Fantasy SACDs sound quality

J.A.W.

I don't know if it's up your alley, Hans, but the "Charlie Brown Christmas" CD sounds excellent. I picked it up today and have it on right now. The main thing that has caught my attention thus far is the quality of the bass sound - to my ears, far improved over the previous CD edition. Just comparing this with the other Guaraldi SACD I have (Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus), I think they did a better job with that one than the Christmas one, but both sound great, regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Coltrane's Lush Life SACD on Prestige and was not disappointed. Although I was not blown away either. I have the regular version and do notice a difference. Similar to, if not slightly better than, the increase in fidelity in the K2 20-bit versions.

I was really hoping to have Donald Byrd standing in my living room during his solo on the title track, but alas he was still trapped inside my speakers...but the sides were bulging B)

The sound is really crisp and clear, but not quite as life-like as other SACDs I own. If you can catch it on sale somewhere don't hesitate, but at full price I might be inclined to pick up two regular OJCs.

• 4 months later...

I have written in this thread that the SACD versions are noticibly better than the K2 CDs, but that's not true of all of them. I've just compared the Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane SACD with the US K2 CD, and the latter has a much better remastering.

The K2 CD sounds a bit brighter (that is usually the case with all XRCD and K2 remasterings), but also much fuller and dynamic. The bass is almost inaudible on the SACD. The overall sound is distant and thin in comparision.

The biggest difference is on the stereo tracks from the "Monk´s Music" session. Here the SACD suffers from a strange dephasing effect between the channels, which makes the stereo basis exaggerately broad and creates a hole between the channels which reduces the impact of the sound. Either the K2 engineers have used different tapes or corrected this.

The Monk SACD is from the first Fantasy SACD batch and has been remastered by Joe Tarantino. The same engineer produced much better results with the Art Pepper & Eleven SACD from the second batch.

• 1 month later...

Definitely demo the Dolphy SACD vs CD side by side before "upgrading" if you can...I find the Dolphy Prestige recordings (studio ones at least) to be VERY excellent in terms of the original recordings...I have the Prestige CD box set and they sound great...my suspicion is that any upgrade in sound would be relatively minor unless you have a pretty excellent listening system.

Definitely demo the Dolphy SACD vs CD side by side before "upgrading" if you can...I find the Dolphy Prestige recordings (studio ones at least) to be VERY excellent in terms of the original recordings...I have the Prestige CD box set and they sound great...my suspicion is that any upgrade in sound would be relatively minor unless you have a pretty excellent listening system.

A while ago I compared the Japanese 20-bit Digital K2 remastered mini-LP CD reissue of the Dolphy and the CD-layer of the SACD, and the latter "won", albeit by a very narrow margin.

Zweitausendeins has a batch of Fantasy SACDs for sale. Does anybody of you know if they are German or US manufactured, or even compared them?

what I got from ZYX is that they use the US masters but manufacture them here.

Else there is no ZYX involvement in this SACD distribution.

BTW: ZYX is selling them in their EBAY SHOP for even 1€ less then 2001, Mike...

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

Zweitausendeins has a batch of Fantasy SACDs for sale. Does anybody of you know if they are German or US manufactured, or even compared them?

what I got from ZYX is that they use the US masters but manufacture them here.

Else there is no ZYX involvement in this SACD distribution.

BTW: ZYX is selling them in their EBAY SHOP for even 1€ less then 2001, Mike...

Cheers, Tjobbe

Hi tjobbe,

Did you buy from them already? They write in the auction text "Import auf(?) Amerika"?! Will you get the ZYX pressing or the 'original' US pressing?

Hi Alfred,

looking at some of the ones I received.. it says "Printed in U.S.A" ...so I assume ZYX does only reselling rather then any rework (as the phone contact I have there has anyway confirmed that they won't re-do any mastering here compared to their sometimes -but not always- "crappy" remasters)

Hope that helps...

Cheers, Tjobbe

BTW: ifd you check their ebay shop, I can highly recommend the Sonny Rollins 5CD box (although assuming you have it already ;) )!

EDIT: and yes.. I buy those direclty from them (sometimes through ebay.de or directly via phone)

Edited by tjobbe

Eric Dolphy - Out There is sounding pretty darn good to me but I've never heard this album in any other form so not sure if it's a good upgrade or not.

Agreed. This one sounds real nice.

The Ebay Store of ZYX charges ridiculous shipping costs within the EU (euro 8 for 1 cd).

So this is no option for people outside Germany I guess.

Cheers,

Reinier

Hey Reinier,

Can you recommend some good european stores? Portugal hasn't got many stores selling rare or quality cd pressings. One of the biggest fnac stores in lisbon had like 30 different albuns in sacd.. and a tierney sutton sacd set me back 26 euros last time... :(

So, I am looking for good european shops (online, pay via cc preferably) to get some quality cds (special editions, remasters)/sacds jazz and classical mainly.

Please, if someone has nice bookmarks.html that can share with good shops, please do share :-)

ps: the worst thing is that I have emailed national distributors for telarc, etc and they don't reply me telling where I can buy their stuff.

All the best,

BA

Edited by hununu

amazon.de is not that bad I should think. They charge 4,31 EUR per shipment to Portugal plus 0,86 for each item.

www.zweitausendeins.de has a limited number of items but at prices that are hard to beat. They charge 8,70EUR per shipment within the EU independent of the weight.

The Ebay Store of ZYX charges ridiculous shipping costs within the EU (euro 8 for 1 cd).

So this is no option for people outside Germany I guess.

Cheers,

Reinier

Hey Reinier,

Can you recommend some good european stores? Portugal hasn't got many stores selling rare or quality cd pressings. One of the biggest fnac stores in lisbon had like 30 different albuns in sacd.. and a tierney sutton sacd set me back 26 euros last time... :(

So, I am looking for good european shops (online, pay via cc preferably) to get some quality cds (special editions, remasters)/sacds jazz and classical mainly.

Please, if someone has nice bookmarks.html that can share with good shops, please do share :-)

ps: the worst thing is that I have emailed national distributors for telarc, etc and they don't reply me telling where I can buy their stuff.

All the best,

BA

@hununu: I'm ordering regular CD's in the US .. I only buy those on sale here in Germany.... (addresses as couw mentioned... maybe www.jpc.de might be interesting too)

the only alternative european online shop I (have) frequently use(d) is(was) www.play.com in Jerses (as they do not add shipping cost, although prices are not to cheap sometimes and they do not have all products available)....

Cheers, Tjobbe

I've had some serious problems with www.jpc.de. Every time I ordered CDs from them, they immediately charged my credit card, before they even knew whether or not they'd be able to supply the discs. The amounts they charged were always higher than the actual amount of the order. I found out what they had done when I was confronted with an overdraft on my card I knew nothing about. When I asked jpc about this they replied they'd refund the overcharge once the order was completed (which could take some time). I never ordered anything from them again.

I've had some serious problems with www.jpc.de. Every time I ordered CDs from them, they immediately charged my credit card, before they even knew whether or not they'd be able to supply the discs. The amounts they charged were always higher than the actual amount of the order. I found out what they had done when I was confronted with an overdraft on my card I knew nothing about. When I asked jpc about this they replied they'd refund the overcharge once the order was completed (which could take some time). I never ordered anything from them again.

strange Hans, but I never use CC with them but invoice only so I pay what I've got... maybe they have different AGB's when dealing outside Germany.

So you may be right not recommending them .

Cheers, Tjobbe

The biggest difference is on the stereo tracks from the "Monk´s Music" session. Here the SACD suffers from a strange dephasing effect between the channels, which makes the stereo basis exaggerately broad and creates a hole between the channels which reduces the impact of the sound. Either the K2 engineers have used different tapes or corrected this.

Unless my memory has completely left, I think the K2 of Monk's Music is mastered from the mono tapes except for the composite "Crepuscule".

The previous OJC had 6 of 8 tracks in stereo.