Your favourite king?

Who is your favourite king?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Martin Luther King was one of the greatest Americans. Hard to surpass him.

Other favorite kings: Charles XII of Sweden, the one who attacked Russia and was defeated in Poltava.

Henry II was one of England's greatest kings. One of the Plantagenets. Or was it Henry III? Can't remember any more.

Charles II and Phillip (his son--forgot his number!) ruled Spain at its height.

Louis IV, Sun King of France. One of the world's most powerful monarchs ever.

King Gezo of Dahomey. Built his "palace" on the skulls and bones of his slaves and defeated enemies. (No, he's not a favorite -_- )

King Henri Christophe of Haiti: first self-pronounced king of Haiti who started his own court of royals and built his palace Sans Souci and an impregnable citadel. He lived in mortal fear of betrayals and killed himself, as the legend goes, by a silver bullet.

Dr. Martin Luther King was one of the greatest Americans. Hard to surpass him.

Other favorite kings: Charles XII of Sweden, the one who attacked Russia and was defeated in Poltava.

Henry II was one of England's greatest kings. One of the Plantagenets. Or was it Henry III? Can't remember any more.

Charles II and Phillip (his son--forgot his number!) ruled Spain at its height.

Louis IV, Sun King of France. One of the world's most powerful monarchs ever.

King Gezo of Dahomey. Built his "palace" on the skulls and bones of his slaves and defeated enemies. (No, he's not a favorite -_- )

King Henri Christophe of Haiti: first self-pronounced king of Haiti who started his own court of royals and built his palace Sans Souci and an impregnable citadel. He lived in mortal fear of betrayals and killed himself, as the legend goes, by a silver bullet.

Probably Henry II. Terribly powerful, responsible for innovations in the English legal system that probably also seeped through to US law. He did, however, spend much of his later reign at war with his wife and sons. Ask Peter O'Toole.

Henry III, by contrast, was a bit ineffectual.

Charles XII of Sweden was bananas (if you can be bananas in Sweden!). Buggered up everything Charles XI left for him.

Charles II and Philip (?) - now you might mean Charles V who was both Holy Roman Emperor and ruler of Spain and his son Philip II who ruled Spain at its height. Both 16thC.

Or Charles II (the one who had every illness and deformity known to man, the one everyone spent the second half of the 17thC waiting to die but he wouldn't) and Philip V his successor. Both were kings of Spain at the time when Spain nearly disappeared, all ready to be swallowed by France.

Louis IV - you mean 'Louis XIV' of course. Not nearly as powerful as he liked to think himself. Got badly mauled by the English, Dutch and Austrians in his last two wars.

Indirectly responsible for introducing the citizens of Nottingham, England to celery.

See what I mean.

A pedant.

Indirectly responsible for introducing the citizens of Nottingham, England to celery.

Would've looked better on his c.v. had he been DIRECTLY responsible for this. Certainly it's a unique claim though. And where would the good folks of Nottingham be today without celery??

celery.jpg

Probably Henry II. Terribly powerful, responsible for innovations in the English legal system that probably also seeped through to US law. He did, however, spend much of his later reign at war with his wife and sons. Ask Peter O'Toole.

Yeah, it was Henry II, the "good friend" of Thomas Beckett

Charles XII of Sweden was bananas (if you can be bananas in Sweden!). Buggered up everything Charles XI left for him.

Charles II and Philip (?) - now you might mean Charles V who was both Holy Roman Emperor and ruler of Spain and his son Philip II who ruled Spain at its height. Both 16thC.

:g

Charles XII was such a warrior. All he did was fight wars. Not surprised he would have messed up his country. Don't know too much about Charles XI; not as colorful right?

Yes, I meant Charles V and Phillip II. Been a while since I read my books. Charles V was also Holy Roman Empire and was the most powerful monarch of his time and one of the most powerful kings ever. Philip II had some vague alliances with Elizabeth I of England: rumors of marriage and such. He basically ruined the Spanish empire (along with his father) through incessant warfare. They financed their wars through New World gold and never built any institutions or anything that would endure. They were too busy fighting their religious wars.

These folks are interesting to read about because they had so much power. Did any of them rule "right?" Probably few did, but they are interesting nevertheless.

Charles XII was such a warrior.  All he did was fight wars.  Not surprised he would have messed up his country.  Don't know too much about Charles XI; not as colorful right?

Did any of them rule "right?"  Probably few did, but they are interesting nevertheless.

Not as colourful, true, but if anyone could be said to have 'ruled right' then he must be a major contender.

OK, he introduced absolute rule into Sweden which might seem a 'bad thing' in the 21st C democratic way of looking at things. But he used that power to put the nobility in their place (unlike all the other absolute kings who joined up with the nobility to do in everyone else!), gave Sweden the finest administration in Europe and an efficient army and then...the thing that makes him almost unique amongst the Swedish kings of the time...did all he could to keep Sweden at peace from 1679-1697.

A fine king indeed.

Oddly enough when I was in Sweden in the summer I could find statues of all the others...but none of Charles XI!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

B.B.'s 78. He sits to perform now. But the voice and guitar chops are still 100%, even if he shares the solo duties with two other guitarist. Bobby Bland is 73, and is still Bobby Bland, thank God. The body moves slow, but the voice is intact. Amazing.

I'm glad I went. These guys are icons and ain't gonna last forever,