Don Ellis - Soaring

tenor1

Don Ellis fan, but I'm not familiar with his MPS output, so I'm intrigued. I see at CDNow that it said "this collection..." which may mean selections from various albums...is that the case? Or is it something else? :unsure:

Any info would be greatly appreciated :tup

HG

As a jazz radio programmer in the early 70's, I recall being unimpressed with both 'Soaring' and Haiku' when the promo copies arrived. They were thin, unformed, and facile, compared to Ellis' earlier works. I dutifully filed them in the station library but never played either of them on air. My advice: tread lightly and sample first.

Don Ellis fan, but I'm not familiar with his MPS output, so I'm intrigued. I see at CDNow that it said "this collection..." which may mean selections from various albums...is that the case? Or is it something else? :unsure:

HG

Soaring and Haiku are studio albums released in 1973. Soaring is a big band album that continues in a similar vein from Tears of Joy, heading toward the later style of Live at Montreux. If you like either of those two albums, you will very likely enjoy this one. Similarly, if you don't like those two albums, you probably won't like this one either. Soaring is way better than the very commercial big band studio albums that preceded and followed it (Connection and Star Wars).

Haiku is a Don Ellis with strings album, definitely different than his other work and one that fans of the orchestra may or may not like. But you can't get that on CD yet - it's just Soaring that is available now.

Edited by tenor1

HG

As a jazz radio programmer in the early 70's, I recall being unimpressed with both 'Soaring' and Haiku' when the promo copies arrived. They were thin, unformed, and facile, compared to Ellis' earlier works. I dutifully filed them in the station library but never played either of them on air. My advice: tread lightly and sample first.

File under Different Strokes/Eye Of The Beholder/Etc - I appreciate(d) the lighter touch/textures of these albums relative to the earlier work.

Agreed though - none of the MPS stuff is blatantly "like" the Columbia stuff, other than the aforementioned Tears Of Joy.

• 2 months later...

I believe anybody who likes big band jazz could very well end up IN LOVE with Soaring. I had not listened to the vinyl in 7+ years and so I was a bit slow to hunt down the reissue, though I was aware of it last year. This is a tight 70s studio session, with typical Don Ellis band originality and athletic virtuosity. Deep electric bass in spots and horns very well balanced and recorded, much better dynamics and clarity than the typical sessions from Ellis' Columbia catalog. If you like any of Don Ellis' work, then you definitely need to experience this record. I believe it to be one of his very best. So go for it (I found it at J&R for less than $15, not a lavish reissue but fine sound and thoughtful new liner notes.) More later. Dan

I believe anybody who likes big band jazz could very well end up IN LOVE with Soaring. I had not listened to the vinyl in 7+ years and so I was a bit slow to hunt down the reissue, though I was aware of it last year. This is a tight 70s studio session, with typical Don Ellis band originality and athletic virtuosity. Deep electric bass in spots and horns very well balanced and recorded, much better dynamics and clarity than the typical sessions from Ellis' Columbia catalog. If you like any of Don Ellis' work, then you definitely need to experience this record. I believe it to be one of his very best. So go for it (I found it at J&R for less than $15, not a lavish reissue but fine sound and thoughtful new liner notes.) More later. Dan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

And now Haiku has been released on Promising Music! Finally, every Don Ellis album commercially released on LP has made the transition to CD. Haiku is a sort of proto-new-agey trumpet plus strings album. It's not the place to start with Don's music, but fans should grab it while you can!

• 5 weeks later...

I urge everybody that is some kind of a Don Ellis fan to get the documentary DVD another board member helped produce - it's definitely worth it. I got ot through amazon. I think Ellis is very underrated. I have loved and followed his music since I heard it for the first time, and learned so much from it.

51JhWOzEOoL._SS500_.jpg

link

Edited by mikeweil