Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I finally had a chance to listen to Exploding Customer - Live at Glen Miller Cafe on Ayler today.  It is a fantastic disc, very highly recommended.  I'm guessing that a lot of people are going to see the name and pass them by, which would be a mistake.  A lot less "out" than I had expected.  Some nice tunes and playing by four musicians I still know next to nothing about.

I also finally listened to this one, and I found it quite nice. Nothing groundbreaking -tunefull energetic "classic" free jazz, but stiull a nice sincere music, and a lot of fun.

The vibes player on this one plays in Vandermarks "School Days"ensemble. The rest are unknown to me

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally had a chance to listen to Exploding Customer - Live at Glen Miller Cafe on Ayler today.  It is a fantastic disc, very highly recommended.  I'm guessing that a lot of people are going to see the name and pass them by, which would be a mistake.  A lot less "out" than I had expected.  Some nice tunes and playing by four musicians I still know next to nothing about.

I also finally listened to this one, and I found it quite nice. Nothing groundbreaking -tunefull energetic "classic" free jazz, but stiull a nice sincere music, and a lot of fun.

The vibes player on this one plays in Vandermarks "School Days"ensemble. The rest are unknown to me

That's a very silent vibes player ;)

That is an accurate description of this one, imo. Very solid.

I have Back Together Again pre-ordered, so I will hopefully be able to comment on it this week.

e60988e7fu1.jpg

:tup

This one also arrived this weekend...I love these Hat midprice sales! I have no idea why AMG would describe this set as a "full frontal attack on the senses." I found it to be surprisingly lyrical, for a violin / drums duet. Between this disc and Vietnam: the Aftermath, I am increasingly impressed with Billy Bang's work.

e60988e7fu1.jpg

:tup

This one also arrived this weekend...I love these Hat midprice sales! I have no idea why AMG would describe this set as a "full frontal attack on the senses." I found it to be surprisingly lyrical, for a violin / drums duet. Between this disc and Vietnam: the Aftermath, I am increasingly impressed with Billy Bang's work.

This is my favorite Billy Bang.

On the other hand, all of the Bang's works I've heard so far were good (I don't have "Vietnam..").

(I don't have "Vietnam..").

You must rectify that asap. Vietnam... is a fantastic disc! Very highly recommended.

I will, I will, of course.

Saw the Sackville ad in STN magazine of its limited (1000 CDs) edition Collection of Creative Improvised Music Classics. Anybody can comment on any of these:

Don Pullen - Solo Piano Record

Karl Berger & Dave Holland - All Kinds of Time

George Lewis - Solo Trombone Record

Julius Hemphill - Roi Boye & The Gotham Ministrels

Barry Altschul Trio - Brahma

Oliver Lake & Julius Hemphill - Buster Bee

Roscoe Mitchell - Quartet

Anthony Braxton - Trio & Duet

Anthony Davis - Of Blues & Dreams

?

Edited by Д.Д.

Don't hesitate! :tup Great deal, great music, and great service from Bill Smith. I recently ordered this batch of CDs after seeing that Ad in STN and am glad I took the plunge. The varied music and liner notes are wonderful. I have been listening to the Roscoe Mitchell, Don Pullen, George Lewis, Anthony Braxton, and the two Julius Hemphill titles the most. Around here these titles retail for about $20 a piece, with the 2 CD Hemphill going for $37.99. There’s also the added bonus that your money is going directly to the Sackville label.

Edited by alejo

Did I have some hallucinations or was there an additional post last night, bringing this thread to page 62? Some "red alert" thing? Were has it gone?

Upon Д.Д.'s insistence, I repeat here what I wrote him in a PM about the two CDs he sent me after returning from his trip to Russia:

Mar 23 2004, 09:22 AM

I had a first listen to both of the CDs you sent me yesterday. I do like them! The Kowald is pretty cool, at first I thought, wtf would a guitar player do in these surroundings, but by sticking to a relatively undistorted sound and melodic playing, he fits in pretty well. Also the russian musician on trumpet (and some flute) is good!

The other disc is more unconventional. I like the line up (three reeds & violin). It reminded me of swiss saxophonist Jürg Solothurnmann's project with Evan Parker and a couple of other sax players (they have a 2CD out, "September Winds" - I don't have it, but I heard some live stuff on the radio maybe two years ago). They stick to the low instruments, though (tenor, bari, some specially constructed contra-bass-sax and similar stuff). This kind of music (speaking of the CD you sent me again, now), is pretty close to new music, I think. And as an amateur sax player myself, I'm pretty interested in it, and like the sound they create.

Now here's Д.Д.'s reply:

Mar 23 2004, 10:37 AM

Andrey Soloviev who plays trumpet on GERU project is a philosophy professor and also has some elctronic music projects. He was a radio DJ for some time, and I learned abut the existance of jazz from his broadcasts.

What I like about the Closed Mountains stuff is that in addition to dry heavy 'new music' compositions, there are several pretty, very cinamatic 8nearly cartoonish) tunes (like 2nd track for example) - nice contrasts.

Overall, the music is in not exactly "Russian" - it's pretty much in the "European" tradition, although probably with a bit more crazyness than usual. Next time I will bring some more stuff.

Now - one more thing: the contrasts between serious european and cartoonish, cinematic (that's a good description!) on "Closed Mountains" is a very cool thing!

Would you mind telling us a bit more about your first learning about jazz?

ubu

this cartoonish, marching or circus music aspect is found in a lot of Central European jazz music from the 60s onward. I do not know of any French or W-German groups, but do know about Dutch, Eastern German, Polish, Czech, and Italian groups playing this type of thing.

Yesterday I was in a post-and-delete type of mood.

Makes me wonder what you were posting ;)

The mystery deepens...

Some "red alert! red alert" welcome to Jim Dye, I think it was. No problem, Chaney, I was just so tired today in the morning when I first logged in that I really thought I had some hallucinations maybe...

Jim Dye, and everybody else, of course, is highly welcome to jump into the rat at any time of any day.

Time for me soon to spin the rat-dried dog again, a distant relative of the funny rat.

Who here has that one?

ubu

Did I have some hallucinations or was there an additional post last night, bringing this thread to page 62?

Hey, my version of the Funny Rat thread is only 23 pages long!

This might be Jim Dye's work...

That depends on your board settings. I use default (I never adjusted anything but the time), and it's on page 62 right now.

ubu

Did I have some hallucinations or was there an additional post last night, bringing this thread to page 62?

Hey, my version of the Funny Rat thread is only 23 pages long!

This might be Jim Dye's work...

That depends on your board settings. I use default (I never adjusted anything but the time), and it's on page 62 right now.

ubu

I didn't adjust anything but the time either, and this thread is now on page 24 on my computer... :blink:

about "GERU":

http://dragonjazz.narod.ru/rubolino_geru.html:

GERU

Frank RUBOLINO

Cadence 2002, July

Peter Kowald has toured Russia on several occasions, and the quartet recording is a cooperative resulting from his exposure to the musicians of that country. He and German drummer Dietrich Rauschtenberger teamed with Russian guitarist Sasha Kostikov and trumpet/flute player Andrei Solovyov in Moscow for a totally improvised, instantly composed demonstration of open and at times rambunctious music. Kowald has a huge presence on bass with his highly aggressive attack on the strings, and this in turn spurs Solovyov into heavy rounds of free blowing and Kostikov into a more restrained but fully improvised mind set. The noted throat singing of Kowald is again a feature, and this time it is countered with comparable vocals at a higher octave from Solovyov.

Several of the cuts are duets where Kowald interacts with Kostikov or Solovyov in very different ways. With the guitarist, he ranges openly over the bass in pizzicato mode while Kostikov improvises with a definitive blend of Western freedom and Eastern European ethnic folk derivatives. With the trumpeter, Kowald takes a more hostile approach to cause Solovyov to be just as aggressive. Rauschtenberger also duets with the Russians, allowing for a more intimate opportunity to hear his intricate drumming while his partners match the liberalism. The program is most creative when the full quartet is in bloom. On “Rule”, Solovyov switches to flute and uses a trilling tongue style to probe into a quieter form of collective improvisation with the group.

Two photos from that same site:

photo49.jpg

Kowald and Solovyov, Moscow, 1991

photo50.jpg

Kostikov, Rauschtenberger, Solovyov, Kowald (from left), Moscow, 1991

ubu