THE worst album.... EVER!!!

Big Al

That Jethro Tull album title is really something. Is there a song on the album with that title too, and what are the lyrics? :)

"Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die"

The old Rocker wore his hair too long,

wore his trouser cuffs too tight.

Unfashionable to the end --- drank his ale too light.

Death's head belt buckle --- yesterday's dreams ---

the transport caf' prophet of doom.

Ringing no change in his double-sewn seams

in his post-war-babe gloom.

Now he's too old to Rock'n'Roll but he's too young to die.

He once owned a Harley Davidson and a Triumph Bonneville.

Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs

and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys

all of his mates are doing time:

married with three kids up by the ring road

sold their souls straight down the line.

And some of them own little sports cars

and meet at the tennis club do's.

For drinks on a Sunday --- work on Monday.

They've thrown away their blue suede shoes.

Now they're too old to Rock'n'Roll and they're too young to die.

So the old Rocker gets out his bike

to make a ton before he takes his leave.

Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner

just like it used to be.

And as he flies --- tears in his eyes ---

his wind-whipped words echo the final take

and he hits the trunk road doing around 120

with no room left to brake.

And he was too old to Rock'n'Roll but he was too young to die.

No, you're never too old to Rock'n'Roll if you're too young to die.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This record truly, TRULY, sucks, as do most (aw hell, I'm on a roll, let's just make it ALL) Foreigner records)...

I don't completely agree with that; I thought that their first LP had serious possibilities. I remember at the time thinking they could go one of two ways, either interesting and quirky pop, or boring dinosaur rock. Obviously, they didn't agree with me on the appropriate direction...

Give me Free over Bad Company any day!

:tup And, being a Mott the Hoople fanatic, I wanted to like them so much. What a boring let down. I'd have to say stadium concerts did serious damage to the artform.

I always sort of considered him to simply be the American answer to solo Paul McCartney.

Well, that's just insulting. As soon as I figure out which of the two should feel insulted, I'll get back to you... :lol:

Good heavens, man! Three straight hilarious posts at 2:30 in the morning??? I wish I had that kind of stamina!

This record truly, TRULY, sucks, as do most (aw hell, I'm on a roll, let's just make it ALL) Foreigner records)...

I don't completely agree with that; I thought that their first LP had serious possibilities. I remember at the time thinking they could go one of two ways, either interesting and quirky pop, or boring dinosaur rock. Obviously, they didn't agree with me on the appropriate direction...

They kind of taught me what boring dinosaur rock WAS (by example.)

Edited by BruceH

One of the worst offenders, in my book, is Jimmy Buffet. His lyrics are so insipid it's embarrassing. And all the parrot heads singing along rapturously only make it all the more unbearable.

truer words have never been spoken

Yeah, he's on the album AND in the movie. I didn't want to mention it. Make of that what you will.

And he's very probably the richest person from the album. Make of THAT what you will.

I really think it's unfair to give the title of 'worst ever' to a compilation album, and in particular, a rock music movie album (the competition is too fierce in that genre to pick just one winner anyway!); I would prefer to give the award to excellent bands who, either by hanging on too long, or just by accident, produce such an incredibly bad LP that, momentarily, you have to question whether or not they were as good as you thought they were.

Excellent point, and I agree. Except, perhaps for "momentarily."

You can probably blame the "massive drum sound" on the success of live albums in the mid-70's like Frampton Comes Alive, Kiss Alive, Live & Dangerous, etc. I think engineers started to try and emulate the "stadium sound" on their studio recordings.

I recall reading an interview with Bill Bruford a while back where he maintained that the shifting of rock into large halls and stadiums meant that any subtlty in drumming just got lost in the acoustics. You had to hammer out a beat to hold the music together. Of course, once people had thrilled to that in a stadium they wanted it on a record.

A good illustration of what I find hard to take is Eric Clapton's "Journeyman" from the late 80s/early 90s. There's that whole wall-of-sound approach where every space is filled in (usually with an anodyne synth wash) and the beat is punched out. Some of those songs turned up on the 'Unplugged' album, a record that I love. The music breaths again.

The mention of Queen here is interesting. Not a group I ever cared for. But I'd hazzard a guess that, alongside Abba, they are the most listened to oldies band by younger people - moreso, I'd suggest than The Beatles. I don't know how many staff socials I've been on which end with drunken younger colleagues gathering together to sing 'Bohemian Rhapsody' or 'Dancing Queen' word perfect. I've never plucked up the courage to ask if anyone knows anything off the first Soft Machine album.

One of the worst offenders, in my book, is Jimmy Buffet. His lyrics are so insipid it's embarrassing. And all the parrot heads singing along rapturously only make it all the more unbearable.

truer words have never been spoken

Yeah, he's on the album AND in the movie. I didn't want to mention it. Make of that what you will.

And he's very probably the richest person from the album. Make of THAT what you will.

Oh yeah, he's wealthy. Don't let the frayed cutoffs and straw hats that he puts on backstage fool ya. His restaurant chain and merchandising of the whole Key West image thing is a cash cow, I'm sure. He's completely Disney-fied. And he's managed to do this on the back of simply awful and formulaic music. He's a sharp business man though, I'll give him that.

I've never heard of Jimmy Buffet!!!!

Would I be right in thinking that I should not be ordering the Mosaic?

I've heard of him. He's had endless hit albums in America.

I've never heard him but, from a glance at some of the titles of his songs, I guess he's a satirist (whether intentional or not I don't know). But titles like "Desperation samba (Halloween in Tijuana)"; "Elvis imitators"; "Cultural infidel"; and "Perrier blues" do suggest something like that to me.

But I've seen a photo of him wearing a Jack McDuff type of sailor's hat, which doesn't go well with satire (or not obviously).

Can someone start a trhead about this mystry man, whose records have probably never been released in Britain?

MG

I've never heard of Jimmy Buffet!!!!

Would I be right in thinking that I should not be ordering the Mosaic?

I've heard of him. He's had endless hit albums in America.

I've never heard him but, from a glance at some of the titles of his songs, I guess he's a satirist (whether intentional or not I don't know). But titles like "Desperation samba (Halloween in Tijuana)"; "Elvis imitators"; "Cultural infidel"; and "Perrier blues" do suggest something like that to me.

But I've seen a photo of him wearing a Jack McDuff type of sailor's hat, which doesn't go well with satire (or not obviously).

Can someone start a trhead about this mystry man, whose records have probably never been released in Britain?

MG

:rfr Oh no. ... What have I done?!

He plays a vague blend of country/tropical/caribbean music that is very simplistic, designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, mainly when people are gathered to drink.

That's really about all one needs to know, I think. :P

So why does he have those satirical-looking song titles?

MG

He plays a vague blend of country/tropical/caribbean music that is very simplistic, designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, mainly when people are gathered to drink.

That's really about all one needs to know, I think. :P

So why does he have those satirical-looking song titles?

MG

Because he's "clever". :alien:

Ya' know, when he first hit the scene he was cool for a few minutes. It was droll and wry, and yes, "clever". I mean, how do you not get a kick out of an album called "A White Sport Coat & A Pink Crustacean"? At least, that is, until the same type joke gets told over and over and over without any variance whatsoever and self-parody and self-caricature are warmly embraced and cashed in upon...