THE worst album.... EVER!!!

Big Al

I gotta hand it to whoever put this together. Something this awful takes more thought than one might imagine.

Speaking of which, ahve you ever seen the movie, Al? As Irecall it (which is very loosely) the soundtrack is perfect for the plot, which, yeah, pretty much implies everything you think it does. :g

I caught the first ten minutes of it with Martin Mull racing to get to his job as a DJ. I was laughing my ass off!

Believe it or not, I really do want to see this movie. For all the reasons you mentioned as well as to see where "WKRP in Cincinnati" got the ideas.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Something else - what changed rock from an AM to an FM music was the psychedelic/etc bands of the late 60s, but what kept it an FM music to this day was in great measure the sound of so much L.A. Rock, which again, and do not underestimate this, was a direct offshoot of the production of Abbey Road.

Like I always say, love the innovator, the followers, not so much. Sometimes. And this is one of those times.

Queen "We Will Rock You." Not bad per se, but without "Champions?" That's just wrong!

I've always found both those songs to be utterly obnoxious. Well, OK, the latter is very probably meant as some sort of PARODY of obnoxiousness....while managing to still be utterly obnoxious. Genius, of a sort.

Billy Joel "Just the Way You Are." Listening to Billy Joel is the aural equivalent of reading "Bloom County:" it has its moments, but you've seen it done so much better by others. It doesn't help his case when he tries to claim he's a rocker with dreck like this.

I always sort of considered him to simply be the American answer to solo Paul McCartney.

I recently discovered some early-early Steve Miller albums (1960s we're talking) and find them involving and listenable. His first LP "Children of the Future" is a fine psychedelia/power pop amalgam.

What are some other examples of slicksters whose earliest output was forgotten in place of the later 70s dross?

I recently discovered some early-early Steve Miller albums (1960s we're talking) and find them involving and listenable. His first LP "Children of the Future" is a fine psychedelia/power pop amalgam.

What are some other examples of slicksters whose earliest output was forgotten in place of the later 70s dross?

Miller's "Children of the Future" and "Sailor" are quite a bit better than all of the rest of his output, in my opinion.

Almost (ALMOST!) any band that was around in the '70s and is still touring today in some form or another is almost by default an embarrassment. We've all moved on, why can't they? Maybe because they never believed in the music in the first place. They're perfectly happy playing the same damn songs for the 8 trillionth time just to make their nut.

One of the worst offenders, in my book, is Jimmy Buffet. His lyrics are so insipid it's embarrassing. And all the parrot heads singing along rapturously only make it all the more unbearable.

I blew out my flip-flop

Stepped on a pop-top

Cut my heel had to cruise on back home

But theres booze in the blender

And soon it will render

That frozen concoction that helps me hang on

:bad: ... Oy.

bwaaahaha Al!

Unfortunately I've had to live with, most recently, the worst album of all time ... AND it's a two CD set.

0eae02eb-6a5f-45f2-ad20-6acce65e77d3.jpg

WTF is THAT???

Watch the movie. Once.

That sounds like a dare... :g

Or a threat. :w:D

and now for a contrasting point of view! i liked the movie and the soundtrack! i thought the cast was excellent and performed the songs quite well!

flame away! :winky:

bwaaahaha Al!

Unfortunately I've had to live with, most recently, the worst album of all time ... AND it's a two CD set.

0eae02eb-6a5f-45f2-ad20-6acce65e77d3.jpg

WTF is THAT???

Watch the movie. Once.

My 14 year old niece is getting into The Beatles and I've been helping. She told me I must see that movie, and I gently replied that my impression is that it's one of those movies that younger people like more than older folks. :) And like a post below (edited: or above!, Hot Ptah's), from the preview I saw the '60s sure looked squeaky clean.

How 'bout a Beatles inspired doublebill?

post-377-1226531118_thumb.jpg

Edited by Quincy

No, that honor goes to Linda Ronstadt. My GOD, what were record-buyers thinking when they put her at the top of the charts? There is absolutely nothing, NOTHING, remotely redeeming about any aspect of her career.

Some of her album cover art in LP days used to be nice ! :rsmile:

this was one of the posters i had on my wall growing up:

lindawts1.jpg

One of the worst offenders, in my book, is Jimmy Buffet. His lyrics are so insipid it's embarrassing. And all the parrot heads singing along rapturously only make it all the more unbearable.

truer words have never been spoken

Yeah, he's on the album AND in the movie. I didn't want to mention it. Make of that what you will.

Bob Seger "Night Moves." It must suck to live in Michigan knowing that everyone thinks that Seger is such a revered icon in Michigan. I know better. I've hung around people who actually LIVE there!

Amen. I've never understood the appeal of "the poor man's Springsteen"

No, that honor goes to Linda Ronstadt. My GOD, what were record-buyers thinking when they put her at the top of the charts? There is absolutely nothing, NOTHING, remotely redeeming about any aspect of her career.

Some of her album cover art in LP days used to be nice ! :rsmile:

this was one of the posters i had on my wall growing up:

lindawts1.jpg

'THATS THE ONE !!!! :lol:

The local vinyl shop back in the day had that stuck on a poster near the door hence the drooling adolescent tongue hanging out when I wandered in !

Edited by sidewinder

This record truly, TRULY, sucks, as do most (aw hell, I'm on a roll, let's just make it ALL) Foreigner records)...

I don't completely agree with that; I thought that their first LP had serious possibilities. I remember at the time thinking they could go one of two ways, either interesting and quirky pop, or boring dinosaur rock. Obviously, they didn't agree with me on the appropriate direction...

I really think it's unfair to give the title of 'worst ever' to a compilation album, and in particular, a rock music movie album (the competition is too fierce in that genre to pick just one winner anyway!); I would prefer to give the award to excellent bands who, either by hanging on too long, or just by accident, produce such an incredibly bad LP that, momentarily, you have to question whether or not they were as good as you thought they were. This is why these two albums always come to my mind in these discussions:

e26922stdmf.jpg

f93573kqn7y.jpg

Naturally, I don't expect the agreement that the FM soundtrack garnished, but damn, these were a couple of disappointments!

I really think it's unfair to give the title of 'worst ever' to a compilation album, and in particular, a rock music movie album (the competition is too fierce in that genre to pick just one winner anyway!); I would prefer to give the award to excellent bands who, either by hanging on too long, or just by accident, produce such an incredibly bad LP that, momentarily, you have to question whether or not they were as good as you thought they were. This is why these two albums always come to my mind in these discussions:

e26922stdmf.jpg

f93573kqn7y.jpg

Naturally, I don't expect the agreement that the FM soundtrack garnished, but damn, these were a couple of disappointments!

That Jethro Tull album title is really something. Is there a song on the album with that title too, and what are the lyrics? :)