christmas music that blows

chip davis founded a moderately interesting new age classical-pop-electronic-acoustic music group, mannheim steamroller in the 70's. fresh aire was a tolerable, even pretty recording.

he hit on the christmas background gimmick that turned him huge bucks in the early 80's and has milked it to death and then some for decades. if another sincere person tells me how much they love mannheim steamroller christmas music, i will have another drink or two and shout loudly 3 times "BAH, HUMBUG!!"

Edited by alocispepraluger102

chip davis founded a moderately interesting new age classical-pop-electronic-acoustic music group, mannheim steamroller in the 70's. fresh aire was a tolerable, even pretty recording.

he hit on the christmas background gimmick that turned him huge bucks in the early 80's and has milked it to death and then some for decades. if another sincere person tells me how much they love mannheim steamroller christmas music, i will have another drink or two and shout loudly 3 times "BAH, HUMBUG!!"

I had a boss who told me he and his wife loved jazz and cited Mannheim Steamroller as the kind of "jazz" they enjoy. :bad: :bad: :bad:

I wouldn't say these blow necessarily, but they left me somewhat cold (pardon the pun :blush: ) and I eventually sold:

Christmas with the Gearge Shearing Quintet

A Dave Brubeck Christmas

Like I said, they're not bad albums, but they seemingly lack that holdiay feeling that I get from the the Vince Guaraldi and even the Ramsey Lewis Christmas albums.

Just my opinion :rolleyes:

I've always kind of liked John Fahey's Christmas album, A New Possibility. Pretty sparse...the antithesis of something like Mannheim Steamroller, steamroller being the operative word. The only jazz based Christmas CD I can actually say I enjoyed was the OJC album. Lockjaw, Don Patterson, Dexter Gordon and more.

Up over and out.

Reminds me that it's time to pull out the Big Al Mistletoe Mash Up from a couple years back. :tup

My kids have been listening to the Xmas all the time station here already and if I hear the Beach Boys "Little Saint Nick" one more time I'm gonna blow.

(I was gonna say if I hear The Carpenters one more time I'm gonna puke...)

Al,

Here's the information you were after on the OJC Christmas Album. It's available from Amazon and, I would imagine, eMusic.

The Christmas Collection (Original Jazz Classics 6011)

1. The Christmas Song, Dexter Gordon

2. Greensleeves, Bill Smith Quartet

3. Santa Clause is Coming to Town, Paul Bley Trio

4. Merry Christmas Baby, Don Patterson

5. The Christmas Song, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis

6. The Christmas Song, Gene Ammons

7. White Christmas, Bobby Timmons

8. Santa Clause is Coming to Town, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis

9. Winter Wonderland, Bobby Timmons

10. Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer, Don Patterson

Up over and out.

OMG! One of my good friends just sent this track to me. Now, I love Alison Krauss, and I think she's amazing. But good Lord, what possessed her to do this song?!?!

ARGGHHGAGAHGF! It's terrible... from the production to the cheesy lyrics, it's just plain bad. At first I thought maybe it was something she did in the early 90s, before her career took off (the production sounds like that) but no... it came out on a compilation of country Christmas tunes in 2004!!!

Baby Jesus is crying.

Doesn't almost all recorded Christmas music blow?

Well, even if 95% of it sucked, that leaves 5% of an awfully big pie. And there is some wonderful Christmas/Holiday music out there, jazz and otherwise. But

"great" X-mas music is for another thread.

As for the topic at hand, I hate to generalize, but I'll add: "any holiday music my father listens to." :lol:

The Krauss clip is brutal. Nonetheless, I'm sure it has sold and will sell well each and every holiday season. The more maudlin the tune, the more clueless people it will appeal to. Folks just seem to cotton to schlock whenever Christmas is involved. Maybe she could do an album of favorite Christmas tunes with Robert Plant. That's got million seller written all over it.

Up over and out.

The Krauss clip is brutal. Nonetheless, I'm sure it has sold and will sell well each and every holiday season. The more maudlin the tune, the more clueless people it will appeal to. Folks just seem to cotton to schlock whenever Christmas is involved. Maybe she could do an album of favorite Christmas tunes with Robert Plant. That's got million seller written all over it.

Up over and out.

Shit, man, don't encourage them!

There is only one Christmas recording that I truly take seriously as going beyond the emotions this holiday so readily stirs up. (sorry to be so terse)

It is Mahalia Jackson's original (Apollo label) rendition of "Silent Night." No Columbia Records chorus, just Mildred Falls at the organ. It is, IMO, a work of art.

if another sincere person tells me how much they love mannheim steamroller christmas music, i will have another drink or two and shout loudly 3 times "BAH, HUMBUG!!"

I caught my ex watching the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas thingie on PBS. I won't say it led to our break-up, but it couldn't have helped...

Here's a nifty selection you all might run out and purchase. :crazy:

41Wq-6sGvOL._SL500_AA240_.jpgFaith Hill - Joy To The World

Here's what Amazon says:

The first holiday album from super-star Faith Hill, 'Joy To The World' is a joy to behold, featuring beautiful new versions of ten traditional and modern classics, complete with horns, strings, woodwings, percussion and chorales, much like the big-band orchestras of the 40's and 50's. One of the most popular music stars in America, Faith Hill celebrates the joy-and faith- of the season with 'Joy to the World.'