favorite Blue Note two-fer

jazzhound

Because they still have stuff that's never been on CD before:

The Booker Ervin Jazzhound mentions

McCoy Tyner - COSMOS

Randy Weston - LITTLE NILES (contains 4 tracks from DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, a session Randy ensured was left off the Mosaic Select)

There's probably some others I'm forgetting.

Difficult to decide. All the Blue Note Classics/Reissue Series were fine. Great music, a lot of it previously unheard, nicely produced (except for the odd one which was unreadable(was it a Chick Core with yellow print on beige). Good essays too.

"High Step", "Back From The Gig", "One For One", "The Procrastinator", "Here To Stay" all come to mind as being a bit special. I still have a few.

Edited by JohnS

My first Blue Note purchase was called Blue Note's Three Decades of Jazz 1959-1969 Volume 1. It was new when I got it in October of '69.

At that time, Blue Note was celebrating its thirty years of existence. Each decade had two double albums which were samplers of the music.

Mine had:

Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack

Ike Quebec - Blue & Sentimental

Kenny Burrell - Chittlins Con Carne

Donald Byrd - Christ Redentor

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder

Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch

Horace Silver - Song For My Father

Stanley Turrentine - River's Invitation

Ornette Coleman - European Echoes

Lou Donaldson - Peepin'

Today, I'm curious about what was on the five volumes I didn't get!

I'm a fanatic on these and have all of them bar 3-4 (the Coltrane/Griffin, the T Bone, the Chambers and the Sam Rivers I think). The first I got was the Elvin Jones (as a cut-out) and that double remains one of my favourites. One of the happiest vinyl days of my life was quite a few years ago when I found a copy of 'The Procrastinator' and 'Hipnosis' in mint for about $10 each.

Particular faves though are the Tyner 'Cosmos', Hill 'One For One' and Jazz Crusaders 'Young Rabbits'. All gems !

The one I really waited for was the Herbie Nichols 'The Third World' twofer. It had the intial BN Nichols albums. And it was a revelation. The Mosaic set appeared several years later. With much more additional tracks and way better sound.

That's the first place I ever heard Herbie Nichols. I bought the album for $5.

What a deal!

My favorites are the Nichols, Hill, Rivers, the McLeans.

That was a great series!