A Double Murderer Will Not Walk The Streets Soon

I predict that the case will be reversed, just reading about the quality of the witnesses and the State's case - I believe OJ is guilty of all these crimes, but there's a lot of sloppy stuff with evdence, not to mention an all-white jury -

All good points, Allen. BUT I doubt that the last one will get him an appeal, much less a re-trial. The "race card" was what got the jury nullification in his murder trial. I don't think that the judge will let herself be played by that the way so many were after he was aquitted for murder.

An interesting point that Vincent Bugliosi made after the first trial was that OJ had spent years ingratiating himself with the old, rich, white guys, because it was important to his personal image. He had practically abandoned his roots.................until he needed his blackness as a reason that he was being "discriminated" against.

It worked then. But I don't think it will work now.

In fact, most of the people I talk to think the result of this latest escapade is KARMA. They really don't care if he knowingly did all the stuff he was convicted of doing.

Not fair. But hey........................................what goes around comes around.

Edited by patricia

GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY!!!

I was up watching the Red Sox game so I saw the breaking news that a verdict had been reached, but at 1:45 there was no way I was staying up even later waiting for O.J. to get to the courthouse. But what delicious news to wake up to this morning. And the great thing is that as the ESPN legal dude said, there isn't much they can appeal on. Yeah, maybe the prosecution "bought" testimony by making deals with everyone else, and maybe some of those guys are scummy and maybe some of them offered to slant their testimony ... but if the jury chooses to believe them, that's their job, to judge the credibility of the witnesses, and that's not subject to any legitimate appeal I know.

The only chance O.J. has is if it turns out that the jury talked about the murder case (no chance given the Judge's instructions), or if in the future one of the guys who got deals comes out and declares that the prosecution made him tell lies (equally unlikely).

The worst thing that happened for O.J. in the trial was when the judge ruled that the prosecution couldn't bring up the murders as they relate to the civil judgment won by the Goldman family and their belief that hiding assets and income is what motivated O.J. If the Judge had allowed that testimony, then they'd have an avenue of appeal that the jury acted on their belief about the murders rather than the evidence in front of them.

I'd imagine that this is the best day in 14 years for the Goldman family, knowing that O.J. is going to prison for a long time. He may not be serving time for two brutal murders but at least he won't be a free man anymore, and that makes me damn happy.

Well the Mods are being quick about their work - I missed the first thread, started my own, come back to see if there are any replies and find that my thread is gone and my post has been appended to this thread. :tup

Allen, Roger Cossack of ESPN has tended to be a pro-Defense commentator, and he sees no legitimate avenue of appeal. Questions about the witnesses isn't one for the Appellate division unless there is an obvious disconnect between testimony and verdict. Otherwise its up to the jury to determine credibility and a higher court is loathe to mess with that. An all-white jury is a ludicrous avenue of appeal because a vigorous defense was deeply involved in jury selection. As I said, the avenue of appeal is limited to claims about the notoriety of his acquittal and whether the jury acted on that bias. They need to interview the jury members and find someone who will make such a claim, and I seriously doubt it could happen.

I have no idea what you claim is about "sloppy evidence" - the rest of the people in that room seemed to know something was going down, and as a result almost everyone had tape recorders running, which makes it kind of comical. But there wasn't any evidence to mishandle, as the defense fraudulently claimed in the murder case.

It's taken far too long and his commitment of a yet another crime, but this is good news. I hope they give him the life sentence he has so long deserved.

Here's how The Los Angeles Times reported the verdict.

Hold on Chris. If they cashier O.J. for life, how is he going to continue his relentless hunt for the killer(s) of Ron and Nicole on every golf course in the country?

Seriously though, lock this card carrying MF up and throw away the key. His acquittal 13 years ago is one of the very lowest points in the entire history of American justice.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

There are way too many charges to have them all reversed based on an argument of an all white jury or some sloppy evidence.

This motherfucker will do time.

Real prison is going to be tough for a dude like Simpson. That lifestyle of his, plus the pleasure he took in rubbing his freedom in people's faces is all going to be gone now. :)

I hope he gets locked up with a real bunch of hardcore assholes that charge him for protection and still beat his ass.

Of course there is a good chance he may be very popular inside because of his history and celebrity status and all, but he will still be miserable.

So, it's all good. :tup

At his age, wouldn't a lengthy sentence amount to a life sentence for him? It would be interesting to see where his conscience takes him if he realized he ain't never getting out. Would he finally confess?

In effect, wasn't his book "If I Did It" tantamount to a confession? He details how he WOULD have killed Nicole and Ron, if he had been the killer. How any scum would write a book like that, showing his own children how he'd kill their mother is off the charts in terms of arrogance.

Simpson was planning to profit off of the murders, whether he was the killer or not. The book was printed but wasn't officially published, despite 400,000 copies being printed. The Goldmans received the rights to the book through the court system, and actually published it.

Here are the original and revised covers.

180px-If_I_Did_It.jpg200px-If_I_did_It_2.png

I think I've found the perfect cellmate for OJ. One of our upstanding local citizens.

Man Gets 60 Years for Murder, Rape of Neighbor, 77

By Keith L. Alexander

Washington Post Staff Writer

Saturday, October 4, 2008; Page B04

A D.C. Superior Court judge sentenced a Southeast Washington man yesterday to 60 years in prison for the 2004 rape and murder of his 77-year-old neighbor.

In May, after a four-week trial, a jury found Robert Pettus, 22, guilty of raping and murdering Martha E. Byrd, who lived in the 500 block of Hilltop Terrace SE. Byrd's nude body was found in her bed with a 12-inch knife protruding from her chest. Prosecutors also said Pettus left a handwritten note attached to Byrd's stomach: "You souldns [shouldn't] have cheated on me." Pettus was arrested six days later.

Judge Neal E. Kravitz called the crime "unspeakable" and said Pettus "proved himself utterly incapable of living peacefully in the community."

"He's going to do a lot of time, but he should have gotten life," said Byrd's son, Maurice, 59.

With his ankles and legs shackled, Pettus turned toward the crowded courtroom full of Byrd's family members as well as his own family and apologized for Byrd's death and for not cooperating fully with police. He says he had an ongoing sexual relationship with Byrd but denied having anything to do with her murder.

"Please don't give me life without parole for a murder that I didn't commit," Pettus said, turning toward Kravitz.

Wearing a "Free My Daddy" T-shirt, Pettus's 7-year-old son sat with Pettus's family.

Pettus has another case before Kravitz. He was charged with the 2007 rape of a cellmate in the D.C. Jail.

• 2 weeks later...