Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Have you heard the William Parker disc on Ayler? That one very well might be my favorite disc of his as a leader. Other times I'll choose Bob's Pink Cadillac also on Eremite, by his clarinet trio.

Sure, I have it and it's fantastic - but I rather attribute it to excellent playing of the saxophone guy (forgot the name) and Hamid Drake.

I've heard a lot of nice things of "Pink Cadillac" - I'll check it out!

Regarding Dennis Charles, I really enjoyed his duo disc with Billy Bang on hatOLOGY called Bangception. I have 6-7 CDs with Bang, all good, but this one contains probably his best playing I've heard.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Д.Д., I love that Bangception disc! The best Charles I heard - I'm not such a big fan of his work on the early Cecil Taylor records, and was never that much interested in his work thus. I found that disc used for almost nothing, and loved it ever since.

Anybody here had a listen to the Steamboat thing, by the way?

I finally came around and started with my Lyons box (well, disc one only, so far, and the first half of disc two) - it's BAAD! It really blew me! Very personal music, singular, very swinging, grooving. Beautiful! Much better than I expected (I have so far heard Lyons only on Taylor records).

ubu

My favorie Bang so far is Vietnam, the Aftermath, but I haven't heard very much of his work. I am a huge fan of that disc, however.

I believe the sax players name is Anders Gahnold (sp?) I don't think I have ever heard him on any other discs.

Some days I think Hamid Drake could salvage a Kenny G disc...he is that good. His albums as a leader / co-leader have all been phenomenal.

Д.Д., I love that Bangception disc! The best Charles I heard - I'm not such a big fan of his work on the early Cecil Taylor records, and was never that much interested in his work thus. I found that disc used for almost nothing, and loved it ever since.

Anybody here had a listen to the Steamboat thing, by the way?

I finally came around and started with my Lyons box (well, disc one only, so far, and the first half of disc two) - it's BAAD! It really blew me! Very personal music, singular, very swinging, grooving. Beautiful! Much better than I expected (I have so far heard Lyons only on Taylor records).

ubu

I haven't received the Steamboat disc yet, but will post my thoughts when I do.

Have any of you heard Denis Charles' album on Eremite: Captain of the Deep? It is out of print now, but I know that it is on schedule to be reprinted in the next few months. I am looking forward to picking up a copy as soon as possible.

I am also starting in on the Lyons box set today. I brought disc one into work and will be playing it fairly soon.

ubu - I listened to both Steamboat and Ortega - quite attentively, so I can share my thoughts.

Frankly, I was not particularly impressed by neither of them. Steamboat sounds to me like a soundtrack to a cheap horror movie without much happening. Man, if you like this you really should check out some good heavy metal and/or noise and/or drone music - it will have everything that Steamboat tries to achieve (at least as I see it) without success. I'll send you some CD-Rs.

Ortega was a huge disappointment compared to Scattered Clouds (hatOLOGY). First of all, it sounds VERY much like Charles Lloyd on the latest ECMs (with an American band), but without Lloyd's melodies and without good sidemen. Compositions sound to me very formulaic (particularly the ones written by Ortega's wife) - as if they are written according to some "Jazz composition for dummies" book, and extremely boring (I was more or less OK only with one composition - the one before last, I think it's by Ortega himself). Sidemen are blandissimo (I think bassist is trying some sort of an OK solo somewhere), with piano being particularly annoying - 0 thinking, jut going through the motions. Ortega's playing is very very safe - no hint at any search or explaration (you get a lot of this in Scattered Clouds - sometimes it works, sometimes it does not - but it is music where musicians stretch themselves - while here it is dumbingly comfortable). His sound is nice, but as I mentioned a lot Lloyd-like (even though he plays alto), to a degree of intentioanl imitation, I would say. Overall, I get a feeling that the band was playing in a restaurant and asked by the owner to play in way that the customers are by no means disturbed. Ubu, believe me, Ortega is really capable of much more.

I hope you don't mind me being blunt about the music - I guess that this is what we are expecting here: an open dialogue about music. I am looking forward to hearing about your impressions of Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar. But, it really requires several listens before it starts being absorbed. And the third disc is the best one, so don't even think of posting your impressions before listening to all of them ;)!

Д.Д., no problem with honest reactions! I share your view of the Ortega disc pretty much (though I still have only listened to it once and as background music only, so far). I guess I like the Waldron tune best. Nice sounds there, with addition of bass clarinet.

About Steamboat, well, you know I never have been partial to heavy or whatever metal music - I'll gladly accept some CDrs this time. I think Steamboat is successful (artistically) in what they are trying to achieve, however, I don't have that other background you do have. I gotta dig up that other Steamboat aircheck I have and listen to that again, too.

(With couw's fantastic cover, however, this is almost a "coffee-table-CD", no?)

I have not come farther than the first of the Zappa discs, so I'll gladly shut up for now.

Of that Data stuff, this one looks good: http://www.datarecords.nl/data012.html

Anyone knows it? Rudd...

By the way, anyone knows if there is a Kurt Weill record by the Breuker Kollektief? I saw a documentary movie on Weill which was pretty interesting (and chock-full of his wonderful music). The Breuker crowd was one of around ten contemporary artists featured with their interpretations of Weill music.

(I took part in a small orchestra accompanying a production of the "Three Penny Opera" in november, and - although those who did sing/act were not always beyond doubt, the music certainly was.)

And there's that Mike Zwerin Sextet of the Orchestra USA disc featuring arrangements of some Weill tunes and Eric Dolphy on half of it. Strange record, but I seem to like it better all the time.

I have One Great Day - and it's very good indeed!

ubu

One Great Day is excellent, although I atill would probably rate Kulak higher.

For Weil, I like his music. I have this Zwerin disc and I think it's very interesting. I also have two more good discs of Weil music:

Music From the Threepenny Opera (Polygram) by Joachim Kühn trio (with Humair and Jenny-Clark): AMG review

Tethered Moon play Kurt Weil (JMT) by Masabumi Kikuchi trio (with Peacock and Motian): AMG review

The latter one is OOP, but will probably be eventually reiussued on Winter & Winter.

Tony, "Pigs" are excellent (and beautifully recorded and packaged). I'll listen to the disc again and will elaborate later.

Edited by Д.Д.

By the way, anyone knows if there is a Kurt Weill record by the Breuker Kollektief? I saw a documentary movie on Weill which was pretty interesting (and chock-full of his wonderful music). The Breuker crowd was one of around ten contemporary artists featured with their interpretations of Weill music.

there's a compilation album out there: AMG link

I don't have this one but do have some Weill pieces by Breuker scattered on various disks.

Thanks for the Weill recommendations. I gotta check out some of this stuff.

All JMT titles will be reissued by W&W - I recently saw their current catalogue. They're going by batches of 9, I think (it's 81 discs, if I remember right).

I also gotta check out other Weill interpretations (classic ones, Lenya - I think there was some discs collecting recordings of her, but I have not seen them a while, and also some more contemporary stuff, rock or whatever artists - one of the highlights of that movie was Blixa Bargeld singing to an old scratchy 78" LP).

Re. Eskelin: I have Kulak, too. Gotta listen again, it's been some time.

I don't have the other OOP disc, "Five Other Pieces (+2)" - worth hunting down?

What are the opinions on his Gene Ammons tribute, by the way? I had the CD once from a library, and got an aircheck of their Willisau concert in 1997. I think Ribot's in great form (moreso on the live recording than on the studio album), and Wollesen is quite a good drummer, too.

ubu

My favorie Bang so far is Vietnam, the Aftermath, but I haven't heard very much of his work. I am a huge fan of that disc, however.

I believe the sax players name is Anders Gahnold (sp?) I don't think I have ever heard him on any other discs.

Some days I think Hamid Drake could salvage a Kenny G disc...he is that good. His albums as a leader / co-leader have all been phenomenal.

I love Vietnam the Aftermath also , theres a couple of tracks with Frank Lowe on which i really enjoy.

The latest Ellery Eskelin 'Arcanum Moderne' is my favourite release of 2003 , I love the track 'For no good reason'.

I don't have the other OOP disc, "Five Other Pieces (+2)" - worth hunting down?

Yes, if only for the version of the McLaughlin piece! You might get it at www.discplus.ch (I was impressed by their sevices) or Eskelin himself.

discplus was not able to supply this disc when I placed an order recently.

I received the Steamboat disc last night and will be listening to it at work today.

Edited by John B

What's the word on the Peter Brotzmann catalogue and CD 'The Inexplicable Flyswatter' from his Chicago School Art Institute exhibition? Have a sealed copy of it on hold and just want to make sure this is a Must Have acquisition.

Any opinions?

This is a book of Brötzmann's paintings with a bonus CD with just 12 minutes of music (the earliest Brötzmann on record) and a videos from the early 60s.

I haven't heard it (haven't seen it), but somehow I doubt thisis the most essential Brötzmann recording out there. If you are starting with Brötzmann, I would recommend:

Little Birds Have Fast Hearts (FMP)

Live at Nefertiti (Ayler)

Edited by Д.Д.

Thanks for the reply. Will have to consider if I can have the damn thing unsealed.

FYI am not really a latebloomer on Brotzmann. Heard him at what was probably one of his first concert appearances at the jazz festival in Comblain, Belgium, in the glorious summer of 1966. Brotzmann showed up on stage with Peter Kowald on bass and Han Bennink on drums. Amazing trio. Unfortunately my attention on Brotzmann got sidetracked by other interests and activities. Catching up on him nowadays.

Edited by brownie