Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chaney

Just received a press-release from Leo. 8 new releases - all look very interesting. I would particualrly note the Steve Lacy - Joelle Leandre duo "One More Time" (!), recorded just before Lacy left Europe for the US in 2002.

The press release mentions that Lacy perfomed 10 duo concerts with different musicians - hopefully more Lacy duos will be released.

Wow! Lacy and Leandre. Sounds tasty.

What were the other seven new releases?

Don't remember all now - threw the press-release away. There is (you favorite) Lauren Newton with (my favorite) Vladimir Tarasov, Braxton at Yoshi Vol. III, two discs of trio with Mat Maneri (forgot who was there in the trio), Enrico Fazzio band, Schlippenbach/Takase duo (didn't know they are husband and wife) plus some electronics guy (this one is actually very instriguing)... the other two I forgot. Leo website will be updated in a week or so anyway.

Jazzmatazz lists 4 April Leo releases:

Dr. Chadbourne - Honky-Tonk Im Nachtlokal: The History Of The Chadbournes (Leo Records 406) Apr 19

— collection of four different versions of the Chadbournes, recorded in different locations (Pau & Paris in France, London & at Roulette in NYC) from 1996 to 2002; covers of traditional & country tunes, a jazz standard, a classical intro and Rahsaan medley

Frank Gratkowski Project - Loft Exile V - 2 CDs (Leo Records 410/411) Apr 19

— Herb Robertson (trumpet), Wolter Wierbos (trombone), Dieter Manderscheid and Wilbert DeJoode (basses), Gerry Hemingway and Michael Vatcher (drums) and Tobias Delius and Gratkowski (saxophones); project for Gratkowski's 40th birthday in 2003 at the Moers Jazz Festival and The Loft Koeln; 138 minutes

Achim Kaufmann - Knives: Solo Piano (Leo Records 409) Apr 19

Wally Shoup Trio - Blue Purge (Leo 412) Apr 19

— Wally Shoup (alto sax), Reuben Radding (bass) and Bob Rees (drums)

And these for May:

NEW Lauren Newton :wub: /Patrick Scheyder/Vladimir Tarasov - Artesian Spirits (Leo Records 419)

cd-Artesian-Spirits.gif

— Lauren Newton (voice), Patrick Scheyder (piano), Vladimir Tarasov (drums); recorded live in the country of Georgia

NEW Anthony Braxton Ninetet - (Yoshi's) 1997, Vol. 3 (Leo Records 420/421)

— with Brandon Evans, James Fei, Jackson Moore, Andre Vida, J.D. Parran, Kevin O'Neil, Joe Fonda and Kevin Norton

NEW Steve Lacy/Joelle Leandre - One More Time (Leo Records 422)

— one of Steve Lacy's 2002 Paris farewell concerts recorded before his move to back the U.S.

NEW Mark Harvey & the Aardvark Jazz Orchestra - Trumpet Madness (Leo Records 423)

NEW Enrico Fazio 7tet - Live in Milano - Villa Litta (Leo Records 424)

NEW Mark O'Leary/Mat Maneri/Matthew Ship - Chamber Trio (Leo Records 425)

— Mark O'Leary (electric guitar), Mat Maneri (viola), Matthew Ship (piano)

NEW Mark O'Leary/Mat Maneri/Randy Peterson - It (Leo Records 426)

— Mark O'Leary (electric guitar), Mat Maneri (viola), Randy Peterson

NEW Aki Takase/Alex von Schlippenbach/DJ Ilvibe - Lok 03 (Leo Records 427)

— two pianists and DJ

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks like the trio of Lauren Newton / Patrick Scheyder / Vladimir Tarasov has/have recorded at least once before:

Altered Egos (Omba Records) alteredegos.jpg

Recorded on November 10, 1994, at Le Sax, Archeres, France.

Edited by Chaney

Д.Д.: Do you follow what is currently going on in Russian jazz? I am currently based in Moscow for a while, but don't recognize all but a few names. Are there a few new Moscow names that I should be looking out for?

I recently heard Chekasin with the gypsy group Lyoko. It was sublime.

Guest Chaney

I agree. That article was just looking to start a fight.

Very odd read, that Bagatellen thread; two tiny tribes at odds with one another. So unnecessary.

And Jon, why so mean? Someone offers the opinion that your baby is ugly and its life without purpose or meaning and you get all defensive? What's up with that? :P

Just received from indiejazz.com are very interesting disc by

Giorgio Occhihipinti: Hereo Nonetto as well as a sampler of stuff on Cryptogramophone

.Not familiar with this label at all but it's pretty good, impressed by the Eric Von Essen material and Erik Friedlander. any recs from this label ??

I am working on a more or less egalitarian exchange with Chris via email regarding EAI now. I will let you all know what comes of it. I already feel like without the name calling, and Adams and Ulis etc. I can get somewhere with him. But we'll see. Jon I hope you don't mind my representation. But I think I can talk his language.

a sampler of stuff on Cryptogramophone

any recs from this label ??

I have really enjoyed these:

The Nels Cline Singers - Instrumentals

Nels Cline - The Inkling

Alex Cline - Sparks Fly Upwards

Alex Cline Ensemble - The Constant Flame

I'm looking forward to hearing Mark Dresser's Aquifer and the Music of Eric Von Essen discs.

Cryptogramophone is now available for download from emusic, too.

i'll second john b's crypto recs. they're all very good. of course, i'm a big nels cline fan so my opinion is not entirely objective. that said, dresser's aquifer might be the best of all of them.

i have a url/password crypto sent me to a micro-site with access 2-3 discs worth of downloads (sampler-type stuff for the label). i'll see if i can dig it up if anyone's interested.

Guest Chaney

On Crypt..., here's a previuous exchange between David and myself. I'll let David repond on his own.

Tony, I don't know whether you got any of the Cryptogramophone stuff. I listened to Alex Cline's "Sparks Fly Upwards" and it sounds new-agingly boring to me. I also listened to Jeff Gauthier's "The Mask" and it also, while very pretty, seems bland to me. But the Dresser stuff is a killer.

I've downloaded all of the (very generous) Cryptogramophone samples. (NOT a quick task with my dial-up connection.) I'm listening to and moving the samples that I like to a YES folder and the samples that I don't like to a NO folder.

In the NO folder thus far: Erik Friedlander's Quake and The Music of Eric von Essen Volume III.

And YES: Mark Dresser Trio: Aquifer. Wasn't too hot over the samples until I heard "FLBP", then... :o As best as I can tell, some of this has a bit of a 60s Jimmy Giuffre feel to it. :tup

I'm finding it a real necessity to NOT dive right in with this label but to FIRST digest the sound samples. (Unlike, let's say, hatWHATEVER titles, where it's not SHOULD I buy but HOW QUICKLY should I buy before it goes OOP.) The new-ageyness of some of the offerings -- not to mention the rock-n-roll elements of others -- is very scary.

On the other hand, I'm guessing that women (and some men?) who profess to not like jazz might very well like some of the titles offered. The von Essen really isn't too bad if you go for that type of jazz.

ON THE EDIT: After having listened to all of the sound samples, I believe I'll delete those sound samples and the Cryptogramophone bookmark and back out of the virtual room. Some very energetic and sometimes pretty music but, as I'm really not into the new age / fusion / prog-rock / world / jazz thingy, it's best that I not partake. (Can't remember whan I last heard so much electric violin!)

Nice but NO thank you. :rfr

Edited by Chaney

And Jon, why so mean? Someone offers the opinion that your baby is ugly and its life without purpose or meaning and you get all defensive? What's up with that? :P

I know you're joking, but I'm still not quite sure how I got mean. Phil Freeman is the editor of High Society, and his primary background is in metal. I've read tons of his reviews and blog posts, he pretty much revels in the fact that he has a short attention span. all I did was point those things out.

as for Chris, I never said one word about his own music or anything like that, I even offered him a promo CD early in the thread, which he ignored. very strange...

Guest Chaney

Strange indeed.

I'd still like to know which titles Chris had lstened to (once). Not that I'd be falimiar with any of them. Seems only fair to ask and receive a response.

Looks like Joe has now locked the thread.

Please, if you want to call each other names, do it as private messages. Let's not clog up this thread with insults.

Now, back to discussing good music.

I got copies of Evan Parker / Anthony Braxton's Duo (London) 1993 and Evan Parker's Alder Brook yesterday. I haven't had time to listen to either yet, but will do so after giving Ubu's blindfold test disc a nother listen or two, prior to posting my thoughts on them.

What is that? Bagatellen "discussion" (uh, that's the wrong word if no one's "communicating") eding up in the "rat"?

Haven't had time to follow all those links, sorry!

Now spinning some Schlippenbach in trio with Evan Parker and Lytton. Good stuff! I do like that Parker man quite some (even though besides the Birds/Blades set and the as-of-yet unheard "2 x 3 = 5" Leo disc I have no official releases of his so far).

Now spinning some Schlippenbach in trio with Evan Parker and Lytton. Good stuff! I do like that Parker man quite some (even though besides the Birds/Blades set and the as-of-yet unheard "2 x 3 = 5" Leo disc I have no official releases of his so far).

Don't bother with all of the links. It's really not worth your time.

I really enjoy 2 X 3 = 5. I don't have much Parker in my collection. Off the top of my head Monoceros and The Snake Decides (both excellent solo discs) and Dark Rags, with Keith Rowe are all I own. I'm looking forward to exploring more of his work.

I still need to get some Derek Bailey. I still have never heard anything by him, as far as I know.

Don't bother with all of the links. It's really not worth your time.

I really enjoy 2 X 3 = 5. I don't have much Parker in my collection. Off the top of my head Monoceros and The Snake Decides (both excellent solo discs) and Dark Rags, with Keith Rowe are all I own. I'm looking forward to exploring more of his work.

I still need to get some Derek Bailey. I still have never heard anything by him, as far as I know.

Thanks, and thanks for stepping in with the "cut-the-crap"-message, too (I only saw that one after my last post, you posted while I was typing my own message).

That Parker-Schlipp-Lytton is quite intense, Lytton is beating up his traps quite some! And Parker on tenor is, as far as I can tell, much cliché-freer than on soprano (with the circular-breathing thing he's got going on).

Will try and check out the Leo soon!

Also I guess I ought to get his Birthday Leo 2CD set, yes?

Guest Chaney

have you all seen jon abbey's sale list?  some very interesting discs.  have any of you heard this one:  Gianni Gebbia-H Portraits (Rastascan)?

I have it but haven't listened to in in quite some time. I remember it as not being up to the standard of Gebbia's Arcana Major disk but that should not surprise.

I'll have another listen tonight and see (and post) if it's one I'd recommend.