Jimmy Gourley 1926-2008

brownie

Sad to report that guitarist Jimmy Gourley passed away this weekend in suburban Villeneuve-Saint-Georges where he resided.

Gourley came to Paris in the early '50s and adopted (and was adopted by) the country.

He played and recorded with most of the jazz greats including Lester Young, Clifford Brown, Bud Powell, etc...

Gourley's French Wikipedia entry.

Watch and listen to Jimmy Gourley (with Barney Wilen, Philippe Combelle...)

Edited by brownie

Wonder what, if anything, Gourley's passing means about the fate of the tapes he was supposed to have of otherwise unrecorded genius Chicago guitarist Ronnie Singer, who committed suicide with his wife in the early '50s. See pp. 268-9 of Ira Gitler's "Swing To Bop." Gitler heard him and was very impressed. The last time I heard of the tapes, a year or two ago, it sounded for a while like there was a strong lead there -- that Gourley did have them and was negotiating to have them released -- but nothing since.

Comments on Singer:

"Fantastic. Great talent. He would have been one of the all-time greats." (Lou Levy)

'...a great player. He was saying as much as Jimmy [Raney] was at the time." (Gourley)

"He had a spirit, a sound that reminded me of Charlie Christian, that kind of raw sound and power." (Gitler)

'...he had something special." (Lee Konitz)

Just this past Saturday I was playing a Jimmy Gourley CD on which Stan Getz sits in on several numbers. Gourley was a fine musician who I first heard in the early '50s on a 10-inch Contemporary LP. The music had been leased from a French label and I didn't realize at the time that Gourley was an American.

Sad to report that guitarist Jimmy Gourley passed away this weekend in suburban Villeneuve-Saint-Georges where he resided.

Gourley came to Paris in the early '50s and adopted (and was adopted by) the country.

He played and recorded with most of the jazz greats including Lester Young, Clifford Brown, Bud Powell, etc...

Gourley's French Wikipedia entry.

Watch and listen to Jimmy Gourley (with Barney Wilen, Philippe Combelle...)

Wow! Great videos! Thanks, man! Gourley really was awesome.

Edited by blind-blake

Lotta guys to add to that list: Eddie Diehl (I'm right across the street from his house in Poughkeepsie right now); Ray Crawford; the great and totally forgotten John Collins; the late Shawn Leavitt (he died young and was a great player when I knew him in the late 70s, early 80s); Joe Cohn; an amazing player named Tim Breen who scared the shit outta everyone who ever heard him (including his hero George Benson) then died at 56 a wreck from drugs; the late Dan Converse whose only sins seem to have been being a good player and getting cancer----just so many soldiers no one ever heard of except a few musicians---because---at least in part in some cases---they spent their lives making other people with bigger egos sound good.

If there's even one guy on the scene today that could fill any of those shoes I'd love to hear it. Haven't yet.

Ah, life is BS, to loosely quote the Book of Ecclesiastes.

I guess the consolation is when you know you're good as well as those with ears to hear it. In the cases of the above and others there aren't too many of those kinda ears around these days (or any days).............

If I sound bitter......................well, I sound bitter.

It took Le Monde a full week to report Jimmy Gourley's death! Better brush up your french...

http://www.lemonde.fr/carnet/article/2008/...31298_3382.html

For an encore, here is Gourley with Lucky Thompson, Bud Powell, Pierre Michelot and Kenny Clarke at the Blue Note club in Paris back in December 1959

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_U_QwOAl20