Bill Evans Complete Verve Box

Pete B

Great music in the Evans Verve box, but it is easily one of the most idiotic package designs of all time for a boxed set. Honorable mention to the Bozo who designed the Columbia/Legacy Charlie Christian 4 CD box and the equally dense person who designed the 3 CD Columbia Thelonious Monk compilation that had three rubber spindles (that's it) to hold, uh, drop the discs.

A list of thoughtlessly designed CD packaging would, indeed, be long. That would include text printed on a background of the same density or in a point size usually reserved for information consumers are discouraged to read.

The rusty boxes were stupid as well as unsightly, but I have seen much that is worse.

Evansbox3.jpg

Great music in the Evans Verve box, but it is easily one of the most idiotic package designs of all time for a boxed set. Honorable mention to the Bozo who designed the Columbia/Legacy Charlie Christian 4 CD box and the equally dense person who designed the 3 CD Columbia Thelonious Monk compilation that had three rubber spindles (that's it) to hold, uh, drop the discs.

I don't mind the Christian box, but the Monk one with the rubber spindles was a drag.

The Parker Savoy/Dial box is my least favorite, especially since disc 4 ran 10% too fast (common problem), and I had to send off for a replacement disc.

Musically, though, who can complain?!

And don't forget the big square space-hogging Herbie Hancock box. They reissued it in a more conventional format.

You mean the long-box format? They also did a Dexter Gordon box in that shape, a six-disc set of his 1960s Blue Note years.

I owned it a few years back, but once I had all the single RVGs too, I figured, why not sell the box on eBay and let someone else enjoy it?

A day after I listed it, someone named Maxine e-mailed me, asking me if I could end the auction early. Seemed the copies she had owned had grown feet and walked out of her apartment.

It turned out to be Maxine Gordon.

I was more than happy to end the auction for Dexter's widow, but I had one condition: I didn't want any money for it. Instead, was it possible that she could send me something sort of memento of Dexter's, no matter how tiny or insignificant?

And that's how I ended up with one of Dexter's Rico reeds, and a letter of authenticity from Maxine herself.

Considering he's my absolute favorite tenor player, I thought I made out all right!

Edited by peterintoronto

And don't forget the big square space-hogging Herbie Hancock box. They reissued it in a more conventional format.

You mean the long-box format?

No I think he means this one, the square plexiglass box:

B00006L3J2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Yes, it first came out in that plastic monstrosity, then later was issued in the longbox.

Yeah, I actually love the packaging on the Dexter and Hancock Blue Note boxes, also used on later the Miles and Coltrane Prestige boxes.

A list of thoughtlessly designed CD packaging would, indeed, be long. That would include text printed on a background of the same density or in a point size usually reserved for information consumers are discouraged to read.

Well said, Chris, lol.

The Miles Davis Columbia box set booklets are often terrible to read. Some pages have weird background colors under the text. And the things snap shut so easily. In every case, I took the CDs out of the sleeves and rehoused them in jewel cases. Otherwise, the dog would have some of them by now.