Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I've been listening to Giacinto Scelsi:  Les cinq Quators a Cordes / Trio a Cordes / Khoom -- Quator Arditti on Salabert Actuels / Harmonia Mundi France.  (Basically, the five string quartets as performed by the Arditti String Quartet; a trio piece; and Khoom, for soprano and six instruments.)

Can anyone comment on Scelsi and/or the rather extensive offerings on Mode?

I have a HatHut Scelsi disc - still sealed. Good pretext to listen to it over the weekend.

Edited by Д.Д.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chaney

I've been listening to Giacinto Scelsi:  Les cinq Quators a Cordes / Trio a Cordes / Khoom -- Quator Arditti on Salabert Actuels / Harmonia Mundi France.  (Basically, the five string quartets as performed by the Arditti String Quartet; a trio piece; and Khoom, for soprano and six instruments.)

I have a bunch of Scelsi, but it's been a few years since I've heard them. I'll have to dig them out and give them a spin.

I've had this one for quite a few years and never really was able to either like or appreciate it. My ears were much less attuned to this type of music until I started listening to all things Funny Rat. Now, it comes so much easier. (Not to say that the Scelsi is easy listening.)

I have a bunch of Scelsi, but it's been a few years since I've heard them. I'll have to dig them out and give them a spin.

I've had this one for quite a few years and never really was able to either like or appreciate it. My ears were much less attuned to this type of music until I started listening to all things Funny Rat. Now, it comes so much easier. (Not to say that the Scelsi is easy listening.)

I guess all these Cold Blue CDs I sent you had an enlightening effect on you. Wait till you get to hear Yanni discs in the new package coming your way - this will broaden your horizons.

That's funny. I almost visited the Leo site yesterday wondering if there'd be anything new but thought, No, Leo just released a bunch of disks.

They're really coming fast and furious, eh?

I assume that in addition to Leo's unmitigated enthusiasm and total commitment, this is also the result of Leo's "cost sharing" approach (i.e. the cost of release is shared with an artist) - this way he can release (in meaningful quantities) more than any other creative music label I can think of (I counted 34 releases in 2004!).

Guest Chaney

I guess all these Cold Blue CDs I sent you had an enlightening effect on you. Wait till you get to hear Yanni discs in the new package coming your way - this will broaden your horizons.

Cold Blue is a VERY apt title for this label.

Cold Blue is a VERY apt title for this label.

I think it would shock the "not" rat folks if they knew what Cold Blue sounded like and it was discussed here. :g

Guest Chaney

I think it would shock the "not" rat folks if they knew what Cold Blue sounded like and it was discussed here.  :g

Has it been mentioned that a certain Rat has purchased the entire Cold Blue catalog? (I'm sure it has. Just wanted to mention it again.)

:w

I think it would shock the "not" rat folks if they knew what Cold Blue sounded like and it was discussed here.  :g

Has it been mentioned that a certain Rat has purchased the entire Cold Blue catalog? (I'm sure it has. Just wanted to mention it again.)

But he's a Rat, not a "not" rat.

I have one Cold Blue disc by Chas Smith. I listened to it once & don't remember a thing about it.

Incidentally, just finished a piece on Scott Rosenberg, Jim Baker, Anton Hatwich & Tim Daisy's New Folk, New Blues on 482 Music. Anyone heard this one? I liked it a lot. Plenty of vim 'n' vigour but also a spry sense of humour--Baker epigrammatic (little blibs & blaps at the analogue synth, as well as piano plus an interlude for aluminum foil), Rosenberg in outlandish, gargoyle mode, & Daisy & Hatwich making some powerful almost-grooves (well actually there's a swinging freebop section on the 3rd track). Nice stuff.

:rhappy:

Incidentally, just finished a piece on Scott Rosenberg, Jim Baker, Anton Hatwich & Tim Daisy's New Folk, New Blues on 482 Music. Anyone heard this one? I liked it a lot. Plenty of vim 'n' vigour but also a spry sense of humour--Baker epigrammatic (little blibs & blaps at the analogue synth, as well as piano plus an interlude for aluminum foil), Rosenberg in outlandish, gargoyle mode, & Daisy & Hatwich making some powerful almost-grooves (well actually there's a swinging freebop section on the 3rd track). Nice stuff.

I am getting this one with my next indiejazz order.

ErstLive005 is a three disc set, running almost four hours in length, featuring Keith Rowe / Sachiko M / Toshimaru Nakamura / Otomo Yoshihide.  I like the album so far, but it is hard to get a handle on in its entirety.

my guess is that it probably needs about twenty quality listens to really get a grip on it, a number I'm not near yet myself. at 230 minutes a pop, that's over 3 full days, a pretty serious commitment. same thing with the musicians, I know that Otomo, Keith and Toshi are still listening to it a lot, and love how ungraspable it is.

I'm curious to see how the master digester, Nate D., does with this behemoth.

wtf is "cold blue"? some hard rock double delta label?

From the Enjas, the Minafra looks nice. Biondini is good, but I have no idea who that sax player is.

I gave the Sugimoto/Krebs and the Beins a thought, too! Tell me how they are once you get them, John!

Does one get any other mail from the fellas, or just the PayPal one? I have only gotten the PayPal message that I sent the money, not heard anything else.

ubu

Guest Chaney

I have one Cold Blue disc by Chas Smith.  I listened to it once & don't remember a thing about it.

(...)

Did you at least awake refreshed?

biglaugh.gif

Cold Blue

I have one Cold Blue disc by Chas Smith.  I listened to it once & don't remember a thing about it.

(...)

biglaugh.gif

Cold Blue

I googled and found it myself. Obviously no metal, but what IS it? Mood music? Bubbling electronica? Those write ups sound quite new-agey, and I don't know any of the artists involved, so... please enlighten me!

(...)

biglaugh.gif

Cold Blue

I googled and found it myself. Obviously no metal, but what IS it? Mood music? Bubbling electronica? Those write ups sound quite new-agey, and I don't know any of the artists involved, so... please enlighten me!

No comment

:rmad:

(...)

biglaugh.gif

Cold Blue

Post classical minimalism, not jazz. Think of it as acoustic Eno.

Guest Chaney

Cold Blue isn't what David and I thought it would be: spikey, violent, creative "late-20th century classical"... you get the idea.

7/4 describes it well.

Not unpleasant. Just not very memorable.

Edited by Chaney

(...)

biglaugh.gif

Cold Blue

Post classical minimalism, not jazz. Think of it as acoustic Eno.

Tony described it as new age (puking icon here).

I am already enquiring in the office if anybody enjoys new age music - I feel I will have a few of discs available for presents (puking new age icon here).

Guest Chaney

Looks like Clean Feed will be very busy over the next few months. Their site's been out of action for the past several weeks but I've just learned that it should be up and running in a week or so.

From Jazzmatazz:

May 10

James Finn Trio - Plaza de Toros (Clean Feed 034)

— James Finn: tenor saxophone, Dominic Duval: double bass, Warren Smith: drums; notes by Frank Rubolino

Jumala Quintet - Turtle Crossing (Clean Feed 038)

— Paul Flaherty: alto and tenor saxophone, Joe McPhee: tenor and soprano saxophone, pocket trumpet, Steve Swell: trombone, John Voigt: double bass, Laurence Cook: drums

May 2005

Dennis Gonzalez Spirit Meridian - Idle Wild (Clean Feed 035)

— Dennis Gonzalez (trumpet), Oliver Lake (alto saxophone), Ken Filiano (double bass), Michael T.A. Thompson (drums)

Vinny Golia Quartet - Sfumato (Clean Feed 036)

— Vinny Golia (soprano sax, clarinet, flute), Bobby Bradford (trumpet), Ken Filiano (double bass), Alex Cline (drums)

Whit Dickey Quintet - In a Heartbeat (Clean Feed 037)

— Whit Dickey (drums), Roy Campbell Jr (trumpet, pocket trumpet, flugelhorn), Rob Brown (alto saxophone), Joe Morris (guitar), Chris Lightcap (double bass)

MI3- We Will Make a Home for You (Clean Feed 039)

— Pandelis Karayorgis (fender rhodes), Nate McBride (double bass), Curt Newton (drums)

Gerry Hemingway Quartet - The Whimbler (Clean Feed 040)

— Ellery Eskelin (tenor sax), Herb Robertson (trumpet), Mark Helias (bass), Gerry Hemingway (drums)

July 2005

Paal Nilssen-Love Quartet - Townorchestrahouse (Clean Feed 041)

— Evan Parker (saxophones), Sten Sandell (piano), Ingebr Haker Flaten (double bass), Paal Nilssen-Love (drums)

Herb Robertson and the Downtown All Stars - Elaboration (Clean Feed 042)

— Herb Robertson (trumpet), Tim Berne (alto saxophone), Sylvie Courvoisier (piano), Mark Dresser (double bass), Tom Rainey (drums)

Mark Dresser - Unveil (Clean Feed 043)

— Mark Dresser (double bass)

Michael Blake Trio - Right Before Your Eyes (Clean Feed 044)

— Michael Blake (saxophones), Ben Allison (double bass), Jff Ballard (drums)

JeanMarc Foltz/Bruno Chevillon - Cette Opacité (Clean Feed 045)

— Jean-Marc Foltz (bass and Bd clarinets), Bruno Chevillon (double bass)