Turrentine Complete Blue Hour Sessions

papsrus

51YW9R4M88L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Here's the history:

I ordered a used copy. It arrived with glue residue on the playing surface of disc one. I tried to clean it. But no use. It skipped on Track 2 (Gee Baby, Ain't I Good To You). So I sent it back, re-ordered it from cduniverse (I think). Then they tell me it's on back order, so ... OK ... I cancel THAT order and just order a new copy from amazon. It arrives today. I put on the white gloves and gently place disc one in the cd player and ...

... it starts skipping in the exact same spot that the first used copy with glue residue skipped! Exact same place. I actually went back to check that packaging to make sure I didn't somehow reorder the same used copy again from the first guy. Nope. Brand new copy. Track 2, disc 1 skips. Anyone else had this happen?

The rest of disc 1 (haven't gotten to second disc yet) seems to play fine, so I'm giving up. Maybe both the used one I got first and this one were from a bad pressing and the glue had nothing to do with it.

Oh yeah, the seller of the used copy said that it played fine in his player before he shipped it to me. But thinking the glue on the inside of the jewel case was the culprit, I didn't put much stock in that at the time.

Edited by papsrus

Just listened to "Gee Baby" on my copy - no skips there. I must have bought mine 5/6 years ago, maybe a different batch?

Mine's okay but I've had it for quite a while.

We probably have the Euro edition!

Probably - it was a "Connoisseur" wasn't it? My copy's in the attic so I couldn't say for sure (I listened to it on the PC).

Just listened to "Gee Baby" on my copy - no skips there. I must have bought mine 5/6 years ago, maybe a different batch?

Mine's okay but I've had it for quite a while.

We probably have the Euro edition!

Probably - it was a "Connoisseur" wasn't it? My copy's in the attic so I couldn't say for sure (I listened to it on the PC).

Yep. Connoisseur. What's the deal? Steer clear?

I remember being quite excited when I first saw it, but I've never loved it. I've always liked Stanley T, and the best gig I ever went to was Gene Harris in 1998, but this record I always felt fell a bit short. I remember buying "Introducing The Three Sounds" not long after that gig, and that didn't blow me away either (apologies to Dan Gould in advance :blush: )

Edited by rdavenport

Just to follow up, Disc 2 plays fine, and there's an alternate take of "Gee Baby" on it, so I'm not going to fuss over it. But the one I received is a Connoisseur, fwiw. I may have misunderstood the first reference to that. Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

Try playing it in your computer, if it plays fine then just rip and re-burn that disc and keep it in the same case, problem solved.

I always thought it was a snooze of a disc, so you aren't missing much.

Agreed. If you suffer from insomnia, this is the perfect disc to help you on the way...

Or

If you are just waking up and you're sitting there with that warm cup of coffee in your hand it's very nice. I have a shelf with approx. 25 discs of music for early morning listening, i.e. that first disc of the day, so I don't have to try and decide what to play and then go find it. It's got those Charlie Haden albums on Naim that Chuck doesn't like, some Bill Evans and such. Blue Hour fits the program nicely. I bought the 2 disc set after owning the lp for years but I was disappointed by the second disc of material. I've never had any skipping problems and I have the most recent reissue though I've had it for several years now.

Agreed. If you suffer from insomnia, this is the perfect disc to help you on the way...

I think you're both nuts. :wacko:

Why? Because it makes me yawn? To each their own...

I don't remember much about this one one way or the other, but I do have the Brubeck/Desmond duets CD (has some slightly different title). While there is some fine music on there, it makes me soooo sleepy. I also used it successfully to put my son to sleep when he was cranky at age 3.

My intention was humorous, sorry if it didn't come off that way.

I don't remember much about this one one way or the other, but I do have the Brubeck/Desmond duets CD (has some slightly different title). While there is some fine music on there, it makes me soooo sleepy. I also used it successfully to put my son to sleep when he was cranky at age 3.

I always fell asleep while listening to Brotzmann's Nipples. I'd set it up to repeat on the CD player and my ex would come home to find it blaring out with me passed out on the couch.

Hah! Another album on my early morning listening shelf.