Anyone like Jeff Beck?

jrbassman712

I heard hes dropping a new album next week, its a live recording form his performance at Ronnie Scotts Jazz Club I heard a lcip of it and it sounds pretty good. Does anyone else her like Jeff Beck?

Here's the link to the sound clip:

http://fontana.edgeboss.net/wmedia/fontana...d_as_lovers.wax

Jordan Fontana

Edited by jrbassman712

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an extremely talented musician with a markedly flawed personality, imo. beck was my "guitar god" when i was a teenager, and vastly superior to jimmy page et. al i thought. the trouble i have with most of his music over the last 20 years or so is that he seems to be stuck in the fusion-ethic of the 70s, most notably in the instrumentation and the emphasis on technique over emotion of bandmates. i think he's best when he's contributing to other people's work, a context that apparently helps keeps his inflated ego in check. i still consider the first jeff beck group album with rod stewart to be one of the greatest recordings of all time, and i would love to see him perform and record more soulful music with a less flashy band that would complement the beauty and warmth of his guitar playing.

this thread prompted me to listen to some of my favorite beck songs of yore. although i can readily identify with the flashy fusion style (it was, after all, a signature of my heyday as a guitarist), i think beck's real strength is his simpler, blues-drenched style of soloing and comping. he's great backing up a singer (tasteful fills) and still moves me with his instrumental ballads, much more so than the funky pyrotechnics.

Our spammer didn't mention that Tal Wilkenfeld is the bass player on this disc- she's about 20 years old and fantastic! The new disc is about $25 at Abstract Logix and about $12 at CD Universe.

Yeah she's great. Geoffrey Keezer is on the album and she has toured with him in Australia.

There's no slouches in that band Beck is touring with.

dude, i dunno anymore- when i was in like 10th grade i scored some tix 2 his concert, every song in the whole concert sounded exactly like the one before. years later someone instructed me about how jeff beck is the greatest "missed opportunity" in all of rock. after the concert, one dude was saying how he thinks beck quoted like 1/2 of a lick from a yardbirds song that night, but he really wasnt sure

an extremely talented musician with a markedly flawed personality, imo. beck was my "guitar god" when i was a teenager, and vastly superior to jimmy page et. al i thought. the trouble i have with most of his music over the last 20 years or so is that he seems to be stuck in the fusion-ethic of the 70s, most notably in the instrumentation and the emphasis on technique over emotion of bandmates. i think he's best when he's contributing to other people's work, a context that apparently helps keeps his inflated ego in check. i still consider the first jeff beck group album with rod stewart to be one of the greatest recordings of all time, and i would love to see him perform and record more soulful music with a less flashy band that would complement the beauty and warmth of his guitar playing.

I thought his inflated ego was in check when he went for years without releasing and album or touring.

I think he's amazing but the quality of the albums and material have been inconsistent.

I've seen him a couple of times, the last on his 99 tour with "guitar goddess "Jennifer Batten who really pushed him. I agree his albums are inconsistent but Who Else is overall very good and well recorded.

When he's on, he really is a master.

Yes, those last three studio albums are very good and well recorded. But I just don't find myself going back and checking them out.

The tune Nadia seems to be a keeper, he's still playing that at shows. I love his slide playing on that one.

Here's the track listing from the new disk:

• 1) Beck’s Bolero
  • 2) Eternity’s Breath
  • 3) Stratus
  • 4) Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers
  • 5) Behind The Veil
  • 6) You Never Know
  • 7) Nadia
  • 8) Blast From The East
  • 9) Led Boots
  • 10) Angels (Footsteps)
  • 11) Scatterbrain
  • 12) Goodbye Pork Pie Hat / Bush With The Blues
  • 13) Space Boogie
  • 14) Big Block
  • 15) A Day In The Life
  • 16) Where Were You

Stratus is the Billy Cobham tune from Spectrum. A Day In The Life, the Beatles tune. Eternity’s Breath = Mahavishnu tune.

Edited by 7/4

On another board (slimdevices), he asks for recommendations for Jeff Beck albums as possible xmas ideas, recalling that his dad used to play jef(f) beck albums when he was young, asking if this new one might be a good idea for a gift.

is there a list of popular music boards out there somewhere that gets passed around?

i only go to slimdevices for technical questions, so i was surprised to see it up there too.

I like Jeff Beck, even if he's always been essentially a sideman, even on his own records. Given the right context he's second only to Jimi H among rock guitarists, IMHO. Saw him with Yawn Hammer (the fiddle player got screwed in the mix on the live album) and SRV (love Stevie too, but they brought out the worst in each other). Liked Who Else, haven't bothered with parts II & III. Might buy the new live one, would buy BBC recordings by the Rod & Woody band in a flash.