BTF #60 Disk 2

sidewinder

11 Funk groove sounds like it’s going to go somewhere. Then the band comes in and it’s so mellow! Nice piano. And strings, too! Nice trumpet. Cor! I’m really digging this against my better judgement – it’s going to be someone I hate, I think.

No clues about who this is. But, shit, it’s great!

Time for a fag break, as I see the next one is 11:49

Glad you like it ! It's flugel - and you've already nailed the player from one of your earlier guesses. A very mellow album, for sure.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 Right away, I knew I was right – this is going to be a demanding listen. A classical piece, yet! Reminds me of a Shostakovich nonet I heard in 1968 in a concert. Oh, now it doesn’t when it breaks into jazz at about 3:40. OK, well, I don’t see the point, honestly. And the band’s too loud for the tenor soloist. OK, you can hear him now he’s really solo. Oh, I thought he was going to break into “People who need people” just then. And another soloist, on baritone I think, but it’s hard to hear him, overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the band.

No, this just ain’t doing it for me. Trying to do too many different things within one framework – and heavily! Pity, I think I could get with those sax players in a different context.

Don't think there's a tenor feature on this one but the earlier bit has clarinet and then it leads in to a baritone feature. There's a lot of echo effects - and maybe the LP mix has the band too prominent. Quite a lot of brass in it - typical of this arranger at this vintage.

13 Lovely Latin groove. I think I know the tune. I think I recognise the style. But I don’t know. Great roaring tenor player, playing his heart out. And a different one now, I think. No, maybe it’s still the same man. But someone I don’t know. Yes, there do seem to be two tenor players here.

MG

Not CBBB and Griff but I can definitely see why you would think so. The tenor player indeed is roaring !

Well, this is certainly the best BFT disc I’ve ever heard! Zowie! I think there’s only been two tracks that I haven’t liked at least a bit. And most, I’ve liked a lot.

Thanks very much for this one!

MG

Thank you MG - and glad you like it. Congrats for nailing two of them ! (any ideas on album and title for track 4?)

6 “Easy to love” – don’t hear that song much. Jeez what a GROOVE! I know this player. A few more spins and I’ll probably get him. No, got him in one. PR7192 (OJC701). I’d have been bloody ashamed of myself if I hadn’t got this. On to the next. Is this a drop from an LP? It sounds a hell of a lot better than my CD (and I’m listening through the speakers on the laptop). I’ll compare my old DG copy later.

Well now I feel better about not getting this one, since I don't have the album from which it is drawn.

Yet!

Track 11 -- Electric bass, but heck, I'm not made of wood -- I love a good blacksploitation flick and I can see it just hearing this. Hmm... this actually sounds like an Art Farmer record I had years ago, but I don't remember the name of it. If I recall, there was a Carpenters tune on it... We've Only Just Begun, I think.

Correct - it is Art Farmer ! Any ideas on track details?

It's not from "Gentle eyes", though that has a rather similar approach. My guess is, it's the title track from "Crawl space" on CTI. (Not Freddie Hubbard on CTI, but Art Farmer on CTI - very subtle!)

MG

Track 11 -- Electric bass, but heck, I'm not made of wood -- I love a good blacksploitation flick and I can see it just hearing this. Hmm... this actually sounds like an Art Farmer record I had years ago, but I don't remember the name of it. If I recall, there was a Carpenters tune on it... We've Only Just Begun, I think.

It's not from "Gentle eyes", though that has a rather similar approach. My guess is, it's the title track from "Crawl space" on CTI. (Not Freddie Hubbard on CTI, but Art Farmer on CTI - very subtle!)

MG

MG

Ah, yes! Gentle Eyes was the record I was thinking of! I could see the cover, but couldn't remember the name.

MG

Ah, yes! Gentle Eyes was the record I was thinking of! I could see the cover, but couldn't remember the name.

So is it a CTI? I was re-looking at sidewinder's comments about my guess at this:

Track 11 – Oh this sounds SO like a Freddie Hubbard CTI deal. This is getting more and more embarrassing because I’m pretty sure I have this somewhere.

Not Freddie on CTI - although again I can hear why you might think so.

Does that mean that it's a CTI, but it's not Freddie? I see it's been established that it is definitely NOT Freddie; if this is a CTI, I've GOTS to find this one!

MG

It IS from Gentle Eyes ! - on Mainstream. Any idea of the track? :D

Edited by sidewinder

I'm getting nowhere with Gerald Wislon. I read your comments as indicating that it's an arrangement by Gerald but not Gerald's own band. And that there's some kind of Kenton connection. Can't find anything that fits.

MG

It is Gerald Wilson but not Pacific Jazz. Kenton connection comment relates to disk 1. :cool:

Track 6 - Yes, Gene Ammons it is. Not Wynton Kelly on piano though (although it is a player of that 'schoool'). :tup

Given MG's identification of the album, I take it that the pianist is Richard Wyands? After I got it wrong, I looked up Ammons in my Penguin guide to see who the pianist mights be. After a fair amount of listening I ruled out Mal Waldron, Tommy Flanagan and Duke Jordan. I did listen to some Wyands (Gigi Gryce albums) but obviously not hard enough!

MG

It IS from Gentle Eyes ! - on Mainstream. Any idea of the track? :D

Bloody 'ell! I listened to all but one of those tracks (30 sec samples) on AMG this morning and didn't recognise it!

MG

• 4 weeks later...

#1 - Cool one! That sounds produced by the trumpet sound funny! Benny Bailey did such upwards slides, but here they go up and down again... good tenor. A little swagger, good sound, though all in all in the Getz Jazz Samba-tradition. Trumpet is nice!

#2 - Sound is very much Coltrane-influenced, a bit much vibrato though... sounds great! If this isn't the original, it's a very well-done copy! Gets better and better, very intense! Great track!

#3 - What's this song again? Beautiful performance! Not Johnny Smith, is it? No, too restrained. I like this lush soft sound a lot, have got no clue though... I don't listen to that much guitar jazz.

#4 - A straight modern big band chart... not at all an exciting arrangement methinks. Once the alto solo comes in it gets more interesting... too bad the arrangement is so boring! The solo is nice, not too much under Bird's spell, could be some veteran? (*) The trumpet is ok, the guitar is again very much not to my liking (soundwise only, but I can't get beyond the sound of course...)

#5 - Now there's a break in styles... nice solid r'n'b number from the late forties or fifties I assume? Too lazy to google, but this is a style I hardly know anything about... like it. Tenor sax is simple but good.

#6 - This sounds familiar right from the piano intro... "Easy to Love" it is hm, Gene Ammons? From "Jug"? Wyands has such a nice touch, and of course Doug Watkins was among the very best... easily one of my favourite Ammons albums!

#7 - What's this? After the intro it almost sounds like minimal music for a while... then it goes places... nice one, harp backing, good tenor playing - a bit too much in the end maybe, I mean too much of a mix in the whole track...

#8 - Very nice alto! I'm clueless though, but it does sound familiar... or wait, is this the Frank Morgan track? :) No idea, really, but it's very good!

#9 - Hm, sounds like I might know this, or at least like I should know the musicians... maybe something by Joe Henderson (I was about to type "Woody Henderson"... so Woody Shaw?) - not sure though... has a 70s post-bop feel, Coltrane, Tyner, the Blue Note era is all in here. Good one though somehow not an immediate favourite (I generally have a harder time getting into musicians that came onto the scene later than say 1960, roughly... don't know why, but any Lee Morgan is easier to listen to than Woody Shaw, but this also applies to McCoy Tyner and many others...)

#10 - Good one! I quite like some flute now and then (and not just Dolphy and Lateef and Kirk). Good tenor solo, not sure if I should know this one...

#11 - Nice groove! I like the electric bass here! The strings and everything... a bit cheesy but I like it! Art Farmer on flugelhorn? Lovely sound!

#12 - Oooh, clarinet - what a great instrument, and what neglect in modern jazz! That wooden sound, I like it so much! The backings sound Ellingtonian... while the solo voice gets a bit more abstract. Lovely! No clue who this could be, maybe that clarinets band? Never heard them so far... ah, there comes the rhythm section... and the brass and everything. The electric piano is alright, then there's baritone...no idea what this could be, I like it alright, but I think the solo clarinet opening was the part I liked best! Ah, now the baritone sax comes solo - nice! Hm, all in all it doesn't really convince, too much of a good thing...

#13 - The bass like is like the one from Lee Morgan's "Sidewinder"... hardbop big band jazz? Tune sounds familiar. Latin percussion is a bit too nervous but it still works alright... harsh brassy arrangements, stuff like this I mostly listen only if the soloists are of real interest, this tenor sax player here is, that's for sure! Probably one I should recognize but I don't have a spontaneous guess. Ok, but the percussionists starts getting on my nerves now... he could at least lay out in the walking parts! Sounds like an updated version of Dizzy's late 40s big band, but not like Dizzy's 1956/57 big band I think (and it's definitely not Golson on tenor, can't remember all their other tenor soloits, but Billy Mitchell was one and this doesn't sound like him either... now for that outro bit they can relax a bit at last! Gee... I think I'd like this better on other days when I'm more in the mood for a loud, driving big band!

(*) Niko wrote about a Frank Morgan track in a mail... would this be it? Could well be... I've liked what little of Morgan's I've heard so far!

Edited by king ubu

... a bit cheesy but I like it! Art Farmer on flugelhorn? Lovely sound!

My sentiments exactly.

Nice one for getting the Ammons and identifying Farmer, Shaw and Henderson !

Yes, as far as identifying some of the musicians go, I was a bit better here! I'll still need to sit down and study the answers thread a bit more closely!