BTF #60 Disk 2

sidewinder

Track 7 – AAARRGGGGHHHH!!! I think I have this; that intro is WAY too familiar. Almost sounds like Urubu-era Jobim. Okay, no, I don’t have this. I would’ve remembered that piano trill. Sounds kinda Christmas-y! I likey! Ha! That almost sounded like a cross between “Jingle Bells” and “Silent Night.” Don’t know if I’d call this jazz, but I’d sure call it lovely! Electric piano makes me think this is some kinda CTI/Deodato thing. Whoa, where did THIS come from? It’s started swinging something fierce! Now I’m convinced it’s a CTI thing, either a Deodato arrangement or a Sebesky arrangement. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it!

Not CTI or Deodato - or Sebesky (interesting suggestion). I never even thought of an Xmas connection with this one (and there isn't) but I totally hear what you say. Heck, as I listen to it right now I can see Santa on his sleigh riding across the rooftops ! :g

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Track 8 – Sounds like something off the Hutcherson Mosaic Select. If it is, then see the comment about track 3. If this isn’t from the Hutcherson Mosaic, then see the comment about track 3. ;) No wait, I take it back: Charles Lloyd perhaps? From one of his recent ECM albums? Lovely, either way!

Not Hutcherson Mosaic stuff or Charles Lloyd. And not on ECM ! Maybe Mike Weil might have an idea on this one?

Edited by sidewinder

Track 9 – Sounds like a bunch of young lions trying to emulate the Miles 60’s quintet. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, and this bunch sounds particularly inspired. Darned if I know who any of the players are, though. Maybe they got Smilin’ Billy to sit in on this session? That does sound like his brand of drummin’ joy! (Of course, if I’m wrong and this is actually from the Tony Williams Mosaic Select....)

Not Tony Williams or Billy H - although it was recorded at a time when recreations of Miles' 60s quintet was very much in vogue.

Track 12 – First, let me admit my bias against the bass clarinet. I don’t like it. I don’t like its sound, its range, and the fact that too many players use that big range as an excuse to jump from low growls to high-end squeals over-and-over in a matter of seconds. That said, I actually skipped to the eight-minute mark where this song finally gets going. The ensemble is cool enough, at least they drown out the BC player well enough.

Track 13 – Paging Mikeweil! Paging Mikeweil!!! Great ensembles, frenetic without being frantic!

12 - Amazing how everyone thinks this track has bass clarinet but it's actually baritone sax !

13 - Agreed. This one SMOKES. :cool:

Thanks Big Al - really glad you enjoyed it !

Edited by sidewinder

Track 12 – First, let me admit my bias against the bass clarinet. I don’t like it. I don’t like its sound, its range, and the fact that too many players use that big range as an excuse to jump from low growls to high-end squeals over-and-over in a matter of seconds. That said, I actually skipped to the eight-minute mark where this song finally gets going. The ensemble is cool enough, at least they drown out the BC player well enough.

Track 13 – Paging Mikeweil! Paging Mikeweil!!! Great ensembles, frenetic without being frantic!

12 - Amazing how everyone thinks this track has bass clarinet but it's actually baritone sax !

Well, that's okay; I still don't like the bass clarinet!

My apologies - there is clarinet at the start of track 12. The baritone sax comes in a bit later, after the electric piano solo.

Edited by sidewinder

A far lower proportion of NMCOT tracks this time (and all the way until track 7 before I had to hit the "skip" button :g ). Enjoyed track 4, 5 and 6 a lot, the rest was mostly "meh" or worse.

Can only guess on #6, loved the tenor, I'm going to go with Houston Person. Or Gene Ammons. No, Person. Yeah, I'll stick with that.

I approached this one with a bit of trepidation, since I hadn't liked a lot of what was on disc 1. But blimey! I was wrong.

1 Sounds as if it’s going to become “One note samba” and it does, well, nearly. Tenor player I should recognise, I think. Trumpet player who reminds me of Thad Jones – well, it’s a flugelhorn, I think. Alto player and another trumpet player – Blue Mitchell-ish - then a pianist and guitarist. Look how good I am at identifying instruments! I’m getting a strange Louie Bellson feeling about this band.

Very nice, thanks.

2 Pooh gosh, the way that alto player came in is just wonderful! This is a player I’m completely unfamiliar with, I think. But he’s really very nice indeed. Is that Tony Williams on drums? Actually, I think it’s a tenor player. Immediate rinse and repeat. Fuck, it’s Coltrane, isn’t it? No, you wouldn’t put Trane in a BFT – everyone except me would guess it. And it’s not McCoy. Well, maybe it’s Alice. And if it’s Trane, then it might be Rashid Ali on drums.

I dunno, sounds like Trane to me. And it’s surpassingly beautiful.

3 Don’t know who this guitarist is. He’s a bit too musicianly for my taste. Very pretty.

4 This one has the punchy feel of a Gerald Wislon arrangement. The alto player reminds me of Earl Anderza, to give me more of a Wislon feeling, but on his second chorus, he doesn’t sound like Earl. Oh, the trumpet player sounds like Bobby Bryant. I think this really is Wislon. Oh, perhaps the trumpet player has a few too many chops for Bryant on his second chorus. Guitarist has that seventies technology sound that I’m not greatly enamoured of.

This whole thing is still saying Gerald Wislon to me. A more recent (probably much more recent) job than the PJ stuff I’m familiar with. Lurvely!

5 R&B type riff from a sax section. Busy Jonah Jones type trumpeter. Now a vocal. I think this is some west coast blues/R&B singer with some bebop musicians in the band. Love it!

No, it can’t be a well known singer, or I’d probably recognise him. There were a million and twenty-seven singers like that in the late forties/early fifties. So he’s not the leader – unless the leader is singing, and I think that might be the case. So I’m going to say Jonah Jones on vocal, too.

6 “Easy to love” – don’t hear that song much. Jeez what a GROOVE! I know this player. A few more spins and I’ll probably get him. No, got him in one. PR7192 (OJC701). I’d have been bloody ashamed of myself if I hadn’t got this. On to the next. Is this a drop from an LP? It sounds a hell of a lot better than my CD (and I’m listening through the speakers on the laptop). I’ll compare my old DG copy later.

7 Sorry, very nice orchestral stuff, but Andre Kostalanetz doesn’t grab me. I’ll make a cup of tea while this is on.

8 This is kind of nice, but then when Milt Jackson comes in, it becomes more than nice. But he doesn’t solo for long enough and it’s back to the alto player, who I don’t find all that interesting. And another vibes solo. Good vibes, less interesting alto. He’s good, but I don’t care, really.

9 Now we seem to be getting into Hard Bop territory with that bass & drums intro. And the tune, when they get to it, has that Blue Note thing, but not as smoothly done. Ah, then the Latin bit comes in – not Blue Note, then. Is that Benny Golson on tenor? Not a Golson tune, I’ll warrant. Does sound like Golson’s sax. Trumpet player seems too forthright to be Art Farmer. This must be something from the eighties or nineties – Golson playing with some unusual people, I’d guess. Is that Dave Holland on bass?

10 Very busy little big band number and arrangement. I visualise lots of little men rushing around in a video game. Some nice voicings in the arrangement. Oh, who’s that tenor player? Pretty good. This is seventies or eighties, too, I guess, but the tenor player is from an earlier era.

11 Funk groove sounds like it’s going to go somewhere. Then the band comes in and it’s so mellow! Nice piano. And strings, too! Nice trumpet. Cor! I’m really digging this against my better judgement – it’s going to be someone I hate, I think.

No clues about who this is. But, shit, it’s great!

Time for a fag break, as I see the next one is 11:49

12 Right away, I knew I was right – this is going to be a demanding listen. A classical piece, yet! Reminds me of a Shostakovich nonet I heard in 1968 in a concert. Oh, now it doesn’t when it breaks into jazz at about 3:40. OK, well, I don’t see the point, honestly. And the band’s too loud for the tenor soloist. OK, you can hear him now he’s really solo. Oh, I thought he was going to break into “People who need people” just then. And another soloist, on baritone I think, but it’s hard to hear him, overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the band.

No, this just ain’t doing it for me. Trying to do too many different things within one framework – and heavily! Pity, I think I could get with those sax players in a different context.

13 Lovely Latin groove. I think I know the tune. I think I recognise the style. But I don’t know. Great roaring tenor player, playing his heart out. And a different one now, I think. No, maybe it’s still the same man. But someone I don’t know. Yes, there do seem to be two tenor players here.

Good ending, though, Bob! Ah, what about CBBB with Griff? Rinse and repeat. The band’s a bit loud to hear with certainty. Tentative result, CBBB plus Griff.

Well, this is certainly the best BFT disc I’ve ever heard! Zowie! I think there’s only been two tracks that I haven’t liked at least a bit. And most, I’ve liked a lot.

Thanks very much for this one!

MG

1 Sounds as if it’s going to become “One note samba” and it does, well, nearly. Tenor player I should recognise, I think. Trumpet player who reminds me of Thad Jones – well, it’s a flugelhorn, I think. Alto player and another trumpet player – Blue Mitchell-ish - then a pianist and guitarist. Look how good I am at identifying instruments! I’m getting a strange Louie Bellson feeling about this band.

Not Thad - and not a Bellson group. It is a flugel though !

2 Pooh gosh, the way that alto player came in is just wonderful! This is a player I’m completely unfamiliar with, I think. But he’s really very nice indeed. Is that Tony Williams on drums? Actually, I think it’s a tenor player. Immediate rinse and repeat. Fuck, it’s Coltrane, isn’t it? No, you wouldn’t put Trane in a BFT – everyone except me would guess it. And it’s not McCoy. Well, maybe it’s Alice. And if it’s Trane, then it might be Rashid Ali on drums.

Not Coltrane or Ali/Williams on drums ! Not Alice - although there is a connection.. :rsmile:

4 This one has the punchy feel of a Gerald Wislon arrangement. The alto player reminds me of Earl Anderza, to give me more of a Wislon feeling, but on his second chorus, he doesn’t sound like Earl. Oh, the trumpet player sounds like Bobby Bryant. I think this really is Wislon. Oh, perhaps the trumpet player has a few too many chops for Bryant on his second chorus. Guitarist has that seventies technology sound that I’m not greatly enamoured of.

This whole thing is still saying Gerald Wislon to me. A more recent (probably much more recent) job than the PJ stuff I’m familiar with. Lurvely!

Correct - it is a Gerald Wilson arrangement. And it is Brashear on trumpet. :rsmile:

5 R&B type riff from a sax section. Busy Jonah Jones type trumpeter. Now a vocal. I think this is some west coast blues/R&B singer with some bebop musicians in the band. Love it!

Not Jonah Jones - but it is an R&B group with jazzers ! I think it's just the one tenor soloist but will have to check.

Edited by sidewinder

6 “Easy to love” – don’t hear that song much. Jeez what a GROOVE! I know this player. A few more spins and I’ll probably get him. No, got him in one. PR7192 (OJC701). I’d have been bloody ashamed of myself if I hadn’t got this. On to the next. Is this a drop from an LP? It sounds a hell of a lot better than my CD (and I’m listening through the speakers on the laptop). I’ll compare my old DG copy later.

Correct - and this is taken from a deep groove copy of the original LP. :g

Edited by sidewinder

8 This is kind of nice, but then when Milt Jackson comes in, it becomes more than nice. But he doesn’t solo for long enough and it’s back to the alto player, who I don’t find all that interesting. And another vibes solo. Good vibes, less interesting alto. He’s good, but I don’t care, really.

Not Milt !

9 Now we seem to be getting into Hard Bop territory with that bass & drums intro. And the tune, when they get to it, has that Blue Note thing, but not as smoothly done. Ah, then the Latin bit comes in – not Blue Note, then. Is that Benny Golson on tenor? Not a Golson tune, I’ll warrant. Does sound like Golson’s sax. Trumpet player seems too forthright to be Art Farmer. This must be something from the eighties or nineties – Golson playing with some unusual people, I’d guess. Is that Dave Holland on bass?

Not Farmer, Golson or Holland. Right vintage though.

Edited by sidewinder

10 Very busy little big band number and arrangement. I visualise lots of little men rushing around in a video game. Some nice voicings in the arrangement. Oh, who’s that tenor player? Pretty good. This is seventies or eighties, too, I guess, but the tenor player is from an earlier era.

Video game? Pac-man maybe? :blink::g Not 70s/80s but yes this is a really nice arrangement.

Edited by sidewinder