BTF #60 Disk 2

sidewinder

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, of course:

Track 1 -- First tenor had some ideas that were Rouse-like, but the sound hits me more like Red Holloway. Probably neither, but I'll go Red. No idea on the trumpet. I like the tenor sound, and I assume it's a second tenor (unless the head was overdubbed). No idea on the flugelhorn. It's a strange tune, but it's fun. Could that be Lex Humphries on drums?

Track 2 -- Very Flamenco Sketches, but I like it a lot. Sounds a little like Pharoah only cleaner; a little like Charles Lloyd, but much stronger. I really like this one a great deal. I MUST have this.

Track 3 -- No clue.

Track 4 -- Stan Kenton tune... I'll guess it's his band. Forget the name... is that Artistry in Rhythm? No idea on the soloist. Oscar Brashear on trumpet.

Track 5 -- No idea. Fun, though.

Track 6 -- Jug. 'Nuff said. Recognize the tune, but not by name. Man, he had soul!

Track 7 -- Okay, I nominate this for the non-sequitor of the set. I liked the part with the bass over the strings, it just took too long to get there. When the alto comes in... eh... just doesn't work for me. Too busy and the recording is terrible. No idea who the alto is -- he's all over the place. Part Frank Strozier, part Jameel Moondoc. No idea on the tenor.

Track 8 -- My first thought was Art Pepper, but that thought quickly dissipated. Sounds like... but it can't be. The SOUND of the vibes had me thinking Walt Dickerson, but not quite enough vibrato (and I don't know of him doing any work as a sideman on a date like this). The recording quality sounds newer, but the piano has that classic sound of an old Prestige date. Man... I'm stumped, but I WANT this! Morning re-listen: I'm going to say Anthony Ortega, but I have no idea what the record is. I DEFINITELY WANT THIS!

Track 9 -- Somebody I don't know trying to play like Joe Henderson. Maybe Ralph Bowen? Don't know the trumpet player. Sounds a bit Woodyish, so could be one of the Japanese guys I'm not familiar with.

Track 10 -- Very familiar tune. I think this is one of those Shihab recordings that just showed up on eMusic recently.

Track 11 -- Electric bass, but heck, I'm not made of wood -- I love a good blacksploitation flick and I can see it just hearing this. Hmm... this actually sounds like an Art Farmer record I had years ago, but I don't remember the name of it. If I recall, there was a Carpenters tune on it... We've Only Just Begun, I think.

Track 12 -- Not a clue. Way over-produced for my taste. Reminds me of the stuff I liked as a kid (though there were no baris in it) like Stevie Wonder and Steely Dan. It's kind of neat... be fun to do a retro project like this.

Track 13 -- I'm totally guessing here... I'm going to say Maynard's band featuring Bill Trujillo on tenor... not sure who the other guy is... is it too early to be Nicky Hill?

Man, on the whole, really outstanding BFT. Save Jug, really no gimmes. Kudos!

Track 11 -- Electric bass, but heck, I'm not made of wood -- I love a good blacksploitation flick and I can see it just hearing this. Hmm... this actually sounds like an Art Farmer record I had years ago, but I don't remember the name of it. If I recall, there was a Carpenters tune on it... We've Only Just Begun, I think.

Correct - it is Art Farmer ! Any ideas on track details?

Edited by sidewinder

Track 8 -- My first thought was Art Pepper, but that thought quickly dissipated. Sounds like... but it can't be. The SOUND of the vibes had me thinking Walt Dickerson, but not quite enough vibrato (and I don't know of him doing any work as a sideman on a date like this). The recording quality sounds newer, but the piano has that classic sound of an old Prestige date. Man... I'm stumped, but I WANT this! Morning re-listen: I'm going to say Anthony Ortega, but I have no idea what the record is. I DEFINITELY WANT THIS!

Hee Hee. I was looking forward to the comments on this one... :D Not Art, by the way.

Edited by sidewinder

Track 1 -- First tenor had some ideas that were Rouse-like, but the sound hits me more like Red Holloway. Probably neither, but I'll go Red. No idea on the trumpet. I like the tenor sound, and I assume it's a second tenor (unless the head was overdubbed). No idea on the flugelhorn. It's a strange tune, but it's fun. Could that be Lex Humphries on drums?

Not Red or Lex - it does include flugelhorn though.

Okay, here goes. It goes without saying that I don't have a clue about most of these, so I may as well just go with the ones I have some opinion.

Track 6 - I'm certain this is Gene Ammons. I think the pianist is Wynton Kelly? No idea what the tune is though. I'll leave the details to MG.

Track 9 - This sounds very mid-60s Blue Note. At first I thought the tenor was Joe Henderson, but he's not quite cocksure enough. Is it Sam Rivers? I'm unfamiliar with his work, but I remember listening to a Grant Green compilation a few months ago, which featured a very similar tenor who I initially misidentified as Joe. The trumpet sounds like Woody Shaw. I'm probably wrong though.

Track 10 - I was first struck by the flute. I'm sure I've heard this "shouting" flute before, but don't know who it is. The more I listened to this, I thought the arrangement Oliver Nelson-esque. The tenor also sounds like him to me - especially the first few bars - am I anywhere near?

Track 13 - this one's driven me mad. Is this Jimmy Heath on tenor? Whoever it is, this cooks!

The others:

Track 1 - not a clue

Track 2 - A "Flamenco Sketches" vibe. Tenor sounds George Coleman-ish.

Track 3 - No idea. Very nice though.

Track 4 - No idea, but I hear 70s TV show theme!

Track 5 - No idea.

Track 7 - No idea.

Track 8 - No idea, but I like it.

Track 11 - Again, no idea, but I'm intrigued. About 10 years ago, my sister was into this kind of thing - you used to hear it played in the hipper nightclubs in Manchester. I think there was an outfit called "Masters At Work" who sounded kind of like this.

Track 12 - Again, no idea, but again, I'm intrigued. It certainly runs through a few musical styles!

I really have enjoyed this Bob - excellent.

Track 6 - I'm certain this is Gene Ammons. I think the pianist is Wynton Kelly? No idea what the tune is though. I'll leave the details to MG.

Track 9 - This sounds very mid-60s Blue Note. At first I thought the tenor was Joe Henderson, but he's not quite cocksure enough. Is it Sam Rivers? I'm unfamiliar with his work, but I remember listening to a Grant Green compilation a few months ago, which featured a very similar tenor who I initially misidentified as Joe. The trumpet sounds like Woody Shaw. I'm probably wrong though.

Track 6 - Yes, Gene Ammons it is. Not Wynton Kelly on piano though (although it is a player of that 'schoool'). :tup

Track 9 - You are on the right track but it isn't Blue Note nor is it Sam. :)

Nice one ! Glad you enjoyed the disk. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

Track 10 - I was first struck by the flute. I'm sure I've heard this "shouting" flute before, but don't know who it is. The more I listened to this, I thought the arrangement Oliver Nelson-esque. The tenor also sounds like him to me - especially the first few bars - am I anywhere near?

Not Oliver !

This disc is easy to love, but harder to guess

Track 2 Bobby Wellins and Stan Tracy

Track 5 Jay McShann, Walter Brown - vocal, , great trumpet and tenor solos, the former sounding Dizzy-like but not Dizzy.

Track 9 is that Woody on the trumpet

Track 12 John Carter or Marty Ehlrich or possibly some other modern clarinet player, I guess Carter from his suite of sessions covering Afro-American history

This disc is easy to love, but harder to guess

Track 2 Bobby Wellins and Stan Tracy

Track 5 Jay McShann, Walter Brown - vocal, , great trumpet and tenor solos, the former sounding Dizzy-like but not Dizzy.

Track 9 is that Woody on the trumpet

Track 12 John Carter or Marty Ehlrich or possibly some other modern clarinet player, I guess Carter from his suite of sessions covering Afro-American history

Track 2 - Not Stan and Bobby (interesting suggestion though..)

Track 5 - Not Jay and Walter !

Track 9 - Yes ! :g:tup

Track 12 - Not Carter or Erlich (don't think there's any clarinet on that one - will have to check).

Cheers !

Edited by sidewinder

For the record, I do have the answers from Sidewinder, but I have not peeked at them, which oughta be pretty evident pretty quickly!

Track 1 – Picking up right where the groove left off! What is that, trombone & tenor? Very cool! Love the acoustic guitar accompaniment. No clue, of course.

Track 2 – Well, I guess this answers the question “How might it have sounded if ‘Peace Piece’ had been accompanied by bass & drums?” This is LOVELY! I love rubato drones like this! And it always seems to be on a BFT where tracks like this end up! Oh, there’s a sax on this as well? Even sweeter! As long as he doesn’t pull some kinda Dolphy shenanigans.

Track 3 – More loveliness! IF this is Peter Leitch, and IF this is from Up Front, then I’m a bigger dumbass than I ever thought before. I should NEVER have gotten rid of that CD!

Track 4 – Ahhhh, nice fat big band! (Yes, Al, that’s right: it IS a big band! What about it?) I don’t know. Just.... cool, y’know? A lot better than the stuff that passes for big band these days! Oh that is SO Freddie Hubbard! Or a reasonable facsimile. Even someone as musically dense as I can spot those licks a million miles away.

Track 5 – No clue on the singer. Nice track, though.

Track 6 – Ahhhhhh, drat. I have this somewhere and I am drawing a total blank and I’m gonna kick myself as soon as someone easily ID’s it. I have now reached the point in my music collection where I have more music than I remember.

Oh, this one’s gonna sting.

Track 7 – AAARRGGGGHHHH!!! I think I have this; that intro is WAY too familiar. Almost sounds like Urubu-era Jobim. Okay, no, I don’t have this. I would’ve remembered that piano trill. Sounds kinda Christmas-y! I likey! Ha! That almost sounded like a cross between “Jingle Bells” and “Silent Night.” Don’t know if I’d call this jazz, but I’d sure call it lovely! Electric piano makes me think this is some kinda CTI/Deodato thing. Whoa, where did THIS come from? It’s started swinging something fierce! Now I’m convinced it’s a CTI thing, either a Deodato arrangement or a Sebesky arrangement. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it!

Track 8 – Sounds like something off the Hutcherson Mosaic Select. If it is, then see the comment about track 3. If this isn’t from the Hutcherson Mosaic, then see the comment about track 3. ;) No wait, I take it back: Charles Lloyd perhaps? From one of his recent ECM albums? Lovely, either way!

Track 9 – Sounds like a bunch of young lions trying to emulate the Miles 60’s quintet. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, and this bunch sounds particularly inspired. Darned if I know who any of the players are, though. Maybe they got Smilin’ Billy to sit in on this session? That does sound like his brand of drummin’ joy! (Of course, if I’m wrong and this is actually from the Tony Williams Mosaic Select....)

Track 10 – That riff just SCREAMS Horace Silver. I can’t tell if it’s him from the 70’s or someone doing a nice tribute to him.

Track 11 – Oh this sounds SO like a Freddie Hubbard CTI deal. This is getting more and more embarrassing because I’m pretty sure I have this somewhere.

Track 12 – First, let me admit my bias against the bass clarinet. I don’t like it. I don’t like its sound, its range, and the fact that too many players use that big range as an excuse to jump from low growls to high-end squeals over-and-over in a matter of seconds. That said, I actually skipped to the eight-minute mark where this song finally gets going. The ensemble is cool enough, at least they drown out the BC player well enough.

Track 13 – Paging Mikeweil! Paging Mikeweil!!! Great ensembles, frenetic without being frantic!

Terrific disc, Sidewinder. Every one of 'em a keeper (except 12). Can't wait to see the answers, I know I'm gonna kick myself on a lot of these!

Track 3 – More loveliness! IF this is Peter Leitch, and IF this is from Up Front, then I’m a bigger dumbass than I ever thought before. I should NEVER have gotten rid of that CD!

Not Peter Leitch - but I hear where you are coming from. As a slight clue, this guitarist has had major plaudits from George Benson..

Edited by sidewinder

Track 4 – Ahhhh, nice fat big band! (Yes, Al, that’s right: it IS a big band! What about it?) I don’t know. Just.... cool, y’know? A lot better than the stuff that passes for big band these days! Oh that is SO Freddie Hubbard! Or a reasonable facsimile. Even someone as musically dense as I can spot those licks a million miles away.

Not Freddie !