Hoops 2008-2009

I had the good fortune to attend games 1 and 2 of CLE/ORL. Game 1 was so tight at the end. Tough watching the big Cavs leads drip drip away--that clock couldn't click down fast enough. And the silence in the arena when they were 1 second away from going down 0-2. And then, Wow!!! Made for an interesting drive home--everyone highfiving each other in the garage, etc. Yet everyone it seemed had the same general unease.

Cavs are definitely in trouble. And LeBron is definitely the man. Too bad that with everyone now watching them closely, Mo Williams and Delonte West have completely disappeared. At least the Cleveland defense improved in game 3. As lousy as they were shooting as a team, they were only down 3 or 4 midway into the 4th quarter. Turkoglu and Rashard were less than All-Beastly. And congrats to Dwight Howard for making most of his free throws--he'll need to keep it up tomorrow.

I'm not optimistic about Cavs, and I dread the inevitable uptick in "He's going to NY" chatter that will follow their exit. They have phones in Cleveland, and an international airport. Folks can figure out how to get there (or to Akron). How much more coin is LeBron really going to make as a Knick, and how? I don't think he'll be pitching the local used car dealer or drycleaner. Coke and Nike and Cub Cadet and Vitamin Water etc have managed to find Him in Ohio (and have paid him). end of rant.

Despite the cynical "Stern wants Kobe/LeBron" chatter, I think NBA has to be thrilled with the conference finals so far. All games have been close, and the stars have played well. Officiating has been a bit dicey, but hey, it's the NBA.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

raising the question if LeBron in Cleveland = Kareem in Milwaukee...

BUT - Kareem, Oscar & co. won a championship in Milwaukee.

True, but he didn't become a "legend" until he hit the Lakers and contributed to a dynasty. I'm starting to question the Cleveland franchise's capacity to get that "championship" thing up and running. It's takes a helluva loit more than "luck", good players, and one super-superstar. It's a whole "culture" if you will.

Now, imagine James going, not to NY, but to Chicago.... hmmmm....

raising the question if LeBron in Cleveland = Kareem in Milwaukee...

BUT - Kareem, Oscar & co. won a championship in Milwaukee.

True, but he didn't become a "legend" until he hit the Lakers and contributed to a dynasty. I'm starting to question the Cleveland franchise's capacity to get that "championship" thing up and running. It's takes a helluva loit more than "luck", good players, and one super-superstar. It's a whole "culture" if you will.

Now, imagine James going, not to NY, but to Chicago.... hmmmm....

And the Lakers didn't become a dynasty until Magic (& later Worthy) joined Kareem. As you say, there's more involved in winning it all than a superstar and some good players.

I hope that LeBron stays in Cleveland. Hey, it's his home town - tho that probably doesn't mean much.

I'd love to see Lebron stay in Cleveland, but only if the organization bumps it up a notch or two. Right now it looks like they've yet to figure out what it'll take to get to that next level. That's what the Lakers had when they got Kareem, an organizational understanding of what it took. Might've been dormant for a few years, but when they awoke, they knew how & where to proceed, just as they did after that dynasty fell and the franchise went dormant for a while.

But now, how are liking, theoretically/on paper) Chicago as a new town/new fit for Lebron? I think that could rule the NBA like none other, maybe? But it would be nice to see it happen in Cleveland, a great sports town for years that's not been rewarded in proportion to its loyalties.

Whoa, stop, take a breath.

Each scenario given took some time to fill those holes needed to become a championship team. Cleveland is on the right path but they need some more time. Lets just see what they do in the draft and then any subsequent trades before passing judgment. Cleveland is perched to become what you are talking about. So whoa, stop, take a breath, and get out of the instant gratification mode. It will happen if Lebron stays put. Right now, NY is a sure bet to suffocate Lebron.

If Cleveland is going to keep the ball in Lebron's hands, then they need a star power forward. If not, they need a star ball handling guard. He can't win and be both. Give Cleveland some time. Lebron is only 21 years old.

:bwallace2:

p.s. remember this scenario; as great as Michael was, he didn't win until the team filled up all the pieces needed. Remember!! It took 8 years.

Nuggets have played a good game thus far, but are losing their poise in the 4th- 2 technical fouls in quick succession. They need to take care of business and STFU.

EDIT: They pulled it together and finished strong. Glad to see the series tied up.

Edited by Free For All

Nuggets have played a good game thus far, but are losing their poise in the 4th- 2 technical fouls in quick succession. They need to take care of business and STFU.

EDIT: They pulled it together and finished strong. Glad to see the series tied up.

Yeah, watched the final quarter and was impressed with their good defense and quick possession of the ball.

p.s. remember this scenario; as great as Michael was, he didn't win until the team filled up all the pieces needed. Remember!! It took 8 years.

Not to split hairs but MJ was drafted in 1984 and the Bulls won their first title in 1991, so 7 years. Still, point taken!

Cleveland got the benefit of 2 calls at the end of regulation tonight, IMO.

The first when LeBron got "fouled" on the play where he shot the 2 free throws to tie it up. He initiated the contact.

The other when Varejao didn't get called for a foul on Howard on the last inbound lob.

Cleveland is lucky this game is in OT.

Well, I don't think there's any way the Cavs can win three in a row. Hate to say it, but I think they're about done.

Exciting game, though!

Have to agree, especially if there's a game seven, it would take the Cavs right back in Orlando. Tonight was the Cav's big chance to level the series and it slipped right through their hands.

Well, I don't think there's any way the Cavs can win three in a row. Hate to say it, but I think they're about done.

Exciting game, though!

Have to agree, especially if there's a game seven, it would take the Cavs right back in Orlando. Tonight was the Cav's big chance to level the series and it slipped right through their hands.

That can't be right. The format is 2-2-1-1-1, so game 6 will be in Orlando (if necessary as they say).

I don't know. LeBron clearly wants a ring, and this should have been his best chance yet, but the rest of the team is letting him down. He may very well bolt to a team with deeper pockets that can sustain a better run at it. Well, we would welcome him here in Chicago. There's remarkably little ill blood between Chicago fans and LeBron, so that could work. I'm trying to picture LeBron and Derick Rose together, but I think it would be pretty incredible.

IMO

At the end of the 4th Howard was behind the backboard so the lob pass wouldn't work

I was calling out the lob to Howard that is his signature play

LBJ had too many

turnovers and an airball in OT but still had a chance to win the game

D-Howard needs to work on his upper body

LOL

Edited by Soulstation1

Cleveland got the benefit of 2 calls at the end of regulation tonight, IMO.

The first when LeBron got "fouled" on the play where he shot the 2 free throws to tie it up. He initiated the contact.

The other when Varejao didn't get called for a foul on Howard on the last inbound lob.

Cleveland is lucky this game is in OT.

I agree on the first one but the 2nd one was a great non-call. Howard was just as guilty as Varejao. Let 'em play, ref!

I don't know. LeBron clearly wants a ring, and this should have been his best chance yet, but the rest of the team is letting him down. He may very well bolt to a team with deeper pockets that can sustain a better run at it. Well, we would welcome him here in Chicago. There's remarkably little ill blood between Chicago fans and LeBron, so that could work. I'm trying to picture LeBron and Derick Rose together, but I think it would be pretty incredible.

It's true that his teammates have disappeared this series but he shares some blame(especially late in the game) last night too. 8 turnovers and some incredibly dumb decision making. I was thinking during the game how he compares w/ MJ and Kobe. While he is the most physically gifted of the three he doesn't have the intensity that either of those guys exhibit.

He won't get it done this year (or next unless there are some big roster changes i.e. a real PF and real PG for starters) and I think going to the Knicks would be a step back for him. Chicago would be interesting. I think a Rose/LeBron pairing would be great. I don't know how he would mesh w/ Ben Gordon though. If he wants a ring real bad he should just take a 1 year deal from Orlando. Dwight Howard and Lebron??? Sick.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

He won't get it done this year (or next unless there are some big roster changes i.e. a real PF and real PG for starters) and I think going to the Knicks would be a step back for him. Chicago would be interesting. I think a Rose/LeBron pairing would be great. I don't know how he would mesh w/ Ben Gordon though. If he wants a ring real bad he should just take a 1 year deal from Orlando. Dwight Howard and Lebron??? Sick.

Ben Gordon might walk anyway. He wants more money than he is really worth (of course try telling him that when Kirk and esp. Luol Deng are way overpaid). BG also makes plenty of brain farts, and is jealous of Rose. This is becoming more apparent as Rose improves (he generally won't pass the ball back to Rose). Chicago fans would give him up in a second to go after Lebron.

Personally I think Rose and LeBron would be a lot more compelling -- and more watchable -- than trying to fit Dwight Howard and Lebron onto the court where their styles (to me) are so similar. But I don't think either move will happen.