Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Today actually I was listening to disc 3 from the 4-CD Braxton's "Six compositions (GTM) 2001" set (on Rastascan/Limited Sedition/Barely Auditable).

I have this set since the day it was released (it costed like $15 at CDUniverse, iirc), and never managed to go through the whole damn thing. The first two discs are occupied by a mammoth composition for a large band that would invariably drive me to despair after 15 minutes, so I think never even got to disc 3. And well, it turned out to be really good! It is for a much smaller band (Braxton-Rosenberg-Shiurba-Sperry-Robair), and past the zombie GTM themes (farly short here) the improvisations are excellent.

I still can't get through the first two discs, but I agree with you, disc 3 is excellent, and disc 4 has some interesting moments too

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today actually I was listening to disc 3 from the 4-CD Braxton's "Six compositions (GTM) 2001" set (on Rastascan/Limited Sedition/Barely Auditable).

I have this set since the day it was released (it costed like $15 at CDUniverse, iirc), and never managed to go through the whole damn thing. The first two discs are occupied by a mammoth composition for a large band that would invariably drive me to despair after 15 minutes, so I think never even got to disc 3. And well, it turned out to be really good! It is for a much smaller band (Braxton-Rosenberg-Shiurba-Sperry-Robair), and past the zombie GTM themes (farly short here) the improvisations are excellent.

I still can't get through the first two discs, but I agree with you, disc 3 is excellent, and disc 4 has some interesting moments too

I'm another fan of the set, especially the third disc.

I am going to get more Braxton's GTM, and will go for Four compositions (GTM) 2000 on Delmark: http://delmark.com/delmark.544.htm. This is small group (quartet) and I have been enormously impressed by pianist's Kevin Uehlinger's CD (Alchemusic (Vol. 1) on newsonic), so I am interested to hear his cotribution to Braxton's music.

I am going to get more Braxton's GTM, and will go for Four compositions (GTM) 2000 on Delmark: http://delmark.com/delmark.544.htm. This is small group (quartet) and I have been enormously impressed by pianist's Kevin Uehlinger's CD (Alchemusic (Vol. 1) on newsonic), so I am interested to hear his cotribution to Braxton's music.

I think you will like it - these are varied and short, within the realm of GTM, pieces and don't stifle the flow of the music or individual contributions thereto.

c598039ea48.jpg

Just spotted (and ordered) this one for a reasonable price on Amazon. I've been looking for it for ages - it's way, way out of print. The seller appears to have multiple copies. I figured others here might also be looking for it.

Dudu Pukwana - In The Townships

The band is Dudu Pukwana (alto), Mongezi Feza (trumpet), Harry Miller (bass) and Louis Moholo (drums).

AMG Review

So has anyone picked up the solo CD-R?

I have only his solo on Parallactic, released a couple of years back. Haven't spent much time with it yet. It is here in the "to listen-to" pile - but so far it's been pushed back by this little sucker:

B00004Z4YL.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Parallactic...pisses me off every time I hear mention of the label. When that Simmons solo disc came out I ordered it, the Braxton solo disc and a couple others from Brandon Evans. I paid. He never sent the discs.

Funny, I was in a used CD shop yesterday in Chicago and had that Fela disc in my hand but didn't pull the trigger - bought a remastered copy of Eno's Music For Aiports instead.

How is it? Should I go back for it on my next trip?

Yeah, I remember also waiting for these Parallactic releases forever, and having a bit of a heated correspondence with Brandon Evans (who used to run the label). Brandon finally got into arrnagement with DMG and they supplied all those who paid for the discs (and who were anal enough to keep reminding Brandon about it) with copies. This was five months or so after the prepayment.

----------------

This Fela is excellent! This is a live recording, really raw and in-your-face and Baker is providign some kick-ass heavy drumming. If you are a Fela fan already, you cannot go wrong with this one.

My favorite one is Zombie, though.

----------------

And thanks for the Pukwana hint - I just ordered a copy from amazon. Not sure this will work - it still shows the copy available, although I, I, I just ordered it!!!!

Edited by Д.Д.

And thanks for the Pukwana hint - I just ordered a copy from amazon. Not sure this will work - it still shows the copy available, although I, I, I just ordered it!!!!

I ordered mine a couple of days ago. Like you, the listing stayed active so I assumed they seller had multiple copies. Amazon just charged my account - I take that as a sign the disc has been shipped. Never had any past problems with Amazon sellers.

Yeah, I remember also waiting for these Parallactic releases forever, and having a bit of a heated correspondence with Brandon Evans (who used to run the label). Brandon finally got into arrnagement with DMG and they supplied all those who paid for the discs (and who were anal enough to keep reminding Brandon about it) with copies. This was five months or so after the prepayment.

Sounds like we had the same experience with Brandon Evans. Brandon also told me he was going to submit my name to DMG to have them send the discs but they never arrived. DMG told me Brandon didn't give them my name/address. And I never heard back from Brandon after that.

That's the one and only time I've ever been burned on a music purchase.

Good luck with the Pukwana disc. I'd love to buy a copy for myself, but there is no way that seller will be supplying either of you with an actual copy. That is the worst seller feedback rating I think I have ever seen on either Amazon or Ebay. 31% negative, 6% neutral, and many comments that he lists items he does not have in stock.

The Fela / Ginger Baker disc is fine, but not one of the first discs you should start with for Fela. Start with any of his 1970's discs from Open & Close through Zombie and enjoy them first. If the Ginger Baker disc is inexpensive grab it. You won't be sorry. Just keep in mind it is not the best Fela by any stretch.

Good luck with the Pukwana disc. I'd love to buy a copy for myself, but there is no way that seller will be supplying either of you with an actual copy. That is the worst seller feedback rating I think I have ever seen on either Amazon or Ebay. 31% negative, 6% neutral, and many comments that he lists items he does not have in stock.

Hmmm...interesting. He was listed as a "new seller" when I bought - no feedback. Looking at the feedback now (all recent), I'd say you are most likely right. We'll see. If it goes bad I'm not worried about getting a refund from Amazon. Sure do want that disc though.

The Fela / Ginger Baker disc is fine, but not one of the first discs you should start with for Fela. Start with any of his 1970's discs from Open & Close through Zombie and enjoy them first. If the Ginger Baker disc is inexpensive grab it. You won't be sorry. Just keep in mind it is not the best Fela by any stretch.

I've had a copy of the Pukwana CD for some time now (purchased for a very, very reasonable price at the local Amoeba). Last time I checked, they were selling new copies somewhere on Amazon... I guess they ran out. Sort of afropop/SA jazz--somewhat surprising on the first listen (catchy in the vein of a Clash album, I'd say), but it's become one of my favorites. Pukwana is in my pantheon.

I started on Fela with the Fela/Ginger disc--and I wholeheartedly agree. A fine, groovy cut, but hardly the most outstanding date in the FK catalogue... it smacks of fun, but the soul/brutality just ain't the same. My favorite Ginger groove cut is Stratavarious (reissued on the "Do What You Like" twofer, if I'm not mistaken)--heavy, mysterious, noirish afrobeat (and Fela's on it, too).

I'm listening to Arthur Doyle's "The Songwriter" for the first time today--just thought someone here might appreciate that.

Hmmm...interesting. He was listed as a "new seller" when I bought - no feedback. Looking at the feedback now (all recent), I'd say you are most likely right. We'll see. If it goes bad I'm not worried about getting a refund from Amazon. Sure do want that disc though.

Yeah, I guess my chances of getting this CD from this amazon.com seller are remote.

But now I got into a hunting rash, so I placed an order for it at amazon.co.uk that is known to be quite a fuck-up when it comes to accuracy of its listings (and quality of delivery, as some of us here could confirm). But I did get Evan Parker's Monoceros from them, when it was already way OOP. So we'll see.

Edited by Д.Д.

From the Tzadik website...

Joseph Holbrooke Trio : The Moat Recordings

Released Mar 2006

cd 1 time - 68:36

cd 2 time - 72:54

US Price $25.00

Tzadik is proud to present a legendary reunion of 'Joseph Holbrooke' comprised of three master musicians - Derek Bailey, Gavin Bryars, and Tony Oxley - from the first generation of British improvisers. Originally produced by Gary Todd in 1999, the release of this exciting and historic music was delayed for years under tragic circumstances. These are the first and only studio recordings by this all-star trio whose brief existence in the mid Sixties has been a whispered rumor for decades. Produced in cooperation with the Cortical Foundation, this is astonishing, revelatory musical communication of the highest order.

This release slipped my radar. Does anyone have it? Opinions?

Guest Chaney

Helluva band.

Anyone?

vampiresRevenge.jpg

THE VAMPIRE'S REVENGE: CDM Records is proud to annouced that March 6th, 2006 will be the release date for Dom Minasi's new double disc CD The Vampire's Revenge, which features Dom Minasi on 6 & 12 string guitars, Ken Filiano onbass/electronics, Jackson Krall on drums, and these special guest artists: Perry Robinson-clarinet, Joe Giardullo-soprano sax, Jason Kao Hwang-violin, Tomas Ulrich-cello, Joe McPhee- tenor sax, Sabir Mateen- tenor sax, John Gunther-reeds, Ras Moshe-reeds, Blaise Siwula-alto sax, Mark Whitecage-alto sax, Paul Smoker-flugelhorn, Herb Robertson-trumpet, Steve Swell-trombone, Francois Grillot-bass 2, Borah Bergman-piano, Matthew Shipp-piano, Carol Mennie-voice, Peter Ratray- recitative and Byron Olson-conductor.

CD Baby for sound samples; Squidco to buy.

I really love that Joseph Holbrooke reunion album on Incus, so I suspect the Cortical Foundation sessions will be really fine.

I have the Minasi; listened to the first few tracks, didn't get much out of them & flipped it off when his wife started singing, but, given the very tasty lineup, I should give it another try I suppose. I keep wanting to like Minasi, because he's got a really interesting personal story (the weird sojourn at Blue Note in the 1970s &c), but so far just haven't connected with the music.

Guest akanalog

i know the black saint/soul note talk is over, but let me say, as someone who is not really a fan of much cecil taylor i have heard past the blue note dates, that "winged serpents/sliding quadrants" or whatever it is called, from about 1984, is a very excellent cecil taylor album. interesting selection of bandmates including enrico rava and tom stanko on trumpets and frank wright and johnny tchicai as two of the sax players (i think gunter hampel might also be on there). most of the music actually has themes you can latch on to, at least for a little while, and the two drummers, who are both unknowns to me, bash nicely and even hint at rock rhythms at times (at least for a little while). i wonder if this album is considered too commercial sounding for true taylor fans, though....

i know the black saint/soul note talk is over, but let me say, as someone who is not really a fan of much cecil taylor i have heard past the blue note dates, that "winged serpents/sliding quadrants" or whatever it is called, from about 1984, is a very excellent cecil taylor album.

I don't have this one, but if you want more tame Cecil, go for For Olim, also on Black Saint / Soul Note - this is a solo disc, and a rather atypical one for Cecil - relatively short pieces, quite lyrical, a lot of striaght melodies. Beautiful piano sound as well.

This is one thing I was thinking of, although not sure where that Miles' Mode is!

I have this one. It's an EP, just 10 minutes long and a rehearsal piece. I haven't listened to it in a while but I recall it being rather straight ahead to begin with. And that the improvisations that follow pretty much leave the context of Miles' Mode in the dust...exactly what you would expect from these guys.