David Fathead Newman, R.I.P.

Tom 1960

Ah, the obligatory mall gig. I don't know whether to be humored or saddened that even the great Fathead had to play one of those. I hope it paid well! :)

I'm still really sad this morning. But I am thankful that I got to see him up close and personal as many times as I did. I'll have to dig out that old photo of him and I together at this now defunct club on the north side of Lansing.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time I heard Newman fronting a quartet, what grabbed me was his NYC-like lyricism -- kin to Cohn and Sims, it seemed, more than anything else. Sophisticated yet thoroughly honest. No forced funk/soul, and IIRC he played all standard changes, no blues that night. Years later after another enjoyable quartet evening one of his sidemen, a Chicagoan, complained that Newman played the same solos on every song night after night. Well, what's wrong with that? And of course he replayed his old 1-chorus recorded solos every show I heard with Ray's bands and reunion bands.

I once saw him playing in a band at the opening of a posh mall in Westchester County (NY). People were just walking by him and his band, but it didn't stop him from playing his heart out. During an intermission, we spoke and he couldn't have been nicer or more gracious. A class act, in addition to a great musician.

Nice story - sounds like a great guy.

According to the DALLAS OBSERVER, Fathead's granddaughter Talibah is currently at work on a documentary film about her grandfather. Something to look forward to...

LINK:

"Fathead" Newman's Granddaughter Reveals Plans for Two Dallas Memorials

The page also has a link to an article about the proposed demolition of the building where Robert Johnson and Jay McShann with Charlie Parker recorded.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...