackie gleason made "directing" Bobby Hackett with strings. Little known is the fact that Bobby needed money at the time,went to Gleason, who screwed him out of his rights to a cut of the sales for a paltry few thousand dollars. Those records made millions.

Flip Phillips' "Try a Little Tenderness" (Chiaroscuro), from the early '90s with subtle Dick Hyman charts and recorded by RVG, is one of the tastiest with strings dates I know. As explained in the notes, one of the reasons it works so well is that Phillips and Hyman got together several months before and taped piano-tenor duo versions of the tunes, then Hyman wrote his charts based on the moves that Flip was inclined to make. If you've never heard Flip on ballads, he was a marvelous soulful "singer," in the Webster tradition but with his own accent.

In a more adventurous vein, the Konitz-Russo "An Image of Man" is terrific. Sad that the names of the string quartet members on that disc have been lost over time; they're really into the music.

I've always been curious of this date, and if it was worth picking up.

c9810936224.jpg

McCoy Tyner - What the World Needs Now: The Music of Burt Bacharach

Don't bother with it, Catesta. It's really bad. My local store wouldn't even buy it back! :P

I was disappointed with Clifford Brown with Strings. Very sappy. No meat to it at all. Yet the Charlie Parker with strings is outstanding.

I was disappointed with Clifford Brown with Strings. Very sappy. No meat to it at all.

Brown's trumpet provided a lot of meat to me, even if there is little to no improvising.

I'm listening to Stefano DiBattista's "Round About Roma" for the first time. Doesn't seem hugely interesting so far.