Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Don't know if this is "Ratty" enough or not, but I'm listening to Daniel Humair: Liberte Surveillee Sketch, and it sounds very good to my ears. Marc Ducret on guitar is someone that I've never come across before who has a nice "free-jazz" sensibilty to his work. Cd also has Ellery Eskelin on tenor, who is his normal excellent self. Nice double cd set that has an inside/outside feel to it, and the only reason I picked it up was that I enjoyed the HUM 3 cd set so much.

Chaney: I've yet to hear a good example of a cbe cd. I'll be interested if anyone has some good recomendations.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't say that I'm interested in pursuing releases on which these "computer based electronics" "musicians" are involved but has anyone ever heard this act done successfully?  (Being willfully intolerant.)

Very much so, in both composed and improvised pieces. I'll see if I can make a list of a few recommendations tonight.

Edited by John B

Matthew, I don't know the studio disc of Humair's "Liberté surveillée" but I've heard some live recordings from that group and liked it a lot!

It seems Humair has a diva-like character and isn't easy to please, but with that crew... Ducret, is one of the very few guitar players that was a recent ear-opener for me. He's all over the place!

Matthew, I don't know the studio disc of Humair's "Liberté surveillée" but I've heard some live recordings from that group and liked it a lot!

It seems Humair has a diva-like character and isn't easy to please, but with that crew... Ducret, is one of the very few guitar players that was a recent ear-opener for me. He's all over the place!

Probably one of the live recording you have. The liners say: Enregistre an public les 25, 26, et 27 join 2001 au centre culturel suisse a Paris.

Can't say that I'm interested in pursuing releases on which these "computer based electronics" "musicians" are involved but has anyone ever heard this act done successfully?  (Being willfully intolerant.)

Very much so, in both composed and improvised pieces. I'll see if I can make a list of a few recommendations tonight.

Keep in mind John that I'm thinking of the computer-assisted manipulation of acoustic instruments and the human voice (an acoustic instrument, surely... unless it's amplified?) -- in real time -- in a live setting. (Just seems very presumptuous, rude and disrespectful to me. But who am I to say.)

Keep in mind John that I'm thinking of the computer-assisted manipulation of acoustic instruments and the human voice (an acoustic instrument, surely... unless it's amplified?) -- in real time -- in a live setting. (Just seems very presumptuous, rude and disrespectful to me. But who am I to say.)

ok, that narrows it down quite a bit. Off the top of my head I can only think of a few examples. I'll start over and try to post a few examples that I think work well.

Probably one of the live recording you have. The liners say: Enregistre an public les 25, 26, et 27 join 2001 au centre culturel suisse a Paris.

Matthew: no, I have the complete recording of the group's concert at the swiss Willisau Jazzfestival from August 2002. PM me if interested...

ubu

Are any of you familiar with a musician named Joost Buis? The only mention I found of him on this board was on a Blindfold Test, where he was a sideman on one track. Recently I've been reading a lot of praise for his new album Astronotes. I ordered it yesterday, along with Sound Lee! plays the music of Lee Konitz, by pianist Guus Janssen, who I have also been meaning to check out for quite some time.

Edited by John B

Right now I'm listening to Hamid Drake / Mats Gustafsson - For Don Cherry. I am really enjoying this one, but it is definitely not essential. I am not familar with Gustafsson outside of the Brotzmann Tentet, so it is very nice to hear him listening and reacting to Hamid in a duo setting. This disc is a lot quieter than I had expected, but still has a lot of intensity and fire. This was one of the earlier Okka Disk limited editions and is long since OOP.

The drum solo on track 3 alone makes this album worth hearing. I've said it before but Hamid is a force of nature.

Edited by John B

Funny Rat is quet today...

I finally had a chance to hear Clusone 3's Rara Avis. What a fantastic album! IS the rest of their work up to this standard?

I would say it is - though the crazed moments are more frequent on their live outings. I find all of their albums to be beautiful in their own way and greatly enjoyable. One thing though - the selection of pieces on Rara Avis is really unique and works very well, one has to move to that Tico Tico.

I listened to another wonderful album for the first time today: John Zorn - News for Lulu, on Hat, with George Lewis on Trombone and Bill Frisell on guitar. They perform compositions by Hank Mobley, Sonny Clark, Freddie Redd and Kenny Dorham, all without benefir of bass, piano or drums. Very highly recommended, although I believe this disc is also oop.

I listened to another wonderful album for the first time today: John Zorn - News for Lulu, on Hat, with George Lewis on Trombone and Bill Frisell on guitar. They perform compositions by Hank Mobley, Sonny Clark, Freddie Redd and Kenny Dorham, all without benefir of bass, piano or drums. Very highly recommended, although I believe this disc is also oop.

as is the follow up "More news for Lulu", sound is a little thin and liners hard to read but good session.

Funny Rat is quet today...

I finally had a chance to hear Clusone 3's Rara Avis.  What a fantastic album!  IS the rest of their work up to this standard?

I would say it is - though the crazed moments are more frequent on their live outings. I find all of their albums to be beautiful in their own way and greatly enjoyable. One thing though - the selection of pieces on Rara Avis is really unique and works very well, one has to move to that Tico Tico.

The only one I have by Clusone is " I am an Indian too" on Gramavision, really like it. Not sure how it compares with their best, as I recall Penguin doesn't rate it too highly.

I'm sure this one will come back in the hatOLOGY series some day. I just had a first listen to it a couple of days ago, as well, and wow! I really really like it! Zorn has an acidic alto sound that I love - he's a very able hardbop player for sure (we knew that from the Sonny Clark disc, I suppose), yet he transcends that (and I think in fact any) genre, screeching and squealing and having a good portion of musical fun. Yes, this is ecclecticism, but this is good! Also it's much to the benefit of the music that Lewis plays more of a background role (astonishing he is, nevertheless), as does Frisell, who is quite tasteful (moreso than I'd have expected from the little aural evidence I know - AND like, don't get me wrong, but generally I tend to consider what I know of his work ratehr as "americana" then as "jazz").

ubu

The only one I have by Clusone is " I am an Indian too" on Gramavision, really like it. Not sure how it compares with their best, as I recall Penguin doesn't rate it too highly.

Got a burn of this together with "News For Lulu" and a second Clusone disc. No time to listen to the two Clusones yet, but I'll report once I get a chance!

ubu

I'm finding Call Cobbs' harpsichord a little bit distracting but, on the whole, Love Cryis just a beautiful album! I don't know why, but Ayler is just what I've needed to hear for the past day.

I've been playing this today (because of your post). Its a great CD.

I quite like Don Aylers trumpet on this one it doesnt seem as repetative as he seems to be on other recordings (except for on Love Cry II perhaps).

Sound Lee! plays the music of Lee Konitz, by pianist Guus Janssen, who I have also been meaning to check out for quite some time.

Anyone know where this CD can be got this side of the pond.

Janssen is a very special pianist indeed. Very quirky originals , he's very aware of jazz history and has special affinity for Monk/Nichols. Also a heavy Tristano influence, his stuff is darn hard to get hold of ...

Actually all recent reissues sound good - SPiritual Unity by Dutch label Calibre sounds great[.....]

Er, really? I have a reissue from that period in the 1990s when a German label put all the ESP catalogue back in print. It sounds better than Machine Gun but that's about all I can say in its favour.

Nate, you are referring to ZYX reissues - thjis was the first wave of CD ESP reissues, and they do not sound good. Calibre is (was?) a Dutch company, and their reissues (from late 90s - early 00s) sound excellent. Calibre version of Spiritual Unity sounds really terific.

Léandre / Maneri / Marguet / Ryan: For Flowers (Leo)

Perhaps it is a hesitancy on the part of the musicians to truly engage in an improvisation with Joel Ryan, on "computer based electronics", that leads to this stasis. There is a certain amount of confidence and trust necessary in order to allow your sound, that most personal and defining of improvisational fingerprints, to be altered and distorted on the fly. Ryan's role is significant in this recording, as he manipulates the sounds of the other three throughout the proceedings, adding delay here, reverb and pitch modulation there, with a constantly heavy panning. His "solo" statement, a heavily processed duo with Marguet on "Crocus", burns out quickly as all the tricks are let out of the bag. His work on "Tulips" is a bit more like it, but one gets the feeling that there is a bit of Oz in the proceedings. Only Léandre's vocals (as wonderful as ever) a little over halfway through the piece save it from sounding like the well has run dry. Ryan's response is inspired, picking apart the vocals into breath sounds and sibilants, while still giving her enough space to explore. It is the highlight of the disc.

Can't say that I'm interested in pursuing releases on which these "computer based electronics" "musicians" are involved but has anyone ever heard this act done successfully? (Being willfully intolerant.)

He-he, this is my favorite CD of 2004 so far (Fly, Fly, Fly would be second most favorite, perhaps).

Electronic manipulations add additional dimension to the music, making it even more surprising and incredibly more rich. I listened to this disc 3-4 times so far, and will need to listen more - there is a lot to digest. As soon as I do, I will post a review here.

I'm sure this one will come back in the hatOLOGY series some day. I just had a first listen to it a couple of days ago, as well, and wow! I really really like it! Zorn has an acidic alto sound that I love - he's a very able hardbop player for sure (we knew that from the Sonny Clark disc, I suppose), yet he transcends that (and I think in fact any) genre, screeching and squealing and having a good portion of musical fun. Yes, this is ecclecticism, but this is good! Also it's much to the benefit of the music that Lewis plays more of a background role (astonishing he is, nevertheless), as does Frisell, who is quite tasteful (moreso than I'd have expected from the little aural evidence I know - AND like, don't get me wrong, but generally I tend to consider what I know of his work ratehr as "americana" then as "jazz").

ubu

I agree. This is one of the best examples I have heard of Zorn playing "in," while still adding enough "out" flavor to remind you who you are hearing. Wonderful disc!

I don't know a lot by Frisell, but I really like what he adss to this disc.