Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone knows the Music & Arts duo CD by Jarman/Crispell? I think I could still pick it up for a good price, but have bought so much stuff now (and still not all x-mas presents...) and thus need some :tup

The steamboats are on their way. I hope at least our dear russian friend receives his in time for x-mas, maybe the europeans, too, but I guess John B, Geoff and Chaney will have to be patient...

(Where's Hans, btw? Hope nothing bad happened! I would have another copy for him, of course...)

ubu

Bought some more records from the cheap record shop. Some Jazz some Classical.

Hamid Drake and Joe Mcphee - Emancipation Proclamation: A Real Statement of Freedom (on Okka Disk)

Evan Parker/Cecil Taylor/Barry Guy/Tony Oxley - Nailed (on FMP)

Irene Schweizer & Pierre Favre - Duet (on Intakt)

Frederic Rzewski - The People United Will Never Be Defeated (on New Albion)

Ruth Crawford/Johanna Beyer - 9 Preludes etc (on New Albion

Leo Cuypers' "Heavy Days Are Here Agian". With Bennink and Breuker. On Unheard Music Series. Amazing stuff. A lot of healthy Dutch humor (btw, Hans, stop hiding). Available for $13 from Atavistic

I bought this Leo Cuyper's album second hand on the cheap. In fact with my budget, I can only afford cds that are on sale, I rarely buy my cds at full price. I quite like the album, although I wouldn't say it was terrific. Just quite good.

Anyone knows the Music & Arts duo CD by Jarman/Crispell? I think I could still pick it up for a good price, but have bought so much stuff now (and still not all x-mas presents...) and thus need some :tup

Crispell/Jarman duo is excellent. Lyrical and bluesy. Get it!

John, I'll listen to VAO one more time and elaborate. On the first (not very attentive) listen it sounded mechanistic and over-arranged.

Bought some more records from the cheap record shop. Some Jazz some Classical.

Hamid Drake and Joe Mcphee - Emancipation Proclamation: A Real Statement of Freedom (on Okka Disk)

Evan Parker/Cecil Taylor/Barry Guy/Tony Oxley - Nailed (on FMP)

Irene Schweizer & Pierre Favre - Duet (on Intakt)

Ruth Crawford/Johanna Beyer - 9 Preludes etc (on New Albion

Geoff, these look like excellent buys. I have "Nailed" and it's one of the best Evan Parker tenor playing've I heard. I don't think it's the best Cecil out there, but Parker is... wheeew.

Anyone knows the Music & Arts duo CD by Jarman/Crispell? I think I could still pick it up for a good price, but have bought so much stuff now (and still not all x-mas presents...) and thus need some  :tup

Crispell/Jarman duo is excellent. Lyrical and bluesy. Get it!

John, I'll listen to VAO one more time and elaborate. On the first (not very attentive) listen it sounded mechanistic and over-arranged.

Thanks, I'll look for it this evening, hope it's still around!

Hey, I'd be interested in hearing more of your opinion on the VAO, too!

"Mechanical" I do think it is, but that's Satie to blame. Rüegg tries to stay in tune/in mood with the compositions, I think.

How do you like the soloists? I'm thinking particularly of Roman Schwaller and Wolfgang Puschnig. (One of my favorite VAO moments is Puschnig playing the Donau waltz as an encore of the All That Strauss programme - I love it! Is that on the CD, too? I have it recorded from radio, so did not get the CD)

ubu

How's that? I always wanted to get this! Is this OOP or not? What recordings do exist? Are there several?

Hell, as we are discussing Satie here, and you list such stuff, why not add some minimal music recommendations? Anyone has some particular favorites?

Any one heard Rzewski's "Moutons du.." (shit, what's it called again?)

Another piece I love is the Reich Marimba one - five, I guess it is.

ubu

edited (only wanted to have the Rzewski in the quote)

Edited by king ubu

How's that? I always wanted to get this! Is this OOP or not? What recordings do exist? Are there several?

Hell, as we are discussing Satie here, and you list such stuff, why not add some minimal music recommendations? Anyone has some particular favorites?

Any one heard Rzewski's "Moutons du.." (shit, what's it called again?)

Another piece I love is the Reich Marimba one - five, I guess it is.

ubu

edited (only wanted to have the Rzewski in the quote)

There are several versions of Rzewski's The People United Will Never Be Defeated (at least 5)

I have heard around 3 versions, one on New Albion (pianist Stephen Drury), one on Hyperion (pianist Marc-André Hamelin) and one on OODISCS (a japanese label, with a japanese pianist Yuji Takahashi).

Out of all of them, I favour the Japanese recording.

When I was 19 my jazz collection consisted of one CD: "The Best of Sade".

You know, there is one big fan of Sade (well, at least her looks) around here (not me, though). (Oh, I sure don't think she looks bad or something...)

I started buying jazz whilst at highschool, around 16 or 17 years old, and I stopped counting my CDs a year or two ago. It's in the four digit range, much more than 1000, but I really don't know it more exactly... and I'm NOT A COLLECTOR - maybe that I am an addict or a freak or whatever though <_<

Geoff, thanks for the Rzewski recommendations. I'll look for a recording as soon as I can afford.

Terry Riley anyone?

ubu

When I was 19 my jazz collection consisted of one CD: "The Best of Sade".

You know, there is one big fan of Sade (well, at least her looks) around here (not me, though). (Oh, I sure don't think she looks bad or something...)

I started buying jazz whilst at highschool, around 16 or 17 years old, and I stopped counting my CDs a year or two ago. It's in the four digit range, much more than 1000, but I really don't know it more exactly... and I'm NOT A COLLECTOR - maybe that I am an addict or a freak or whatever though <_<

Geoff, thanks for the Rzewski recommendations. I'll look for a recording as soon as I can afford.

Terry Riley anyone?

ubu

I like Terry Riley a whole lot King Ubu.

My favourite Riley is 'Music for the Gift',

which features tape experiments with delay with portions of the Chet Baker Quartet playing Miles Davis' So What.

This is amazing stuff.

Really interesting.

does anyone use instant messanger programs like MSN/AIM in this thread.

It is often an easier form of communication than the message forum.

I also have no idea how many CDs I have, but I will count as soon as I have a normal CD rack (so far everything is in the boxes).

I actually really like Sade's music - particularly the early albums. There was a saxophone player in the band who would do these 15 second solos that would be always meaningful and clever - I think this is quite amazing.

Regarding Terry Riley, I'll look through my collection - I remember I have some good RIley stuff, just don't remember what exactly and who perfoms it ;).

Geoff, regarding the instant messaging - we are quite rare on-line at the same time, and the advantage of the board is that all the stuff we are talking about is saved.

Edited by Д.Д.

I also have no idea how many CDs I have, but I will count as soon as I have a normal CD rack (so far everything is in the boxes).

I actually really like Sade's music - particularly the early albums. There was a saxophone player in the band who would do these 15 second solos that would be always meaningful and clever - I think this is quite amazing.

Regarding Terry Riley, I'll look through my collection - I remember I have some good RIley stuff, just don't remember what exactly and who perfoms it ;).

Geoff, regarding the instant messaging - we are quite rare on-line at the same time, and the advantage of the board is that all the stuff we are talking about is saved.

yeah I guess that is true.

I guess I'll just have to beg you to send some copies (via post) of those great out of print jazz albums you own.

hehe.

an mp3 CD can contain upwards of 10 hours of music, meaning you can put around 10 albums one cd.

Kenny Wheller,

the photo was actually taken by me.

I didn't use flash, (as I don't like disturbing musicians when they perform).

So forgive the poor quality of the photo taking, mostly due to my terrible digital camera (only 1.3 megapixels) and the bad lighting at the Vortex Jazz Bar London.

Edited by Geoff

Hey we are almost all online together right now! Shouldn't we do a little celebration?

celebration.jpg

(well, let's hope the free jazz police doesn't find us!)

Geoff, I don't have any CD-burn facilities, and use very slow (phone) online connections usually, so MP3 is no possibility.

(but if you like to check out some, there's some good stuff on Andrew Hill's homepage, and much music on Greg Osby's - I let a friend of mine burn CDs of that stuff for me - the one who handled the Steamboats...)

I have heard some Riley with saxophone quartet, him playing piano. Some composed things, some improvised. Beautiful music!

Д.Д., you're right about that saxophone player - I only have one CD of Sade though, and don't think I need any more of them. It's been six or seven years since I played that one last.

ubu

Kenny Wheller,

the photo was actually taken by me.

I didn't use flash, (as I don't like disturbing musicians when they perform).

So forgive the poor quality of the photo taking, mostly due to my terrible digital camera (only 1.3 megapixels) and the bad lighting at the Vortex Jazz Bar London.

cool pic, Geoff! (It's Wheeler, though)

Have never heard him perform live. Would like to, of course!

ubu