Turntable Dust Cover

.:.impossible

Turntable Dust Cover, On or Off?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I believe that some audiophiles claim that a turntable cover affects sound reproduction in a negative way. That may be so, but I prefer to protect my LPs from dust while they're playing.

I am one of those :ph34r:

My current TT hasn't any dust cover, I build one by myself to protect it from dust and other 'accidents' when it's not playing. With the previous TT (Thorens and Linn) I removed the cover.

About the dust while playing, I believe there is no way to really protect records, dust cover doesn't really seal, so I usually clean records with a RCM before playing them.

I believe that some audiophiles claim that a turntable cover affects sound reproduction in a negative way. That may be so, but I prefer to protect my LPs from dust while they're playing.

I am one of those :ph34r:

My current TT hasn't any dust cover, I build one by myself to protect it from dust and other 'accidents' when it's not playing. With the previous TT (Thorens and Linn) I removed the cover.

About the dust while playing, I believe there is no way to really protect records, dust cover doesn't really seal, so I usually clean records with a RCM before playing them.

I clean them before playing and use the dustcover while playing. Gives me peace of mind. :D

My compromise is "on" but "down" when playing. I found it was more susceptible to picking up vibrations (sound waves?) when in the "up" position. Could have just been my 'tables (Sota Star Sapphire and, before that, a Rega Planar 3).

You lug yours (and your LPs) around the world with you? LOL

Must be a bitch to plug it in in Addis Abbaba.

My compromise is "on" but "down" when playing. I found it was more susceptible to picking up vibrations (sound waves?) when in the "up" position. Could have just been my 'tables (Sota Star Sapphire and, before that, a Rega Planar 3).

You lug yours (and your LPs) around the world with you? LOL

Must be a bitch to plug it in in Addis Abbaba.

Wouldn't that be something. As I think of it, I don't think I've ever had a thread here dedicated to the BEBOP ANNUAL VINYL ORGY. Once a year, I am reunited with my collection. And my wife. Man, I spin a lot of records...while I reload my MP3 players. One year, I did a 'play by play' (literally) at...what...BlueNote or JazzCentralStation or someplace. I had a good time. And it is all about me! :blink:

Usually, this is around Christmas. But with all the sh*t going on this year, didn't happen. Maybe in the spring?

I don't think I've ever had a thread here dedicated to the BEBOP ANNUAL VINYL ORGY. Once a year, I am reunited with my collection. And my wife. Man, I spin a lot of records...while I reload my MP3 players. One year, I did a 'play by play' (literally) at...what...BlueNote or JazzCentralStation or someplace. I had a good time. And it is all about me! :blink:

Usually, this is around Christmas. But with all the sh*t going on this year, didn't happen. Maybe in the spring?

I have one of them every night. :lol:

My cats love jazz and they also seem to like hanging around the turntable... Dust cover is always on! :rolleyes:

Speaking from experience, if you have cats, leave the dust cover ON. Spinning vinyl apparently really looks like fun...

Yeah. My landlady's cat ruined a Dakota Staton LP in 1962.

Must get around to replacing it soon.

Still, I did learn about cats and records.

MG