Tubby Hayes New York Sessions

Stefan Wood

I'm looking to confirm that George Duvivier is playing bass on this session with Clark Terry. I have a friend who is a bass fanatic who insists that it isn't Duvivier, but someone else. Thanks in advance!

From here: http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showpost.ph...p;postcount=288

Covering the recording sessions for Jazz Journal, Stanley Dance remarked that, "when he (Tubby) came to record for Columbia, he was even more impressive. It was midnight on October 3rd and the trio assembled in the studio to accompany him consisted of Horace Parlan, Dave Bailey and George Duvivier. Between sets at Birdland with Gigi Gryce, Eddie Costa came over and joined in on vibes. The next night, the same personnel was augmented by Clark Terry...."

I beg to differ with the consensus that says that that session had the great George Duvivier on the bass, first of all, there is a different bassist on the first cut (possibly Wendell Marshall) than on the rest of the session and having listened to over 500 recordings of George Duviver, especially from that 1960-61 time period, the sound is totally different than what we are used to from him and I will clear this up by checking his discography that I have of his when I get home tonight and report back tomorrow. I am a huge fan of his and have listened to him for the past 20 years and am pretty familiar with his sound. Mistakes are sometimes made, for instance on a Oliver Nelson 1960 Prestige Lp called Main Stem, Duviver was credited as being the bassist and my ears clearly tell me that it is Wendell Marshall

Edited by Duvivierlover1960

I have no issues with the LP and the CD both saying that Duvivier was the bassist, they are consistent in saying that, my contention is that my ears tell me that the sound and the style of the bassist on that date clearly are someone else rather than Big George. I will leave room to be wrong, but having heard him as much as I have, and clearly being able to hear that there is a different bassist on the first cut than on the rest of the date and all of it being credited to Duvivier, I simply think a mistake in crediting was made, which is not that far fetched, Duvivier appeared on well over 1000 credited recordings and who knows how many uncredited studio and Today show recordings. All I am saying is that a mistake was made in this instance and I intend to prove it by tomorrow.

geez, maybe you're right. i hope he knows we were only teasing him.

y'know, giving him a little shit, the way us guys often do.

it's like when we tell "momma jokes" and things like that.

for instance, i might say: "george duvivier is sooo fat, that ...."

uhh, i can't think of anything.

can somebody please help me out? :rolleyes:

geez, maybe you're right. i hope he knows we were only teasing him.

y'know, giving him a little shit, the way us guys often do.

can somebody please help me out?

Yeah, really......oh, and by the way, tinker around with that Waltham, Mass 'Birthplace of the Industrial Revolution' thingy under your avatar 'cause everyone knows it was actually Ironbridge in England and we don't want Sidewinder and the boys to go at your throat. How about 'Birthplace of Yet Another Industrial Revolution'? There, I helped you out! :P:cool:

Ok guys, I was busy yesterday and was not able to get back on the board, I consulted George Duvivier's own discography which was written by Edward Weiss and George himself helped him to compile before he passed, George was on only 2 cuts of that album, which was done in 2 dates, the cd release has additional tracks than the lp, and George is on Airegin and Doxy, according to his own discography, the extra tracks on the CD, clearly are someone else, it is not uncommon to have extra tracks added to a cd and for a date to take place on different days as it says in his book, one session was on October 4 of 1961 and the other was 2 weeks later, so George was on the date, just not the entire date as his own discography attests to. End of story, he plays on 2 cuts. As for the lp cover, maybe they were a working group playing club dates for a short while and the picture was publicity for the LP release.

end of story? i don't think so. according to the discographies we have access to, the cuts on the cd were record a day apart (10/3 & 10/4/61), not two weeks apart. of the four bonus cuts, one (soho soul) was recorded the first day and the rest the day after. you admit george plays on airegin and doxy, so you would have us believe that he played on only two tracks the first day, and someone else played on the remainder of the songs that day and the day afterward. it's possible, of course. i'd be interested in the exact date of the supposed second session two weeks later, if it's not too much trouble.